Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Oxycodone Withdrawal

Oxycodone Withdrawal

Anyone know some good tips on easing the withdrawal from Oxycodone after being on it for 2 1/2 years? I developed a high tolarence for 6 15 MG Tablets a day and took extra because it wasn't working and my pain clinic will not help me out at all. I am screwed, the pain is enough to make me literally pass out and the withdrawal is almost as bad. I was on the Fentanyl patch and Oxycodone before and the patch worked great but it made me nauseaous and I ask the Dr. myself to help me wean off it and I did without any problems. He then upped my Oxycodone and he even asked if I wanted 7 a day instead of 6 and I even said no that I wanted to make 6 work. Now they are treating me like an addict of course and are not flexible with me at all and I even told them I am going to end up in the ER and they could care less. I mean, they should know more than anyone you can't just stop taking this stuff suddenly and if they thought I had an addiction problem don't you think they would have suggestes a detox program or something if that was the case? God damn my SCI. I will only be pain free when I cease to exist.
    Ken

Guns don't kill people. Daddys with cute daughters do!

Found this... I hope it helps.

Livin' the NA WAY

I have been there as well. TOO many times to count. Just a word of caution from an opiate & benzo recovering addict.
    DO NOT, DO NOT get addicted or abuse the benzo's. A. They can kill you in withdrawal. B. You will wish you would have died first if you do go through withdrawal.
    I have withdrawn off of 480-720mgs. oxycodone and it is HELL for 7-10. I have withdrawn off of 6mg alprazolam(Zanax) and you wish you have been dropped off in hell.
    My last run almost ago year now I was in ICU for a week, (480-720mgs opiates + 12-16mg Zanax) and I was still in PAWS(Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) for 4 months.
    There are things to help with the RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) from opiate abuse. Such as B6 (aid in absorbtion) Zinc/Magnesium (Muscle spasms), multivitamin, banana's for the potassium. And my all time favorite - slimfast if you can't eat.
    I would also suggest getting to an NA meeting or call your local NA group so you can get in contact with someone so they can help you through this as well.
    It is a LOT easier when you have help.
    It is the only thing that saved my life and has kept me in recovery this long.
    NA = Never Again Never Alone
    If you have any other questions or need help, please ask.

Chad H.
    Being Clean is Being Free
    (All comments are not those of Narcotics Anonymous - just what has worked, in my recovery)

Check your pm's. I feel your pain!

Thanks but my problem isn't abuse. I know they say you can be addicted and not know it and i'm sure i'm physically addicted but I do not get any euphoria or high from it and I do have legitimate pain issues. Also, I actually weaned myself off of the Fentynal patches which i'm sure is a drug addicts dream so wouldn't that show them i'm not an addict? I can hit the withdrawal head on but I am very afraid of my pain coming back. I have gone to the ER for the pain before even when I still had plenty of Oxycodone and was wearing the patch. I tell my friends I would not recommend getting a SCI.
    Ken

Guns don't kill people. Daddys with cute daughters do!

[partial QUOTE=BigK;1106431]Anyone know some good tips on easing the withdrawal from Oxycodone after being on it for 2 1/2 years? I developed a high tolarence for 6 15 MG Tablets a day and took extra because it wasn't working and my pain clinic will not help me out at all.

I'm sorry I thought you wanted to detox. Was just worried that you would think about illegal drugs if you can't get additional narcotics from your pain clinic. One of the results of opiate addiction is built up tolerance. Take Care.

I take Oxycodone for my feet and never realized that i was addicted until i forgot to call in for my refill and was out of them for 3-4 days. Man that feeling sucked, i had a really hard time sleeping, felt itchy, and quite irritated. I only take 35-50mg a day, can't imagine withdrawals on the amount you took.

I feel for you, wish i had advice.

