Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what is life expectancy for quads ?

39 plus years post at age 62. Never believed in stats or averages, we are ALL here on borrowed time. Live life everyday like it was your last!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by jhope View Post
    who is the oldest quad you know?
    on this forum?
    It appears to be me at this time. For your info, I have several quad friends whose injuries date back to the early 1960s, and they are doing well. On died a couple of years ago after a heart attack, but he had bad genes. His father and uncles all died relatively young from heart problems.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JGNI View Post
    ^^^^^^^

A good one, LOL, you really made me laugh SCIfor55years, you are an inspiration to live longer.
    Over the years, countless times people have expressed their intent to pray for my recovery, etc. I still get that from time to time and my response nowadays is that some of us might be better off not being brought to God's attention! lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Banned
    Montana where men are men, and sheep are nervous.
    I'm 32, and I am fairly certain I will make it to 33 because my birthday is this week, but I doubt I will make 34. I am at the end of my 2-5 year window. My roommate has had it for longer, but he decided to vent. I do not want to do that.

I do not have a spinal cord injury though.

I have out lived many of my quad friends. I have a para friend that in his 70's and still working.
    Before WWII and antibiotics I think the life expectancy of quad was like 4 months

My husband is 41 and has been injured 21 years. I'm pretty sure he'll outlive me because he knows I'd kill him if he died first. But it comes up alot, when I married Chad someone close to me basically implied it would be a short marriage because, and I quote, "you never see any old quads". Pfffft.

KLD - you are incorrect about an average. An average is the sum divided by the total. The median is the point at which 50% of people fall above and below. For example:

1 + 1 + + 4 + 6 + 100 = 112
    average (also called the mean) = 112 / 5 = approx 22

The median here would be 4 as half the observations fall below (1 and 1) and half above (6,100).

Especially when the distributions are not uniform, the mean and median can be very different.

A lesson from your friendly statisician.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Hey reedye,
    Closing in on 40yrs post myself. My biggest problem is osteoprosis. I can break a femur just picking up a leg. It has really affected my once totally independent life. The problem probably started when initally injured and my bones hadn't grown completely when I was taken off all calcium. They said at Rusk the calcium caused bladder stones that plagued me every 6months those 1st years. I then blame myself. At 19 I moved out on my own and left my tilt table in my parents kitchen. I hated it. Mom would throw me on it, strap me in, crank me up then forget about me. I had no table, just stood there like frankenstein. She'd forget about me and the younger kids and their friends would start coming home. Sometimes I remember being pushed facing a wall so a kid could access the fridge, etc. I hated it. My parents downsized after the 1st 4 of us had moved out. I donated it to an adaptive phys-ed program I started at college.
    I swam alot and competed in track but none of that helped my bones. Now it's hormones. Menopause weakens them more.
    My other issue is lungs. I started smoking as a young teen. At 16 when 1st injured Doctors would light them for me. When on a stryker frame a boyfriend got me a Zippo lighter. Bics which shut off if dropped had not yet been invented. Surprising I didn't burn myself and the place down. I quit about 15yrs ago but not soon enough. I have to be very careful not to catch a cold.
    Well people, if I could do anything different it would drink milk, use the damned tilt table and not smoke cigarettes.

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post

KLD - you are incorrect about an average. An average is the sum divided by the total. The median is the point at which 50% of people fall above and below. For example:

The median here would be 4 as half the observations fall below (1 and 1) and half above (6,100).

Especially when the distributions are not uniform, the mean and median can be very different.

Actually Ami, average is a general term, and mean, median and mode are all different types of averages. We do tend to use average to refer to mean most of the time, but it can refer to the others as well.

A lesson from your friendly mathematician. :P
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post

Actually Ami, while average is commonly used to refer to the arithmetic mean; mean, median and mode can also all be defined as different types of averages. We do tend to use average to refer to mean most of the time, but it can refer to the others as well. *

A lesson from your friendly mathematician.

(Now the mode in your example above would be 1, showing that you are absolutely correct that we need to be careful when using averages to prove anything, as they can be very different depending on how they are calculated.)

* Here is an example using the definition the way I have always been taught (although my degree is in mathematics, not statistics). There are also many places where it is defined your way.
    Last edited by sjean423; 10-19-2009 at 02:46 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Not gonna lie... those stats just made me sick.

I know that there are a lot of factors that play into them and they may be outdated, but that was really just something that I didn't need to read right now.