Thread: Supra Pubic Cath, Bladder Pain

Supra Pubic Cath, Bladder Pain

I’ve had a Supra Pubic Catheter for a dozen years or so. I get my bladder scoped now and then and it looks fine. A small area that looked irritated, probably from the catheter, but Uro says it’s in great shape.. Everything is looking OK and feeling OK, but a few times I’ve gotten really bad pain in my abdomen area. Like want to bend over kind of pain. I always at first think it’s a stomach thing because it causes gas, but then remember that last time it was my catheter. It’s draining fine, urine looks ok, no UTIs. But once I change my cath, the pain goes away. This last time not only was there pain, but I was so dizzy I could hardly sit up. I happened to have a doctor appointment yesterday and my BP was 71/4?. I’m a C5 complete, I thought I wouldn’t feel the bladder other than dysreflexia. I’m not sweating nor have a headache. Anytime I have a bladder problem (UTI, cath) it causes gas. Is this just the catheter hitting an irritated area or could there be something else? Thanks, Greg
    Brought to you by: atrophied&twitch

I don't know why when you have a uti you have gas. or why you would be having pain r/t bladder.
    Are you having regular bm's? It does sound like a vasovagal rsponse which can happen with abdominol pain an causes a drop in blood pressure.
    Need to get some tests run and an x-ray.

Yes, my BM's are fine. I'm sure it's the SP cath, once I change it, the pain has always gone away. Although not this last time. The pain came back after a couple hours. As far as the gas, one uro told me any bladder irritation can cause abdomen spasms that cause gas. I just know anything that can cause dysreflexia on me causes me to get gas too. I think it's time for a uro check-up. Thanks
    Brought to you by: atrophied&twitch

My sp cath is causining me pain, i feel i am leainking so some pee is getteing out. What can i do to fix this? Is there any solutinton?

Are you actually leaking urine (your clothing or sheets are wet) or do you just have this sensation? If you are not actually leaking, this may be a form of neuropathic pain, and would be appropriately treated as such with meds such as gabapentin if it is really a bad problem.

(KLD)