Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally found the one I was looking for

Great news!
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

Thumbs up

Thank you everyone for the good wishes. I first was kind of nervous to meet this doctor. Well, most all appointments now get me pretty nervous. Guess I am getting pretty tired of the doctor visits and all the new tests they perform on me. One test I particularly am real anxious with is the MRI and CT Scan. Those big machines somehow make me feel like they are going to hurt me or make me disappear! (not) Just kidding about disappearing. I always have to let the technicians know that I am allergic to the dye because many times they don't know and don't bother to check either. I can't forget how it felt to find out about being allergic to it.

So far I have not taken a single dose of Vicodin since I started with the duragesic patch. Both Nick and I are proud of it and happy that so far there have been no withdrawal symtoms either. Feel really relieved that my liver will get a rest from the tylenol in it. My last blood test showed some ammonia in it but I was surprised that it wasn't as high as I expected it to be. I had been taking too much vicodin previously and thought that it raise it more, thank heaven it didn't. I will be taking Kristalose to lower it and also to help with the bowel problems I got with the vic. One thing I have noticed is that stress does make me get pain but am trying not to let it get too bad. Am using various methods to relax and get rid of it when it starts.

Something else that makes me feel good is that I am no longer having to take so many meds during the day. Yay!! The neurontin also seems to be helping too. Am only taking around 300mg 2 or 3 x a day. Also, the ability to sit up for a longer period of time makes me feel good since it shows that I am progressing for the better now. So all in all, I am seeing the skies clearing for me now, TG. Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes.

I am hoping and praying that they clear now not only for me but all those who have been dealing with the horrific pain we meet brought on by neuropathy and/or SCI.

Raven
    Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
    but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

pain doc

I am looking forward to you feeling well enough to write a new poem.

reALLY GREAT to hear you got some relief, finally,'i agree with others m i was really surprised they had you on vicodin with your liver problems.
    i changed from percocet to oxycodone, because i dint want the tylenol, and i have no liver problems .
    fentenatl is a strong pain killer, it works, i use the break through version, i wonder if i would do bester on the fenatyl patch, compared to the methadone.
    i am still having hot face and flushing. i re,mer the sweating started with the methadone.
    may you enjoy some good pain relief , raven, it has been too long for you .
    cauda equina

awesome sweetie!!
    L1,2 Para since 9-12-99
    ~*~*~Priscilla~*~*~
    Mommy to William (2004) Lucas (2008) Nathan (2011)
    The Wheelchair Mommy Blog

Raven, I may be late to the party, but that doesn't mean I'm not cheering just as loud as those who made it on time. Well done! You and Nick have needed a competent ally in that department for a long, long time. This is truly wonderful news.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Great news Raven..nothing like a man with the right meds & bedside manner

Raven, this new doctor sounds like a real mensch!
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Thanks for the support and good wishes. All the words of support that you all have given me thus far have me feel that I am not alone during this time of pain. Thank you.

Metroguy, I think it would really be great if you also could find a medication which would alleviate your pain. It is so hard to have the horrific pain keeping you awake or from living your life free of it. It is sad that it also brings strigma since many people who don't suffer from it look down on us for having to use these medications. I guess the only thing we can do it to just go on trying to find a true "mensch" as Paul has mentioned before. Also, as Van Quad says, and I quote his words " Too bad we can't clone the good ones". Good thing that people with good qualities and honorable still exist. They, like this new pain doctor I have found make the world more bright and full of hope. I pray we can find more of them.

I also had been looking for a neurologist or neurosurgeon and here in the city I live, they are pretty hard to find. The ones that we have take a long time to get an appointment with. It took me about two months to get the ones I got today. Sadly, I couldn't go to both of their appointments. I did however get to go early in the morning to a doctor which seems to be good also. They had ordered a new MRI done on the last week of October. They thought that the CTScan I had done did not suffice for what they needed to see of my spine. I am trying to prepare my mind for it since I dread the MRI's and am hoping that they will do it with the open machine. I ask for your prayers and good wishes with it.

As for the medications I am on; haven't taken Vicodin again as yet. Only the gabapentin, tramadol and the dermagesic patch. Have had only two days with some pain and sitting up more with less pain. At times the sleepiness does seem to knock me out but feel better when it doesn't have any nightmares to wake me. Am wondering if anyone has had the same complaint of bad dreams. Anyway, I think this will also take time for me to get adjusted to it somehow. Still happy to be more pain free.

Raven
    Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
    but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Awesome news! Congrats on getting a new doc!