Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: what is life expectancy for quads ?

what is life expectancy for quads ?

life expectancy for quads is 60 years. that is what was posted but is that a fact? i need to know how things are going to go down. will my body just go down hill '' i am 46'' 14 years left. how will i be in 10 years? it's down hill from here..................

it depends on your level and your age of your accident. i was told that average age was 40 for a c/6 c/7 and i was 19 years old when i had my accident. so i guess i have about two more years left give or take. so i really hope the stem cells hurry up.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

dont you die early and bring down the curve. lol

It depends a lot on 1) level of injury, 2) completeness of injury, and 3) age at injury. Keep in mind though that these numbers are based on people injured some time ago, when care was not as good, and they are AVERAGES, meaning that roughly half the people exceeded these ages and half did not live this long. You can expect that if you take better care of yourself, you will be in the former group rather than the latter.

(from the SCI Model Systems database):

(KLD)

well, i believe jill kinmont black is still alive....injured at 18 or something in 1959, c5? joni tada is still fine. i don't believe in stats. lost everybody in my family and then best friend, when my injury should have done me in a while ago. don't believe them.

Jill Kinmont Boothe was actually injured in 1955 when she was training for the 1956 Olympics. She was 19 at the time, so she has been injured 54 years and is currently 73 years old.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by jhope View Post
    life expectancy for quads is 60 years. that is what was posted but is that a fact? i need to know how things are going to go down. will my body just go down hill '' i am 46'' 14 years left. how will i be in 10 years? it's down hill from here..................
    The problem with the data is that they are based on people who have been injured and treated when medical care was less advanced. The only accurate answer is that with optimal medical care, you have a reasonable chance of reaching a normal life expectancy for your gender/race group.

I have been a C5,6,7 complete quad for 55 years and will be 72 next month. I have survived a partial gastrectomy, cystectomy, two leg fractures, and testicular cancer.

My advice is to live sinfully like me and God won't want you. lol
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

^^^^^^^

A good one, LOL, you really made me laugh SCIfor55years, you are an inspiration to live longer.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

who is the oldest quad you know?
    on this forum?

43 years post SCI for me, and I am 60 years old. I have no plans of going to the great beyond anytime soon!