Thread: New Shoe for ambulating

New Shoe for ambulating

Just an FYI Post for walking quads and paras: I recently purchased a pair of Skechers Shape Ups for exercising on the treadmill, but finding them so beneficial, I now wear them in my "normal" ambulation. I find they are great for helping with the proper gait pattern of heel strick to rolling on the toes for push off. Just after two weeks of wear, I'm having better range of motion in my stiff R ankle, that strecthing has been unable to resolve. They are a bit pricey at $110.00 a pair, but have been told that K-Mart sells a knock off that might be worth a try.

I was looking for a new pair of shoes, these look very interesting and I'll be coming past the Sketchers outlet tomarrow. I'll have to give them a try as it is very hard to fit my feet, always has been, they might work. I haven't used Sketchers since I was in NYC and used to buy them all the time, pre SCI I would walk all over Manhattan, they all ways were great to walk in.
    Might solve my problem, as I am a walker, not great, but looking for something to give me a push. I need more ROM in my ankles, real test will be on the boat befor I put on my rain gear, too bad they don't make deck boots.

I am a walking para using one cane or 2 crutches. One AFO. I use running shoes that are super soft/cushioning. I like the fact that running shoes have built in rockers. I really can't walk well with a traditional shoe since the AFO is so stiff. I never saw 'shape ups' till now since I hate shopping, but I think I will have to go give it a try too. Always looking for a better way.....
    Thanks for posting and bringing it to my attention.

I checked into this shoe through Google. Sounds interesting as I have trouble with my left ankle - I walk with a cane - my left leg is the weak one - the right is functional but "numb".
    I'd love to be able to walk more.
    I'm concerned with balance. Could that be a problem with these?
    Whenever I stumble, it's usually the left foot dragging that trips me up.

Thanks

I would be very concerned about balance on these. What if you lean back. My son would be on his butt in a second. I would think they would be hard to really utilize with AFOs too. I'm all for anything that fosters movement or recovery, but it seems to me like the risk of falling is too great.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Quote Originally Posted by garvey View Post
    I checked into this shoe through Google. Sounds interesting as I have trouble with my left ankle - I walk with a cane - my left leg is the weak one - the right is functional but "numb".
    I'd love to be able to walk more.
    I'm concerned with balance. Could that be a problem with these?
    Whenever I stumble, it's usually the left foot dragging that trips me up.

Thanks
    I too have some R foot drop when fatiged. I don't find these shoes make it any worse. In fact my PM doc feels possibly over time they may help strengthen the muscle that is responsible for the foot drop. Keep mind though, I have fairly good nerve response, just need to strengthen the muscle after the non-use of that muscle. Pro's amd con's..they are not for everyone, but if they help, then wonderful. We have to help one another all we can!!

Thanks Patty - I'll have to make a trip to the local Bob's - I know they sell a range of Skechers.