I am so sorry that you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms, I've been there and it is horrific. I have gone through it maybe 5 times, once from 120 mg of oxycodone per day ( you were at 90 to 100 - the same). Some advice - Clonidine can be prescribed which can help ease the withdrawal symptoms. I have never used it so I don't have any personal experience with it. Other advice - make sure your friends and family know what you are going through so it explains your agitation. Last time I withdrew I promised myself that the next time I would rent a motel room for a weekend to go through it so I wouldn't drive my family crazy and worry them.
    Here is a question - you were taking narcs for pain. Now you are coming off them. What are you going to do about the pain? You have a problem that may not go away when you stop the treatment of narcs. Some people do have lessening of pain which may be a paradoxical effect of narcs. Less pain off narcs. I hope that is your case.
    Be encouraged that it withdrawal is not life threatening and you can get through it and after 36 hours , it begins to get better. But not totally. I would feel 'chemical urge and yearning' weeks afterwards.
    Lots of people here have been where you are and totally feel for you as do I. It is just horrific to go through. Hang in there !

Forgive me if I have misread anything. But it sounds as if he is not choosing to stop the opiates, but rather that the pain clinic cut him off abruptly. And are perhaps not helping him with his withdrawal. One wonders why they didn't use buprinorphine, or at least some medications to ease withdrawal.

An interesting ethical question that has been posed - if a pain patient is taking more medication than prescribed, should he be given less/none? Or should he be given more? Reasoning being, if he's taking more, perhaps he must need more to control his pain.

I believe studies on opiates and pain have shown that people actually in pain rarely become addicted.

Anyone who takes enough opiates long enough will become physically dependant. That is NOT the same as addiction. You can be physically dependant upon many drugs besides opiates - addiction is a mental illness.

I see what one doctor I know meant when he referred to "The plight of chronic pain patients"

Very well stated TAM63.
    The distinction of physical dependance that will happen to anyone taking narcs long enough versus psychological addiction - taking narcs for reasons other than pain -
    this distinction has to be repeated over and over. Not just to lay people - even some Physicians need reminding. The taboo of narcotics is still great despite the recognition of chronic pain being a major problem,

I have had such a love/hate relationship with narcs with my own personal battle. I don't want to develop physical dependence on anything that can be taken away like what has happened to BIGK. It is frightening. Yet at the same time, the meds help.
    I think that I still have the stigma ingrained in me and feel apologetic for having to take them. People ask 'are you STILL having to take narcs?', and I want to apologize for the fact that I do.
    But as one takes narcs for pain, I think one should concurrently be looking for alternatives whether it be lyrica type drugs, surgery, biofeedback, anything and everything to try to use as little narc as one can - to avoid getting so physically dependent that if one can't get the med , you will be in deep trouble with withdrawal.
    Like you said - this is the plight of chronic pain patients.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Very well stated TAM63.
    The distinction of physical dependance that will happen to anyone taking narcs long enough versus psychological addiction - taking narcs for reasons other than pain -
    this distinction has to be repeated over and over. Not just to lay people - even some Physicians need reminding. The taboo of narcotics is still great despite the recognition of chronic pain being a major problem,

I have had such a love/hate relationship with narcs with my own personal battle. I don't want to develop physical dependence on anything that can be taken away like what has happened to BIGK. It is frightening. Yet at the same time, the meds help.
    I think that I still have the stigma ingrained in me and feel apologetic for having to take them. People ask 'are you STILL having to take narcs?', and I want to apologize for the fact that I do.
    But as one takes narcs for pain, I think one should concurrently be looking for alternatives whether it be lyrica type drugs, surgery, biofeedback, anything and everything to try to use as little narc as one can - to avoid getting so physically dependent that if one can't get the med , you will be in deep trouble with withdrawal.
    Like you said - this is the plight of chronic pain patients.
    Thank you Arndog.

It is such an important distinction. Physical dependance - sure you become physically dependant. But a diabetic could be said to be physically dependant upon insulin. People can be said to be physically dependant upon neurontin or lyrica - if they are suddenly withdrawn, siezures can result. If someone is in pain, physical dependance should be irrelevant. I understand why it IS relevant, but that is a shame.

It is a shame that while the drugs themselves at times seem to be helpful to you, you have to be afraid - not of the drugs, but of the physicians that may withdraw them. That is what I view as a terrible shame.

As far as looking for alternatives - sure, all alternatives should be explored. And often treatments in combination are more effective than one treatment alone. But the fact that people must be afraid of one particular treatment (opiates), not because of the medications and their side effects themselves, but of stigma, criticism and of their physicians - again, I view that as such a shame.

A plight indeed.