Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ms attack opinions please

Ms attack opinions please

I am having a relapse (in 14 years I've had one MS attack this bad and that was my first one). I suppose I've been in a wheelchair for 5 years because I broke my hip and arm on the same side and lost so much strength and ability had foot drop then lost my hip flexors. With this I could no longer roll over in bed or walk at all. Then in the past months my legs got heavier and felt like the were full of sand. The past weeks my feet felt even heavier/fuller then my ankles, calves and on up to my waist. The past week my legs started going dead the same way in the last two days my skin is dead to the touch up to my waist in the back and up to my belly in the front.
    The only thing that has changed is I had to double my Gabapentin to 600mg 3x day and go up 5mg baclofen 3x day. That dosage made me drive my power chair into walls so I cut it down by 300mg of gabapentin and 10mg baclofen a day. Anyway, anyone experienced this?
    Today it progressed quickly the only thing added was a seasonal flu shot.

I do have a really tender spot along my spine just above the waist when this first started my D.O. sent me for a cauda equina MRI which turned out o.k. Thoughts
    "What has happened, has happened; What I am going through, I shall rise above; And what will come, I will meet with courage"~Hazrat Inayat Kahn

I have M.S. and was advised not to get flu shot because of our low immune system.
    Mine was a bay for over 10 years as if I didn't even have it. Now my cognitive functions and legs are getting worse. I find myself using a wheel chair at social events or shopping. Around the house, I can gimp around and use things for balance and hold me up. Back and hip pain increasing. Tingling and hurting like frostbite in feet and legs.

I have a tender spot in right hip. Doc. says it is not my bad back but the M.S. doing this. I also had a MRI. I don't do any meds for M.S. I did for a while but they made me worse. So I just suplement Creatine (M.S. people have low creatine levels) and eat a low sat fat, high protien diet.
    Last edited by Rich Knapp; 10-08-2009 at 06:30 PM.

Did/have either of you contacted a neurologist for a course of steriod treatments? Even if not on the RABC drugs this is often used to stop an attack from progressing further. Just MHO, and I don't have MS, but I'd head as fast as possible to your PCP and ask if steroids might help.

As far as I know if you are not having an attack the seasonal flu shot is normally advised. But again, this call should be between you and your doctors.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I have no Ins. Can't afford to go to Doc. I am not a fan of steroids personally. Even when I went to doc it was never an option for me.
    I have been to a High ranking Neurologist he is one that told me to never ever get the flu shot. lol He told me to schedule a hospital room first if I plan on getting one. He did a spinal tap to test fluid for M.S. (only 100% sure test on if you have it) I used to be on Bata Seron.
    I think a lot is I live in WI again. (weather)
    I was fine for years then moved the AZ did even better. Moved back to be with family and been down hill ever since. I do see changes with the dampness and humidity. Kind of like with broke bone. lol

Rich, are you in a county that still has a public county hospital after Thompson closed 2 out of 3? If so, I'd call and see if their rehab ward will treat you. I know the Rock County one took many under or uninsured patients until they closed all but a paid detox unit.

Wisconsin got hit by a different version of the swine flu in 1976 and had the live vaccine out for those most likely to be exposed very quickly. If you decide against flu shots; I'd stay away from anyone you know that gets the FluMist version for a few days and that's mainly kids. That's a weakened strain. I got the 1976 shot and stayed at a friend's for 3 days. I got it so my brother who had cancer then would have less a chance of getting it. Those who get the regular shot shouldn't be a problem. And you can get free shots at most court houses or wherever your county's Department of Health's well baby clinic is at. Might get some good information there too. Wisconsinites don't pay taxes that high for nothing. LOL
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

My doc told me I can't get any type of flu shots.
    But anyways the area I live in there aren't any free stuff. Unless you have kids living with you (I'm grandpa) and are poverty level.
    Medicare don't kick in for 20 more months.
    Some employers are offering it. But I guess you have to work for them. lol J/K
    Lots of kids get it free but for adults hit and miss.

But back to Snuz Q?

Yes, I have seen my neurologists PA and thats why my meds were changed. I no longer use steroids due to bad reactions to it the last two times my neurologist said "your MS isn't active but you have inflammation and pain from bulging/herniated discs and degenerative problems." So....the IV not only didn't work but they made me really sick. And as far as MS meds...I took Beta Seron for 5 yrs and Avonex for 2 yrs. and I started getting more and more severe "flu like" symptoms to the point that I had only one day of feeling good and that was the day before my next shot so for quality of life I quit using it.
    "What has happened, has happened; What I am going through, I shall rise above; And what will come, I will meet with courage"~Hazrat Inayat Kahn

I have the bone degeneration and 2 bulging disks in lower back also.
    The one is pushing on Sciatic nerve. Your also?
    Did the Beta Seron shot every other day for about a year, but it didn't do anything but make me worse and sore at injection sight.
    Went to low sat fat high protein diet, supplement Creatine and lifting weights and I did 100 X better. As you can see in my avatar. That is me in 2002, after I found out I had M.S. , 4 years and off shot for 3.
    They (Gov. Workmen's Comp doc's). are telling me opposite all my simtems are from M.S. not the back injury at work. My cognitive function memory is getting real bad.
    It would cost to much to fight work, with having M.S., Been down this road before and lost, to many grey area's with M.S.and injory simptams in court room.
    I qualified for S.S.D. so I will just do what I can around here (home town and web) to help out others.
    Last edited by Rich Knapp; 10-08-2009 at 08:46 PM.

I am really surprised how bad people with MS is threated in the US, here they get a lot of help and use what we call stop medication if they have an attack. But then again the people with SCI is threted much better in the US than here so it seems we should change country.

So many spesialist on MS here and only a few for SCI, and still we are about the same number of persons, 5000 each.
    TH 12, 43 years post

My skin feels dead!! Medical people please give input.

This is getting weird...much worse at night! My neck pain keeps me awake...my back muscles are rock hard, bad disc areas and degenerative areas hurt alot more, scoliosis changing with the spasticity not spasms just spasticity/rigidity and now and for the past few days my skin feels dead to the touch from the chest down about where the atrophy is from injury! I called the neuro office again as this progresses and they are to call me back...my pharmacist says it could be my 600mg 3x day Gabapentin my neuro had doubled it 3 weeks ago with my 15mg 3x day. These are minimal to moderate doses actually. Help. I had an MRI of my C-spine last week because my neuro thought maybe my MS had decided to relapse but no not at all! The pain at C2-C3 is a herniated disc and at T1 the disc degeneration has worsened. I had a donor bone put in at C5-6 I think in 2004 and thought the chiro had dislodged that because there is bone on bone pain, crunching and smooshing noises upon movement and from there to T2-3 I could feel bone movement when I would bend my head left or right. Sorry to ramble but I layed down this afternoon for rest and the dead skin and rigidity then had moved up to my chest from my waist. It is really starting to bother me! Ideas, experiences?