Thread: Topamax From Gabapentin

Topamax From Gabapentin

I have gone through all the threads that have the word Topamax in them, but I am still looking for an answer.
    I am trying to find out from anyone that was on Gabapentin who switched to Topamax what the dosage change was.
    I am currently on 3100 mg of Gabapentin a day and the doctor at the Calgary Pain Clinic is switching me over to Topamax.
    Starting with 25mg a day to 75mg a day within a couple of weeks and dropping some Gab. on the way.

I did try to do this with Lyrica last year but whoa nelly got a big increase in the belly. ha ha.

Thoughts?

Geoffrey

i tried gabapentin did nothin but weight gain too been on topomax for a few months now slowly being built up to a stable does of 400mg a day big improvement taken pain level from a 10 to a 6 and bonus some weight loss yippee

Quote Originally Posted by jaquie View Post
    i tried gabapentin did nothin but weight gain too been on topomax for a few months now slowly being built up to a stable does of 400mg a day big improvement taken pain level from a 10 to a 6 and bonus some weight loss yippee
    Thanks very much.

I got some weight loss from topmax as well, not much else though, only take 75mg x3 a day myself. I tried to switch from lyrica but after 3 days of pure hell and no sleep I decided to go back on the lyrica (I did tapper), I was able to cut back, 75mg x3. The best med I found for my nouropathic pain is methadone, I take 10mg x3.
    Dave
    C5/C6 complete
    http://www.davegrotzinger.com
    http://www.daves-webdesign.com

"I knew all the rules but the rules did not know me guaranteed..." - Eddie Vedder

Thanks Dave,
    I am not sure what is happening with me at the moment. I am cutting down on the Gabepentin (from 3100 to 2400)increasing the Topamax - at 50 mg (25 x2) but also taking some percocet due to my broken femur (just one a day though). It might be a good time to do this switch. I see the Pain Clinic Doctor on Monday and I will be at 75 mg of Topamax by then and 2100 or 1800 mg of Gab. I am hoping that by mid November I am at 150 mg of Topamax and 0 Gab.

Hi,
    Well on Nov 2 I was at 150 mg of Topomax and zero Gab and within about three days I started to go through hell. I could not handle it very well at all. I don't know if my broken femur was still of no help but after 6 days I thought forget this and I looked at all my charts and figured 400 gab and 150 top was good so I am currently on that. Things have been pretty good for the last few days so I think I have found a level point until I can get back to the doctor November 30th. I am hoping that another 25 mg of Topomax 3 times a day will allow me to drop the 400 mg of Gab.
    Geoffrey

Hi,
    It has been some time now but I have been on Topamax for a few months. I take 100mg 3 times a day, and 25 mg of Amitriptyline before bed. I still have pain but it is not as bad as it was when I was on 3100 mg of Gabapentin. I am still dealing with side affects from my broken femur - I will get x-rays and a bone density test on Monday so they can figure out what to do with the calcium deposit around my knee cap on my broken leg side.
    Also the reports of wieght loss from Topamax are true - I have lost wieght. Sadly however the drug makes the taste of food different. A little metalic tasting sometimes.

Hi, Geoffrey.

I'm glad the Topamax is helping you. I am one of those who does not have fond thoughts of it at all and feel I need to share my experience. I'm sure you'll get some positive feedback, but there's always a bad apple in the bunch, and this time it's me.

I was on Amitriptyline and Topamax to begin with, and I still have nightmares when I think about it. I'm NOT kidding at all. Just be careful. I know that all these meds we try make us all react differently, but that one sent me into a tailspin. After a pretty severe episode, I had to wean myself off of it and try the Gabapentin. I'm now on Lyrica -- but back to Topamax... yes, it will definitely take away your appetite, and to the point -maybe- that you can't put a bite up to your mouth. That's what happened to me. My mother had to come in from out of town to nurse me back to health and take me to the doctor. I developed a high fever, I had sweats, then cold, back and forth, very depressed and had outbursts of crying episodes, I couldn't think, I couldn't remember words, couldn't eat, and I could go on and on. I remember my mom bringing down some of those big plums (or pluots) and she cut it up in little baby bites, and me getting five little bites down my throat was the hardest thing to do, but what a success! That was BIG at the time. But... I've heard of people who hate Lyrica and say that it should be banned from the market. We each have to try to get that just-right brew. So, Geoffrey, I hope you've found it. I really wish it would have worked for me because the Lyrica has put 10 lbs on me that I'm finding hard to get off. Plus, the side effects are there, but not anything I can't deal with as of yet.

So I've tried the Amitriptyline, Topamax, Gabapentin, and now Lyrica, and I'm beginning to get nervous that I'll run out of possibilities if Lyrica doesn't cut it.

Oh, and it will leave a terrible metalic taste in your mouth when drinking anything carbonated; just terrible. I still can't enjoy a soft drink like I used to. I don't think my taste will ever be the same when it comes to that, because it's been many, many months since I've been off of it, probably close to nine or ten months.

I would say just to please listen to your body, because you do NOT want to have to be taken to the doctor because you absolutely can't eat, and Topamax really decreases the appetite. My doctor told me it would, but that wasn't even a concern, that it would put a kink in my health to that degree. I just wanted relief from the burning.

Again, I hope the relief continues for you. Keep us posted. I don't mean to be a downer re the med, but I just wanted you to know my story. I guess we'll never know unless we try. We all have our battle scars.

The best of luck to you!

KK

p.s. I almost forgot... for me, the Lyrica has worked best out of the meds I've tried so far. Topamax might have ended up helping more had I been able to tolerate it

It is so interesting how affect us all differently. I had terrible reactions to both lyrica and cymbalta. I've been on neurontin for 2 yrs now at 2400 mg and my pain symptoms are getting worse. I tried to increase it but I became very agitated, even after 3 weeks at 3200mg. Am now trying noritryptiline but it keeps me up at night. I am going to ask my new pain doc about Topamax as he didn't mention it to me. I'll post any updates here.

Good luck to everyone! Pain sucks the life out good people.