Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: H1N1 Flu Questions

H1N1 Flu Questions

So. I've had the flu for more than a week now. At first I had headache, sore throat, fever, body aches, coughing, nasal congestion/runny nose and the most ginormous case of being wiped out and exhausted I've ever experienced.

The fever went away for less than a day and now it's back. The sore throat is gone, but other symptoms remain along with new ones.

When breathing, I wheeze and make a funny crackling noise in my chest. It sounds like "bubbles" being "popped" (only way I know to describe it). The wheezing is worse on one side than the other.

When will I no longer be contagious? When I no longer have fever? Will abx help the insane breathing biz I'm experiencing?

A family member got the flu at the same time I did. He can cough up what's in his lungs and is doing better than I am. Nothing's coming up for me no matter how I try to cough.

I'm due to leave on a month long vacay next weekend and need to be well. I not only want to be over this crap and feel better, but I don't want to spread germs either. Suggestions and info appreciated re: swine flu. TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    So. I've had the flu for more than a week now. At first I had headache, sore throat, fever, body aches, coughing, nasal congestion/runny nose and the most ginormous case of being wiped out and exhausted I've ever experienced.

The fever went away for less than a day and now it's back. The sore throat is gone, but other symptoms remain along with new ones.

When breathing, I wheeze and make a funny crackling noise in my chest. It sounds like "bubbles" being "popped" (only way I know to describe it). The wheezing is worse on one side than the other.

When will I no longer be contagious? When I no longer have fever? Will abx help the insane breathing biz I'm experiencing?

A family member got the flu at the same time I did. He can cough up what's in his lungs and is doing better than I am. Nothing's coming up for me no matter how I try to cough.

I'm due to leave on a month long vacay next weekend and need to be well. I not only want to be over this crap and feel better, but I don't want to spread germs either. Suggestions and info appreciated re: swine flu. TIA.
    I've been dealing with this very thing for more than a month, now. No matter how many times I use the inhaler, I cant clear this junk, even though I don't have a productive cough, or any cough for that matter.

It is centered on the right upper lobe/bronchi. Real high pitched. I sound like I'm bubbling and wheezing and you can really hear it when my mouth is open. I thought it was my asthma thing again even though I use steroids and an inhaler. I was going to ask my doc when I see her in November.

Be careful of pneumonia or bronchitis.

I hear that you are supposed to be without fever for several days before you are no longer contagious. I havent tried antibiotics for the chest thing because it doesn't seem to be an infection.

Take care and I hope you get to go on your vacation.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

You need to go to a doctor ASAP, are you taking tamiflu? sounds like bronchitis and you need antibiotics and posssibly an inhaler.
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You need to go to a doctor ASAP, are you taking tamiflu? sounds like bronchitis and you need antibiotics and posssibly an inhaler.
    CWO
    I'm not on Tamiflu.

Got it re: getting to the doctor. Will do.

Hope you can see the doc soon, I have always been told that the fever leaving and then coming back later is a bad sign.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Viral illnesses like the flu can easily lead to bacterial infections such as a chest infection. You sound like you need antibiotics asap
    [IMG]file:///Users/Mememe/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

My MD had me on clarithromycin almost immediately after listening to my chest. It took a while to work but after day 8 I started to have less junk in my lungs.

Does having had the pneumonia vaccine help at all for the h1n1 flu?

I had the same thing where I had flu symptons and then I would feel better but then I would feel sick again, I didn't get any wheezing in my chest tho and now a week later I'm 100% better. Last year I had a bad cold which developed into bronchitis, I couldn't get the junk out even tho I have good technique to cough, so my doctor prescribed me some antibiotics to clear it up before it turned into pneumonia. See your doctor to clear it up.

Praying your Dr. gives you some good meds and you get well asap.
    i hope you get to go on vacation. {hugs} Mona