Thread: Government assistance in getting a vehicle

Government assistance in getting a vehicle

I would like to know if anyone knows who I would need to contact about getting a handicap accessible vehicle for myself. I've heard of someone that got help getting a van with a lift and the hand controls. I really need another vehicle. One because the one I have is 22 years old and I'd like to have something more reliable. Secondly because I need something that will be easier to get my chair in and out of.

I'm wanting either a van with a lift and hand controls, but I don't know if I like the idea of driving a van because they are so big. It would also depend on how much the insurance would be.

Another vehicle I am interested in would be a three door Saturn coupe with power seats. That way I'd have that extra room to get the chair in and would be able to adjust the seats if I needed to.

Or just get a car topper to put on any kind of car that I could drive.

Do you work or go to school, and is driving the only option for you to get there? If so, the Dept. of Voc Rehab in your state may help with some of the costs. In my state this is only true if you have no other options, such as public buses or paratransit, and they will not help if you don't need it to work or go to school (ie, if you are not working or going to school, they do not contribute anything).

I don't know of any other government programs that pay for vehicles. There may be local charity groups that will help. Lots of people who don't work save money for they vehicles using a PASS, but this can take some time. A used vehicle will save you a significant amount of money.

(KLD)

I don't currently work or go to school, but I'm wanting to go back to college in the spring. I'm working with someone on getting financial help on that now. I think they are from Voc Rehab and I have a meeting with them next week.

I also don't have any public transportation around here except the vans that will take people to doctor's appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by faith9778 View Post
    I don't currently work or go to school, but I'm wanting to go back to college in the spring. I'm working with someone on getting financial help on that now. I think they are from Voc Rehab and I have a meeting with them next week.

I also don't have any public transportation around here except the vans that will take people to doctor's appointments.

georgia helps i had to buy the vehicle theypaid for making it assecable but you had to be in i forget the name but it was where u went back to work

Talk with your VR counselor, but in my state you have to be registered for school and/or have a job that you cannot get to in any other way before they will help with the costs of a vehicle or the adaptions for your vehicle, and that must also be part of your formal VR plan.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by faith9778 View Post
    I would like to know if anyone knows who I would need to contact about getting a handicap accessible vehicle for myself. I've heard of someone that got help getting a van with a lift and the hand controls. I really need another vehicle. One because the one I have is 22 years old and I'd like to have something more reliable. Secondly because I need something that will be easier to get my chair in and out of.

I'm wanting either a van with a lift and hand controls, but I don't know if I like the idea of driving a van because they are so big. It would also depend on how much the insurance would be.

Another vehicle I am interested in would be a three door Saturn coupe with power seats. That way I'd have that extra room to get the chair in and would be able to adjust the seats if I needed to.

Or just get a car topper to put on any kind of car that I could drive.

Faith: Another source of info for help in getting an accessible vehicle would be your vehicle conversion dealers. Carefully research each converter and the types of vehicles each converts.

From your post I gather you may not need a vehicle with a ramp entrance. I know nothing about car toppers, but would you have to lift the chair up an into the topper? Sounds like a real chore.

Honda produces the Element, a small vehicle that is being converted including wheelchair ramps. Take a look at one, may be great for you.

Saturn is going out of business, so beware.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now