Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: My extension cord caught on fire last night

  1. #1
    Senior Member Mona~on~wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Cleburne, Texas, USA

    Unhappy My extension cord caught on fire last night

    The electrical extention cord I had running from my big tv, blow fan, and portable heater caught on fire last night. It runs under my rug and plugs in the wall in between the recliner & love seat. About 3:30 am I woke up with the portable heater & tv off and they wouldn't come back on. So I knew the power strips I had them plugged into kicked the breaker switch off. I couldn't smell anything & my smoke alarm wasn't going off. I started to call Freddy my bil next door but hated to wake him up. So I tried to stay awake and see if there was anything burning. I fell asleep around 4:15 am. When Karen my pca looked the plug in & plug were both melted and burned off. Thank you Lord Jesus!!! God is an awesome God! My nephew Sammy fixed all the plug ins & made a plug by itself for the portable heater. He said it pulls alot and all those together on one plug was too much. I knew it wasn't the best situation. That's why I had it on a power strip. It did what I wanted it to but slower than I wanted. I didn't think it would catch on fire first. I'm so stupid to trust a power strip with my life. I'm very thankful God was watching over me.

  2. #2
    Glad you're ok!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Foolish Old's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Florida Keys
    All's well that ends well. You now know what you need to do to stay safe. Nobody got hurt. You found another reason to praise your god. It's all good.

    An (over-simplified) good rule of thumb is not to plug any electric appliance that produces heat (heater, iron, toaster, etc.) as it's main function into an extension cord. If necessary to use an extension cord, use a heavy wire size and don't plug anything into the same cord.

    "We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

    "Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

  4. #4
    Thank God.

    Your nephew is right and Foolish gave good tips. I would add not to run cords under rugs as they can fray and become a fire hazzard. Especially with the weight of the w/c. I don't know your home situation, but generally, it is not wise to go to sleep w/ a portable space heater plugged in and operating.

  5. #5
    Agree with all of the above advice...

    Glad you are OK! Thank God is right!

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Whew, glad you are OK Mona!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

  7. #7
    wow. are your cords plugged into a power surge strip which then goes into outlet? plz get one!

  8. #8
    thankfully your ok, get another smoke detector for good measure,
    rugs and thin extension cord with heavy amps are both fire startes

    old building wire is hard to work around ,you really need extension cords going to different fused outlets.
    cauda equina

  9. #9
    glad you are ok Mona. Good tips on the cords and fire safety--some I had not have thought of.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    last house on the left
    Wow, glad you are OK Mona, but what a scary night! Definitely get yourself a heavy duty extension cord instead of a regular one and do not put it under carpet.

Similar Threads

  1. Fire sensation in all my spinal cord.
    By LillyC-7 in forum Pain
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-29-2009, 02:43 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 02:18 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 03:38 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-22-2003, 07:30 AM
  5. Disabled boy died before house caught fire
    By antiquity in forum Ability & Disability News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2003, 02:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts