Thread: Need accessories to control exterior devices

Need accessories to control exterior devices

Looking for an interface or two. Would like to hook up a phone system and environmental (lights, thermostat, etc) controller to a new PC. Does anyone use this on their systems or know where I should look?Anyone fresh from rehab?

I think RadioShack used to sell a system for controling lights and electrical outlets. I don't know if they still do, but it's worth a shot.

I did see a banner add once for a similar system.

_____
    Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

HAL 2000.

PN

do a search under "Home Automation"

You'll need some X10 devices. I posted a link to a free home automation software kit in an earlier thread... lemme see, here's the thread and the software is here.

-Steven

Thanks everybody, I know about the x10 devices, and after I do little more research, I will let you know what I develop.

Hi Cris,
    I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional with custom voice commands that sends the right signal to a Gewa PROG programmable infrared device. The PROG then transmits the required signal to turn on the TV or turn on a power point or lights (via X10 for the latter two). I also have a special phone that has an infrared interface with the PROG so I can voice dial my phone. It works pretty well and my dad and I pretty much worked out how to do it ourselves. The setup is probably worth about $1500 Australian and was a lot cheaper than other voice activated solutions that I was aware of when I went through rehab. Maybe something similar to what I have could be suitable for you.

Tank

What type of mic do you use and would it work with a respirator?

Cris:

I don't know where Lewis has been the past four weeks, and I did email him, but so far he has not responded. Lewis uses and recommends the ANC 600 headset with the noise cancellation feature. It costs $59 and that includes shipping. I just purchased this headset from Lunis, and you can find him in this forum, or on his website www.knowbrainer.com.
    I was at the Long Beach Abilities Expo last month and a representative from Dragon was using a headset with the noise cancellation feature, and he was able to talk and dictate in a noisy convention center. It was very impressive, and I believe the headset sold for around $150.

Good luck.

PN

Originally posted by Cris:

Tank

What type of mic do you use and would it work with a respirator?
    I use a directional desktop microphone which works okay for me, but it is definitely not as accurate as a noise cancelling headset microphone. I also can't use it when there is other noise in the room which is a pain sometimes. However I got pretty sick of wearing a headset and enjoy the freedom of not having to wear one.
    I use to have a Emkay wireless headset which worked quite well for me in terms of voice recognition, however a friend of mine who is ventilated tried to use Dragon with a headset with not much success because he couldn't speak in long enough phrases... hopefully you could have more success.