Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Drug to Cure Spinal Cord Injuries?

A Drug to Cure Spinal Cord Injuries?

THURSDAY, Oct. 15 -- Researchers have identified a potential target for drug treatment of spinal cord injuries.

Cells in spinal cord scar tissue release molecules that prevent severed nerve fibers from passing the damaged area and making new connections that would restore feeling and movement.

In the new study, researchers identified where these molecules -- chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans (CSPGs) -- bind to the surface of neurons. This location may offer a target for drug therapy.

More on: http://www.drugs.com/news/a-cure-spi...ies-20384.html

Wow that sounded interesting. They need to link up with Dr Davies on that note.

It bothers me why the writer of this article chose to substitute all these made-up words for the correct names. The article used the words "docking station" for "receptor". Likewise, the article used the word "spinal scar" for "astrocytes" and "macrophages". At least they used the word chondroitin-6-sulfate-proteoglycan (CSPG) properly.

This is an important study... the description of the CSPG receptor. It is an important therapeutic target.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Duran View Post
    THURSDAY, Oct. 15 -- Researchers have identified a potential target for drug treatment of spinal cord injuries.

Cells in spinal cord scar tissue release molecules that prevent severed nerve fibers from passing the damaged area and making new connections that would restore feeling and movement.

In the new study, researchers identified where these molecules -- chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans (CSPGs) -- bind to the surface of neurons. This location may offer a target for drug therapy.

More on: http://www.drugs.com/news/a-cure-spi...ies-20384.html

Dr wise

this is all good news but can any one tell us where we go from here ? ? and when can we get it

Promising Therapeutic Target For Central Nervous System Injuries Identified

ScienceDaily (Oct. 16, 2009) — Scars can serve as double-edged swords in spinal cord injuries—saving a victim's life, but sealing his or her fate as a paraplegic or quadriplegic. The scar forms a wall around the wound, preventing the injury from spreading, but limiting opportunities for neural regeneration. Cells in the scar release molecules that keep severed nerve fibers from passing the damaged tissue, so they cannot connect with their original targets to restore motor and sensory function.

Now, a team of researchers from Harvard Medical School and Case Western Reserve University has identified where these potent molecules—called chondroitin sulfate proteoglycans (CSPGs)—bind to the surface of neurons, exposing a novel therapeutic target. Their findings appear online in the journal Science on Oct. 15.

"When John came up to me at a meeting in February and told me he'd found a receptor for CSPGs, I was shocked," says Silver. "In the regeneration field, we weren't sure how these molecules worked. We had some hypotheses, but we certainly didn't suspect that CSPGs were actually sitting on the surface of the neurons and talking directly to the cellular machinery."

Silver temporarily suspended projects in his lab to help Flanagan explore the significance of his discovery. Silver lab researchers tested how adult mice missing the PTP sigma receptor responded to an injury. They poked a hole into the spine, waited two weeks, and then imaged the growth of neurons in the area to assess regeneration. Neurons sent extensions into the fresh scar tissue surrounding the wound, something they don't do in normal mice.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1015141458.htm

Gimmegimmegimme - Now!

me too!!!
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Researchers identify promising therapeutic target for central nervous system injuries
    October 16, 2009 by admin

http://www.breakthroughdigest.com/sp...stem-injuries/

when will it be available 2 us ?

I want those drugs for christmas
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me