Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: sjean I got the computer with viruses hooked up

sjean I got the computer with viruses hooked up

Stephanie I came straight here to see what I should do---tomorrow that is. I'm headed to bed. So far no problems. It beats my old one to pieces.
    It has 512 mb and the hard drive is 80 gb, a 330 intel processor. It's an e machine. Not sure what all you need to know. Windows XP what I had before.

Thanks Mona

Mona, what is on it for antivirus programs? Anything~!? If it is running ok, it may not have any problem, just outdated, but still good for you.

When I was cleaning up my old laptop that my daughter had been using, to give to my sister, I ran

Avg free (scroll down, and be sure to download the free version)

http://free.avg.com/download-avg-ant...fr_bn_free_670

A spyware program: spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html or ad-aware http://www.lavasoft.com/ are good ones.

Then just to be sure I ran malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php I had used this once when I had a particularly bad problem.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by sjean423; 10-04-2009 at 11:16 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Hi Stephanie. Thanks for all the info. The only thing I could see was something called BIG FIX, and it said I didn't have priviledges to run it. That may be my biggest problem. Not knowing passwords someone else put in the pc. I'm signed as a guest.
    I'm going the install the links you gave me and run them. Thanks so much Mona.

Well I downloaded the AVG Free but can't find it. I looked in All Programs and it's not there. So I downloaded it again. Same thing, not there. Where is it going.
    I'll try downloading the adaware.

I can't download AD AWARE. It said I need adminstrative priviledges. Probably why I couldn't find AVG ANTI VIRUS.
    So how do I get adminstrative priviledges.

Yea, you can't do much signed in a a guest. No one has the admin passwords?

As far as getting administrator privileges. The computer was set up for school use, right? SO they didn;t want everyone able to make a lot of changed. Can the people who gave it to you get it? The below link will tell you how to log in as the administrator if you have the password.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/tips/knox1.mspx

If you don;t have the password, I don;t know how to easily get around it.
    Last edited by sjean423; 10-05-2009 at 06:32 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I googled and I found some info. I also found the name of the administrator, but not the password. It said alot of time they leave the password blank. It said to click ctrl, alt, delete all 3 together twice and the administrator sign in will come up and to leave the password blank and see if it would sign in. I have to wait for someone to try that. But I don't have a lot of hope for that. lol I'm gonna ask her tonight if she has any way of getting the password. But I'm thinking that's probably why she couldn't clean it up.
    My daughter said you could wipe everything out and reformate it. But I don't have the cd to put everything back in. I do have my cd of my old pc. Guess I could put that in. She's coming one day to mess with it.
    My bottom is killing me today. I hope it's just the rain.
    Stephanie thanks so much. Once I get the password your links will help me alot.

Since it was a school computer, I doubt the password is blank. That was a case where they didn;t want the students messing with it. But it is sure worth a try.

If you have your disks from your other computer, and your daughter reformats it, you don;t need to worry about my links .... reformatting will clean everything up for you ..... just like it was new. That might be the best bet, especially if she knows how to do it.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Stephanie when the aide got here last night I made me a new account as administrator. The other person's is still on there too. So I signed in as administrator this morning and it let me download ad aware. But I can't run it because it says FLTLIB.DLL is missing. Any clue what that is? But it did let me download it under the new administrator account. Then I downloaded Avg Anti Virus per your link, but it doesn't show up anywhere after I download it. I can't find it in all the programs or anywhere. How do I find it?

Thanks jryprt I had already made me an administrator account by the time I saw your post. Thanks for helping. Mona