Thread: Digestion Problems

Digestion Problems

Does anyone have trouble digesting lettuce? It seems that in the last month my son has been eating a lot of salads. Could this be the issue with gas and bloating? His bowel program is going pretty good, using the magic bullets, but does not always feel that he is "finished". The only thing different in his diet is lettuce/salads. We have tried eliminating salads from his diet, but still are having issues - although, not as often. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

What kind of lettuce? Dark green lettuce like Romaine is high in fiber and much healthier than iceberg. Spinach is even higher. It is important to have enough fiber, so don't cut out salads (he should have at least 30 gm. of fiber daily) but you may want to look at both the type of lettuce and any additional items and dressing he is using. I assume when you say stomach problems this is gas??? Is he actually having accidents too??

(KLD)

KLD, thank you for your response. He has been eating both romaine and ice burg. The issues have been gas and some accidents - not really bad ones, more like wet farts. It just started when he decided to "eat healthy". Since he stopped the salads, things have settled down a bit. I also started him on Align thinking this may help as well. He takes Fiber One yogurt at nite with other fiber-type bars before bed which he has always done and tolerates them well. Question: I thought that by adding fiber to your diet, the fiber pulls the water out and causes the stool to be more formed. It seems that the more fiber my son eats, the more loose his stools are. It seems to be a very fine line/delicate balance between constipation and diarrhea. Thoughts? Thanks!

No, fiber makes stool softer (but should not make it loose) because it helps 1) stretch the gut which increases peristalsis, and 2) prevents over-drying of the stool by moving stool more quickly through the gut.

A fiber type medication like Fibercon (calcium polycarbophyl) but not Metamucil (psyllium) will also help to firm up stool.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Mombo View Post
    I also started him on Align thinking this may help as well.
    Trying Align gave me A LOT of gas.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

JGNI, how long did you take the Align? So far my son seems to be tolerating it. He has completely given up on lettuce for the time being.

Maybe not long enough, around 8 days but I could not tolerate it anymore, too much gas and then diarrhea. It doesn't seem to be for me.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)