Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Money can't buy anything

Money can't buy anything

Last night my son realized that I really can't be fixed. We bought a lottery ticket which we rarely do. I got one for each of us. We were talking about what we would do if we won. He said, "If my ticket wins I will fix your back and spinal cord." Poor fella. I told him that no amount of money could do that. I told him even Superman was rich and he couldn't buy a fix. I don't think I've ever seen him look so sad.

It makes me sad because I know that they hate my injury as much as me. I always know that it impacts their life but at times it takes my breath to know that thye have to hurt because of this also. I think as a mom anytime something hurts your kids it kills you to not be able to fix it. We are strong and we do lots of things but I get sick of the occasional waves of having to accept there's nothing we can do about it.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

With your perseverance, you teach your children far more than you deprive them. One day they'll realize the amazing energy it took for you to give them the great life they have.
    Just yesterday you taught him that money can't buy everything.

Well said Van Quad...THAT is what gets me through the day!
    "Its not about being right. It's about getting it right."
    Joe Dumars

Van Quad said it better than I can.

You have never given up, despite some horrible circumstances and obstacles.

You teach them more than you know.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

You're a great mom, and arwe forced to teach hard lessons, but you're doing fine! He'll thank you for it someday.

I hear you... I know how hard it is to keep pushing/being a good mom in spite of SCI. And no matter how well we do theres still the hurt/guilt that they are missing out on an AB mom.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

"I always know that it impacts their life but at times it takes my breath to know that thye have to hurt because of this also."

Just wanted to echo that in particular.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

I also agree. Just the other day I realized my daughter doesn't remember Mommy walking. I know we do all we can, but I guess it's that I know what they're missing, even if they don't.

I have been talking with my 24 year old daughter and she is a little bitter over all the things that she missed. Like the last day on highschool, the day she got her sertificate as a nurse, all the skiing trips we should have taken, the school trips when all the other mothers did go, I was never there.

But she is happy I was nearly always there, a few people here are so lucky they had their mother home all their childhood.

But as you can see in the thread in woman only it is not enough for the autorothies. I am sad and sorry because of that.
    TH 12, 43 years post

VQ summed it up so well.They will miss things,but they'll never be deprived with a mom like you.I'm sorry your heart aches for them though.