Thread: Reusing Speedi-caths.

Reusing Speedi-caths.

I recently started using Speedi-caths because the cheap, soft caths (med-RX) I was using wouldn't pass through the sphicter unless my bladder was over-ful, putting too much pressure on my bladder. They're great, I love them... I'm allocated four a day by my insurance which isn't enough, so I've been reusing them. I know it's not recommended but come on. If any caths can be reused, Speedi-caths seem to be ideal. The lube is already in the package and with all of the packaging it would be wasteful to use them just once.

So I stick the package on the table, pull the cath out, do my thing, rinse it with water and then just slip it back into its package. Is this too unsanitary if I use one cath per day? Any hints or tips to make this technique more sanitary?

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/search....archid=7776626
    Go to search and look up cleaning caths and you will find all the answers
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

I've done this when I've been running low, pretty sure I've never suffered.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    I recently started using Speedi-caths because the cheap, soft caths (med-RX) I was using wouldn't pass through the sphicter unless my bladder was over-ful, putting too much pressure on my bladder. They're great, I love them... I'm allocated four a day by my insurance which isn't enough, so I've been reusing them. I know it's not recommended but come on. If any caths can be reused, Speedi-caths seem to be ideal. The lube is already in the package and with all of the packaging it would be wasteful to use them just once.

So I stick the package on the table, pull the cath out, do my thing, rinse it with water and then just slip it back into its package. Is this too unsanitary if I use one cath per day? Any hints or tips to make this technique more sanitary?
    Just curious, is the allocation of 4 caths/day a Canadian health care ruling?

The lube for the SpeediCath is not in the packaging, it's coated onto the catheter itself. The fluid inside the packaging "activates" the hydrophilic coating, which is pretty robust on this particular catheter. Robust enough, I think, that if you were to wash it with some ordinary anti-bacterial hand soap after use and let it dry on a paper towel, you should be able to re-wet it and use it again.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post

I pull the cath out and put in a zip lock bag, use it every morning during shower with soap and water, usually change the cath and zip lock bag every month or two
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Just curious, is the allocation of 4 caths/day a Canadian health care ruling?

The lube for the SpeediCath is not in the packaging, it's coated onto the catheter itself. The fluid inside the packaging "activates" the hydrophilic coating, which is pretty robust on this particular catheter. Robust enough, I think, that if you were to wash it with some ordinary anti-bacterial hand soap after use and let it dry on a paper towel, you should be able to re-wet it and use it again.
    My insurer is my provincial auto insurance, which is run by the provincial government. They're a bit gunshy in terms of cost. When I was being re-evaluated after my last urodynamics, the nurse justified the Speedicaths because of my tight sphincter but said I should just ask for 4 per day and insurance would be more accepting.

Before they were authorized by ins, I'd swipe some from the association I volunteer for and use them sparingly because they were so much easier then my other caths. I even used one for a whole week (not recommended!). Thanks for the info on the fluid inside stephen. I`ll start washing them with soap before putting them back in.

i've been reusing mine too and have had no problems. i use a new one everyday and just rinse with tap water between uses. i usually reuse it 5-6 times per day. i also use an antibacterial wet wipe to insert it. it makes it easier to insert cuz the darn things are so slipery.

Quote Originally Posted by micah_d View Post
    i've been reusing mine too and have had no problems. i use a new one everyday and just rinse with tap water between uses. i usually reuse it 5-6 times per day. i also use an antibacterial wet wipe to insert it. it makes it easier to insert cuz the darn things are so slipery.
    I find they're less slippery at the top so I push from there, which I can do because they're so stiff.

I don't know about the Speedi-caths, but I've had to re-use the Mentor Hydro caths before, and did re-use a single cath for a day or few, even re-using up to a week or so (NOT recc), or as long as it didn't get too dried out. I don't recall problems, except when continuing to use after the hydro coating was stripped (trauma causing inflammation and stoma infection).

Wet hydro caths will likely be more susceptible to dirt and bacteria. I think you should wash the coated caths lightly with soap, but not put soap directly on the caths, as that'll require rinsing longer, which will also rinse off the coating (or else leave residual soap which may be irritating). Make sure to allow to dry as completely as possible between use. Hydro caths are made for a specific function, so don't re-use if it feels tacky or resistant, or if you notice any signs of trauma or infection.

I use seven per week. Unless I'm out and about, then I toss them.

What I do is, I use, then put the cath in a clean plastic dishpan thingy that's filled with clean water and Sunlight dishsoap. I just let them soak in the soapy water until I've used them all. Then I rince them all off at the same time.

When I wiz in the shower I just rinse them off with water and that's good enough.

I've been doing it this way for a few years now. I haven't had a uti in all that time.