Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coumadin

Cool Coumadin

I was wondering if 5mgg of Coumadin daily causes constipation and are there any side effects to watch out for? Thanks

Coumadin does not cause constipation, either as a primary or secondary effect. There are many possible complications of Coumadin, primarily the risks of bleeding with injury or even spontaneously. Coumadin also interacts with many foods and other drugs which can either increase or decrease its effect, so this has to be carefully monitored.

(KLD)

Thanks. Is there another blood thinner I can try that doesn't interact with so many other things?

The only other one, which is rarely used for chronic conditions, is injectable heparin in various forms. Why are you on Coumadin?

(KLD)

Last November I had a blood clot in my right lung and after a bunch of blood tests, they couldn't find an explanation so they said it was caused from being immobile. They can't find a decent dose. My INr is always high.

I too had a pulmonry embolisma few yrs ago, I'm on warfarin)(rat poison) 2 mg which is small, but it's been many yrs.
    Last edited by fishin'guy; 10-14-2009 at 11:47 PM.

KLD, When can someone face out from Coumadin? My son never has blood clot but he is on the coumadin because of they put the filter in when he first injuried (14 mos post now). When he gets bloody nose, it's almost impossible to stop the bleeding.

How about Lovenox? Can that be used for a long period of time?

Lovenox can be used long term, but of course it does require 1-2X daily injections and blood levels must still be monitored periodically.

Currently, the thinking is that if you have had a DVT or PE that you should continue on anticoagulants 12-24 months, although some physicians feel you should continue indefinitely. If you have a removable vena cava filter and it has not been removed, then you should also continue on anticoagulation as this type of filter can actually cause clots.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by fishin'guy View Post
    I too had a pulmonry embolisma few yrs ago, I'm on warfarin)(rat poison) 2 mg which is small, but it's been many yrs.
    Yeah, I take the same rat poison, not Coumadin.