Thread: Computer, TV, and Phone options.

Computer, TV, and Phone options.

There is a lot of reading to do, so I would like to post here and find out what works with what.

Basically, the questions are how can everything be connected. For instance, what will DSL services do. Also satellite access. Is there any benefits in cost in doing these or is direct internet connection still relatively cheap.

David

Chat on This: What Should Russ Get?
    by Tom Merritt

Our old buddy Russ, line producer of The Screen Savers and behind-the-scenes gossip columnist, has a dilemma. He wants to get a new connection to the Internet.

The Rest of the Story

You may also want to go to Broadband Reports.

http://www.dslreports.com/

PN

With satelite you have a bit of a lag, but I understand connection speeds are rather fast. No idea of the cost.
    DSl takes a while to get connected, I'm on my 11th day of waiting for the ready light on my modem to stop blinking.
    Plain old telephone? it's a bit slow, but if you've never gone faster, you won't notice.
    Cable? Very fast, but you and all your neighbors are on the same wire, so if the kid accross the street is downloading a new dvd that can effect your connection speed.

http://krstofer.org

Quick tip on DSL problems, do not have any electronic dimmers in your house, they will tear up the DSL service.

Originally posted by *Andy*:

Quick tip on DSL problems, do not have any electronic dimmers in your house, they will tear up the DSL service.
    My dimmers don't seem to interfere with my DSL.

David,

I suggest you go with cable Internet. My second choice would be a DSL connection.

PN

Hi,

My main concern is how can I use the phone with a computer or TV to help integrate things. Whazzzz up with web tv and how can a computer be used to watch any tv programs?

God Bless America,

David

WorldTV 2.0 lists streaming video feeds from stations worldwide in a simple, bare-bones interface. This freeware lets you watch and record TV from dozens of countries by using Windows Media Player. (You can also add streams that aren't listed in default menu.) Packing faux-PVR features, WorldTV 2.0 saves video to your hard drive in real time, lets you set future record times, and even allows you to record multiple streams.

PN

http://www.netfor2.com/

[This message was edited by PN on 09-04-03 at 08:51 PM.]

David,

If you have cable Internet hooked up to your PC along with a TV tuner card, you should be able to watch TV on your computer.

PN

cjo
    posted 02-11-03 07:24 PM
    PN and Pat,

I have a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400 video card that has an S-Video output. I have this hooked up to a 53" Hitachi HDTV(and a 17" CRT monitor). It works really well. I'm taking graduate courses online and the lectures are broadcast using streaming video via the Internet. When I watch the lectures, I just switch the TV over to the proper input and it's like I'm in the classroom. I also have a wireless keyboard/mouse for additional convenience when surfing.

If you have a standard video card, I believe you can buy a scan convertor to use any TV as a monitor but I can't guarantee quality.