Thread: Are these beginning signs of paralysis?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Are these beginning signs of paralysis?

I'm wondering if I'm at the beginning stages of paralysis? I have Spina Bifida but have been able to walk since birth. However, in the last three months stiffness in the legs has increased, pins and needles in my feet and legs, no strength in my lower back, no strength in my legs when I walk for long periods of time, it feels as if the muscles in my lower back and legs are shutting down. Kind of like my brain is saying walk but the muscles are saying "We can't" we don't know how anymore???

Anyone ever been or seen someone able to walk and then lose their ability to walk? Specifically from something non-tramatic or accident related?

Thanks!

I'm sorry you're having these problems - I'm there now, but from injury, arthritis & DJD. My PT is trying to get me walking, with leg braces, but says it looks like I'm heading into paralysis. The VA might say something different, but...
    You might talk to your doc & see what he/she says - looking into leg braces to keep going might not hurt, either, in my opinion. Good luck & try to keep moving!

I walked for more than 30 years with a SCI and slowly lost the ability to walk and are now a full time wheel chair user.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    I walked for more than 30 years with a SCI and slowly lost the ability to walk and are now a full time wheel chair user.
    Thanks for the response.

What kind of symptoms did you display before you lost all ability?

Trout, you describe what many who have had both slow moving TM or Guillame Barre Syndrome do before winding up in the ER unable to walk. Have you seen your neurologist recently and is detethering (again?) an option? You can search the forums for 'detethering' 'shunt' and 'Dr Green' for more information.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Trout, you describe what many who have had both slow moving TM or Guillame Barre Syndrome do before winding up in the ER unable to walk. Have you seen your neurologist recently and is detethering (again?) an option? You can search the forums for 'detethering' 'shunt' and 'Dr Green' for more information.
    Actually, going to tomorrow to see one of the best in SLC. Hope he has some answers. Today I felt strong so I went on a walk with the dogs, however, on the return I was worn out and wish I would have brought my cane. My legs were weak, lower back shot, and when I got home my feet were tingling (still are) and now my hands and arms are tingling.

I've been to two neurosurgeons and they both said that untethering won't do much because of the chance of the cord retethering because of the scar tissue.

I really don't know what to do. I feel as if I'm slowly losing my ability to walk.