Thread: Charger question

Charger question

My charger died, came with a chair that has 22nf batteries (Q600). I have an old charger that came with my previous chair that had group 24 batteries (invacare ranger). Any risk in using the old charger on the Q600?

Check the amp. if they are the same or a little lower then the 1 that is dead & they are the same volts most likely be OK is the plug the same on both chairs

Quote Originally Posted by Fragile View Post
    My charger died, came with a chair that has 22nf batteries (Q600). I have an old charger that came with my previous chair that had group 24 batteries (invacare ranger). Any risk in using the old charger on the Q600?
    Just don't use any charger over 8 amps. The wireing in your Q600 is not designed for any higher current than that. More may overheat/melt your cableing. I use an invacare 8 amp on my Pride Jazzy Select 14 w/nf22 batteries with no problems. (when I am in a hurry)

I also have an Invavare Storm 3G arrow (grp 24 batts), 2 Quickie S-646-se's (grp 24 batts), a Permobil C300 (grp 34 batts), ALL USE THE SAME CHARGERS. Pin configurations are the same on these chair charger inputs. (all compatible). I use both 8 amp Lester heavy and 8 amp solid state Invacare chargers on all. These brands of chairs match the same charger plug.

I would guess all prides of the present era , yours and mine, take the same charger plugs.

Call your DME today to find out for SURE if they do use the same charger plugs. I BET THEY DO. Soon, so you do not run your batteries down too far, or let them sit depleated. Once Plate Sulfation starts from deep cycle discharge or sitting in half charged state for extended periods, your batteries will be permanently damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Just don't use any charger over 8 amps. The wireing in your Q600 is not designed for any higher current than that. More may overheat/melt your cableing.
    You are right I also had an Invacare Storm 3G arrow (10 years ago) it can with a charger with 12 or 15 amps & it took the DME 2 years to figure it out many blown fuses & wiring replaced then got the right charger.

thanks for the information, my old charger (Lester) indicates 4 amps AC and 8 amps DC, so I guess it should be okay. The plug is the same. Unfortunately the DME provider who sold me the chair can't help me after some changes with Medicaid in my state. I learned the hard way a few years ago about keeping the batteries charged at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    ... I use an invacare 8 amp on my Pride Jazzy Select 14 w/nf22 batteries with no problems. (when I am in a hurry)

I also have an Invavare Storm 3G arrow (grp 24 batts), 2 Quickie S-646-se's (grp 24 batts), a Permobil C300 (grp 34 batts), ALL USE THE SAME CHARGERS. ... .
    John, you have more chairs laying about that I do! Funny how that happens!

Economy said 'Chair Up' now

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    John, you have more chairs laying about that I do! Funny how that happens!
    Van Quad,

It's no accident that I collect powerchairs. I also have others that I did not mention.

I turned it into a hobby to make it fun.

While my government is preparing heavy DME cutbacks, I have collected enough 'almost new" low time powerchairs to last me the rest of my life without ANY government or private funding help. These were all selective buys from eBay and Craigslist. Really cheap to do if you watch and wait.

I only use one chair. When it breaks, I'll use another and so on as I go through my inventory.
    Although all but one powerchair now have 80% to 100% battery life, (that's how they came), I'll not replace any batteries when they die from time. I charge all chairs once a week to maintain them until they naturally die. After that, I will only keep HOT batteries in 2 chairs at a time. A primary and a backup.

My state of California is bankrupt. Cutbacks have been extensive.
    The Feds are loosing their willingness and soon their ability to fund DME supplies, (of any quality or quantity).

I'm ready. I have covered myself for the extreem. Absence of any government issued mobility equipment.
    I have happily moved on to living my life without concern about my mobility.
    -------------------
    'FRAGILE'
    I'm sorry about the Medicaid in your state. Here too, many have been cut off.
    Good luck with your chair and any other medical need funding.
    Johnw