Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neurotin quit working. What kind of meds do you use for neuro pain? Please help.

Neurotin quit working. What kind of meds do you use for neuro pain? Please help.

The pain is in my legs and started going to the to the top of my butt.The pins & needles are killing me. Sometimes, my feet feel painfully numb. I've been on neurotin for 10 years. I've tried Lyrica and stopped because I gained weight. I have even tried two 10mgs of loratabs and the pain still break through. I don't want that habit and I really don't like the way they make me feel.
    I know this subject comes up all the time but I would like to ask, what kind of neuropathic meds do you all take? I've got to find something because it's hard to get out of bed and I don't make good company. What kind of life is that? You know you have to try this then that before you find one that works. Can anyone give me any idea's what yall use. Please.
    Mary
    I want to Rock you Gypsy soul and together we will flow into the Mystic.
    Van Morrison

i started on topomax slowly at 50 mg for 2 weeks then 100 twice daily 2 weeks now 200 twice daily has taken it from a 9 to a 6 tried most of the others and nothing else even touches it everyone is different tho its the old trial and error thing i guss good luck

Mary, just a few questions.
    -Did you change anything, like to a different generic version, or start taking another med along with it?
    -How much Neurontin are you taking?
    -What are you taking besides Neurontin? Have you tried taking it along with a tricyclic antidepressant?

i have the burning/needles in my legs, feet,butt....sometimes arm...at times its pretty bad....but always there...its like a combo of having your bodypart fall asleep along with sunburn.... call me crazy, i take NOTHING!....never did...i just deal with it...rather have the pain than the long term affects of meds........

I am on Lyrica, I had horrible side effects from neurontin. Lyrica for me has been a godsend.
    [IMG]file:///Users/Mememe/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Amitryptilline 25 mg at night and Lyrica 75 mg twice a day. My experience is like Trinity - Lyrica is a god send for me. I don't gain weight but I exercise like crazy and count calories and not eat bad fatty foods. I just can't see how the drug could make you gain weight if you were to exercise and count calories, but I am not certain. I have been up to Lyrica 150 mg 3 times a day and tolerated the side effects.
    Let's hope that Pfizer continues to make this wonderful drug.

David, I have to get Gabapin instead of Neurotin. For several years I was weaning off Neurotin and I have got down to 400mg 4 times a day but I went back up to 800mgs and it didn't change anything. I think I have got use to it.
    I haven't tried a tricylic drug with it. I have tried Flexeral.
    I am at my wit's end because the pins and needles are everyday. I don't have a sci Dr that why I was asking for suggestions. Oh, I take Baclofen, Effexor, Loratab as needed and Valium at night to calm down the nerves and it was working but nothing helps now. I don't want to get on those Loritabs to often and the pain breaks through them anyway.
    Mary
    Van Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by maryonwheels46 View Post
    David, I have to get Gabapin instead of Neurotin. For several years I was weaning off Neurotin and I have got down to 400mg 4 times a day but I went back up to 800mgs and it didn't change anything. I think I have got use to it.
    I haven't tried a tricylic drug with it. I have tried Flexeral.
    It might be worth considering taking an antidepressant such as a little Elavil with the Neurontin, that's a common combination for neuro pain. It doesn't hurt that the Elavil is cheap.

FWIW, I do know of a number of people who take higher doses of Neurontin (sometimes significantly so) when used for neuro pain, but that's a very individual thing and should only be tried with the full involvement of your doctor. Neurontin is a very serious drug and that sort of thing needs to be done with care.

Pamelor (nortiptyline) reportedly has fewer side effects than elavil, and is also a tricyclic antidepressant.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I'm already taking Effexor so I wonder what a tricylic med would if I mixed it?
    Mary
    Van Morrison