Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** Announcement: DOWNTIME Thursday, 10/22

*** Announcement: DOWNTIME Thursday, 10/22

Well folks, we be getting an upgrade!

Previous upgrades were small and downtime was often less than 10 minutes, but I hesitate to offer a firm guestimate for Thursday as this is going to be a major software upgrade that will add a LOT of new features.

That said, I hope to start around 0530 Eastern and be finished by 0700.

</psa>

This'll be a quick upgrade—vBulletin's new software isn't available for download yet, even though it's available for sale. Boo.

Steven
    Last edited by Steven Edwards; 10-20-2009 at 08:15 PM.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

Wiki progs

There is a diversity of free wiki (but not webforum) progs in Debian packaged ready to go. Some distros are a beauty contest and bimbo always wins. Unfortunately many depend on Apatchy, MySQL and PHP. If you look hard you may find ones that don't. If it needs to be heavily customised then you may have to run upstream any way.

I was wrong. Could only find:
    Code:
    phpbb3 - A fully featured and skinnable flat (non-threaded) webforum
    in Debian stable and threading is a requirement.

Only Perl and Python work as modules in threaded Apatchy2. You must now use CGI for PHP.

The power of Linux comes from the power of Unix so stay away from anything that can also run on Microsoft unless it runs under the Unix security model (via GygWin, Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX (SFU) or Subsystem for UNIX-based Applications (SUA), etc.).

Do you want to and can you fork the free vBulletin?
    Is the old one GPL?

The real power of Debian is when you only ever say "Yes":
    Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    y
    y
    y
    :
    and it works as the maintainer intended. If not file a bug and it will be fixed or the package will go away and there will still be plenty to choose from.

Not all questions are "Yes" or something dangerous. New pkgs you may have to answer a few questions. If you get the answer wrong you can always get it to ask you again with:
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure pkg-name

I have customised mediawiki to work with user accounts, but would not recommend it for general use. It is designed to be anonymous. It depends on the AMP stack. It was only so content posted by members could be re-used on the public Wikipedia.
    Last edited by zagam; 10-21-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: No diversity of threaded webforum progs at all

Thank you, Steven, all your hard work getting this back on line. Wise.

You're welcome, Wise.

I'm going to take a break now—this was the stupidest "fix" I have ever seen and I don't quite understand the why of it yet. (Thankfully, knowing the How of it will allow me to fix the problem if it recurs.)

Sorry for the downtime.

Steven
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Well done and many thanks Brains!

How can we get the new features from the upgraded CC site?

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication, Steven. This place would be lost without you. *hugs and a grope!*
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    How can we get the new features from the upgraded CC site?
    This was mostly just a security update, so nothing yet unfortunately. While vBulletin's download site contains a link to v4.0, it's apparently not out yet.

Sorry for any disappointment.

Thanks for fixing it Steven but you know i'm still going to give you a hard time for "breaking it" if you do it again.

Thank you Steven.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria