Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: SCINetUSA Website

Why should the government support it when we don't support it.

By that I mean as an example I just went to NSCIA And the United Spinal Association web sites, I searched, clinical trial, Davies, Kierstead, Geron, SCInetUSA and other top stuff and got an old Geron story at one, and that was it.

You are exactly right, I went to both of these sites and found very little information. They have an Advocacy site as a combined effort, very little there as well...nothing about what Dr Young is doing, how to help with funding, etc...

So I emailed them, the email doesnt work. I now have a call into their office in DC. Will post any response.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Spidergirl,

Just testing a patient, preparing the cells in a GMP facility, operating and transplanting the cells, doing 6 weeks of rehabilitation, and evaluating the patient for a year will cost $100,000 per patient. The phase 3 trial that we are planning has 4 groups of 60 patients (lithium, cell transplant, cell-transplant plus lithium, rehabilitation only) or $24 million.

Please understand that spinal cord injury clinical trials cost millions of dollars in the United States. That is why there have been so few (or no) spinal cord injury clinical trials. The only trials are those that are being funded by companies. Geron is likely to spend over $40 million on their phase 1 trial alone. We have to start thinking in terms of such amounts.

A lot of people are just sitting around waiting for clinical trials to start without understanding the finances behind such trials. They think that all I need to do is to snap my fingers and $24 million will show up. People are expecting miracles and that somebody else will take care of the problem. Please, history suggests we don't have a sugar daddy who will take care of the problem.

The concept behind the $1 a day project is to find about 10,000 people in each city/region to support a clinical trial program. If 10,000 people donate $1 a day, that adds up to $3.65 million per year. If Austin (Texas), for example, had 10,000 people donating $1 a day, that will support the hospital there (Brackendridge) to 1-2 years of clinical trials.

We are of course not relying solely on the JustaDollarPlease to provide all the funding for the trial. We are working with the hospitals to reduce the costs. I am working with Stemcyte to help them raise money for the trial. We will be applying to the government for funding. Most of the centers that we are working with have other ways of raising the money in their region. For example, in Austin, the Lone Star Foundation is raising the funds for the trial in Brackenridge.

Wise.
    I realize this must be quite frustrating, repeating to us the costs associated with trials and the need for funding. Most of us want to help and can do a much better job at promoting "Just One Dollar"

Will there be any time on July 22nd to have a discussion about funding? Status of NJ budget cuts? How we can restore that funding? I will be there and Random is planning to attend, she seems to be our best resource for information and who's who.

Dr.Wise,I've already said this but I repeat:take a pig,paralyse it by damaging spinal cord,wait a month,restore it's spinal cord function-and you may replicate your therapy to humans.It can't cost too much,you don't need all this "crazy traveling" and it may be done in your lab.May be I completely ignorant and what I propose is nonsense so,please,correct me.

Dr.Wise,do I have to say magic word "methylprednizolone" for causing you to reply me?

Quote Originally Posted by kivi66 View Post
    Dr.Wise,do I have to say magic word "methylprednizolone" for causing you to reply me?
    What you should do is calm down. Although some times he make look like that, Dr. Wise is not a supercyborg from the future that can be everywhere replying everyone's questions at the same time.

He'll reply eventually, take it easy please.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

It depresses me to think that some people critics of others for not donating anything towards a eventual cure, although I do myself.

I do not think that any of you would not know of others who are paralyzed s as well who are unable afford any donation as merely serving financially to place food on the table an maintaining a roof over their heads is a big ask in it’s self.

But I am surprise that you talk of the costs in the US which is understandable, but then why not use the funds to develop a clinical trial in another country where you get more value for your dollar?

I am not sure but I think that Australia and the US FDA have now the same standards and approval in one is the same in the other.

Therefore Dr Wise could the US get approval of a Clinical trial but carry the trial in Australia where the US dollar would have a larger effect in getting a cure developed and moving a cure for both countries forward?

I also think people give up supporting any causes because of the constant barrage of telemarketers and others that appear not achieve anything significant for ten or more years.

To get the general public to support and donate a cure would be to show that things are progressing forward on a yearly basis, like the rats then to human trials with or without success. Within a five year turn-a-over. Otherwise it appears nothing more than a scam for those marketing the cure.

Quote Originally Posted by 0xSquidy View Post
    What you should do is calm down. Although some times he make look like that, Dr. Wise is not a supercyborg from the future that can be everywhere replying everyone's questions at the same time.

He'll reply eventually, take it easy please.
    0xSquidy,thanks for surprisignly kindly comment.Just one correction - I did not ask question.

I was merely speaking about the animals. My doctors are doing clinical trials in Africa with 30 million in funding from what I understand. The main thing they have expressed is proving the therapies work on animals than the flood gates to funding on humans will soar. I am sorry if I am confused. There are huge bands w/ 10s of millions of fans worldwide that will help me but without suffice proof I am afraid they have nothing to play for...
    Birds Fly in Flocks, but Eagles Fly Alone...

Quote Originally Posted by kivi66 View Post
    Dr.Wise,I've already said this but I repeat:take a pig,paralyse it by damaging spinal cord,wait a month,restore it's spinal cord function-and you may replicate your therapy to humans.It can't cost too much,you don't need all this "crazy traveling" and it may be done in your lab.May be I completely ignorant and what I propose is nonsense so,please,correct me.
    Yes, Kivi66. You seem to believe that there is no evidence that umbilical cord blood mononuclear cells and lithium improve functional recovery in animals. I have posted here many times the papers that multiple investigators have published showing that umbilical cord blood cells improve walking in animals with spinal cord injury. Likewise, lithium alone has been shown to improve recovery in animals with spinal cord injury. Have you read any of the papers?

By the way, much published evidence supports the beneficial effects of methylprednisolone on spinal cord injury, including walking cats, dogs, and rats. Three clinical trials involving hundreds of patients showed that methylprednisolone improved recovery in humans. I know many people who probably would not be walking today if not for methylprednisolone. I don't understand. Why are you so negative, not just about methylprednisolone but about umbilical cord blood and lithium as well?

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 07-09-2010 at 11:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl View Post
    I was merely speaking about the animals. My doctors are doing clinical trials in Africa with 30 million in funding from what I understand. The main thing they have expressed is proving the therapies work on animals than the flood gates to funding on humans will soar. I am sorry if I am confused. There are huge bands w/ 10s of millions of fans worldwide that will help me but without suffice proof I am afraid they have nothing to play for...
    Spidergirl,

Many therapies are making animals walk after severe spinal cord injury. Few or none of those therapies have gone to clinical trials. Lack of preclinical data is not the reason why there are no clinical trials. We need clinical trials to test all the promising therapies.

I know that you know this but let me emphasize that I did not form the clinical trial networks to test just umbilical cord blood and lithium. ChinaSCINet and SCINetUSA were formed to test the most promising therapies. We decided as a group that umbilical cord blood plus lithium is the most promising and safest combination therapy to test in our first set of clinical trials in ChinaSCINet.

People seem to think that I developed umbilical cord blood and lithium therapy for spinal cord injury. This is not true. These are therapies that have been found to be effective by many investigators. I list some of the published studies below. There are many other supporting studies.

Studies supporting beneficial effects of cord blood on spinal cord injury
    1. Zhu Y, Feng S, Wang X. [Repair of spinal cord injury with rats' umbilical cord MSCs]. Zhongguo Xiu Fu Chong Jian Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2009;23(12):1491-6.
    2. Veeravalli KK, Dasari VR, Tsung AJ, Dinh DH, Gujrati M, Fassett D, et al. Human umbilical cord blood stem cells upregulate matrix metalloproteinase-2 in rats after spinal cord injury. Neurobiol Dis. 2009;36(1):200-12.
    3. Veeravalli KK, Dasari VR, Tsung AJ, Dinh DH, Gujrati M, Fassett D, et al. Stem cells downregulate the elevated levels of tissue plasminogen activator in rats after spinal cord injury. Neurochem Res. 2009;34(7):1183-94.
    4. Lee JH, Chang HS, Kang EH, Chung DJ, Choi CB, Hwang SH, et al. Percutaneous transplantation of human umbilical cord blood-derived multipotent stem cells in a canine model of spinal cord injury. J Neurosurg Spine. 2009;11(6):749-57.
    5. Dasari VR, Veeravalli KK, Tsung AJ, Gondi CS, Gujrati M, Dinh DH, et al. Neuronal apoptosis is inhibited by cord blood stem cells after spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma. 2009;26(11):2057-69.
    6. Cao FJ, Feng SQ. Human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells and the treatment of spinal cord injury. Chin Med J (Engl). 2009;122(2):225-31.
    7. Kao CH, Chen SH, Chio CC, Lin MT. Human umbilical cord blood-derived CD34+ cells may attenuate spinal cord injury by stimulating vascular endothelial and neurotrophic factors. Shock. 2008;29(1):49-55.
    8. Dasari VR, Spomar DG, Li L, Gujrati M, Rao JS, Dinh DH. Umbilical cord blood stem cell mediated downregulation of fas improves functional recovery of rats after spinal cord injury. Neurochem Res. 2008;33(1):134-49.
    9. Cho SR, Yang MS, Yim SH, Park JH, Lee JE, Eom YW, et al. Neurally induced umbilical cord blood cells modestly repair injured spinal cords. Neuroreport. 2008;19(13):1259-63.
    10. Lim JH, Byeon YE, Ryu HH, Jeong YH, Lee YW, Kim WH, et al. Transplantation of canine umbilical cord blood-derived mesenchymal stem cells in experimentally induced spinal cord injured dogs. J Vet Sci. 2007;8(3):275-82.
    11. Dasari VR, Spomar DG, Gondi CS, Sloffer CA, Saving KL, Gujrati M, et al. Axonal remyelination by cord blood stem cells after spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma. 2007;24(2):391-410.
    12. Sigurjonsson OE, Perreault MC, Egeland T, Glover JC. Adult human hematopoietic stem cells produce neurons efficiently in the regenerating chicken embryo spinal cord. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102(14):5227-32.
    13. Schultz SS. Adult stem cell application in spinal cord injury. Curr Drug Targets. 2005;6(1):63-73.
    14. Roussos I, Rodriguez M, Villan D, Ariza A, Rodriguez L, Garcia J. Development of a rat model of spinal cord injury and cellular transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2005;37(9):4127-30.
    15. Kuh SU, Cho YE, Yoon DH, Kim KN, Ha Y. Functional recovery after human umbilical cord blood cells transplantation with brain-derived neutrophic factor into the spinal cord injured rat. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 2005;147(9):985-92.
    16. Zhao ZM, Li HJ, Liu HY, Lu SH, Yang RC, Zhang QJ, et al. Intraspinal transplantation of CD34+ human umbilical cord blood cells after spinal cord hemisection injury improves functional recovery in adult rats. Cell Transplant. 2004;13(2):113-22.
    17. Li HJ, Liu HY, Zhao ZM, Lu SH, Yang RC, Zhu HF, et al. [Transplantation of human umbilical cord stem cells improves neurological function recovery after spinal cord injury in rats]. Zhongguo Yi Xue Ke Xue Yuan Xue Bao. 2004;26(1):38-42.
    18. Saporta S, Kim JJ, Willing AE, Fu ES, Davis CD, Sanberg PR. Human umbilical cord blood stem cells infusion in spinal cord injury: engraftment and beneficial influence on behavior. J Hematother Stem Cell Res. 2003;12(3):271-8.

Studies supporting the beneficial effects of lithium on spinal cord injury
    1. Young W. Review of Lithium Effects on Brain and Blood. Cell Transplant. 2009.
    2. Dill J, Wang H, Zhou F, Li S. Inactivation of glycogen synthase kinase 3 promotes axonal growth and recovery in the CNS. J Neurosci. 2008;28(36):8914-28.
    3. Su H, Zhang W, Guo J, Guo A, Yuan Q, Wu W. Lithium enhances the neuronal differentiation of neural progenitor cells in vitro and after transplantation into the avulsed ventral horn of adult rats through the secretion of brain-derived neurotrophic factor. J Neurochem. 2009;108(6):1385-98.
    4. Su H, Chu TH, Wu W. Lithium enhances proliferation and neuronal differentiation of neural progenitor cells in vitro and after transplantation into the adult rat spinal cord. Exp Neurol. 2007;206(2):296-307.
    5. Yick LW, So KF, Cheung PT, Wu WT. Lithium chloride reinforces the regeneration-promoting effect of chondroitinase ABC on rubrospinal neurons after spinal cord injury. J Neurotrauma. 2004;21(7):932-43.

Thanks for all your help. It would be great if some bands were to adopt SCINetUSA. As you know, I would be glad to travel anywhere and talk to anybody about these trials.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 07-10-2010 at 12:32 AM.