Thread: New Problems Last 24 Hours

New Problems Last 24 Hours

My daughter inured in mid-August with C4 ability. The last two days two new symptoms have come up.....1) Changed from cathing every four hours to every six hours and the fourth day in the new cath program she was voiding almost all pee in her bladder after only four hours. No prior pee accidents and not chugging water, pop or water ever. 2) Yesterday and today all over body tingles when being moved. This has happened twice.

The doctors/nurses know what is going on but no firm answers at this point. Just wondering if the collective experience of all of you can chim in.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post
    My daughter inured in mid-August with C4 ability. The last two days two new symptoms have come up.....1) Changed from cathing every four hours to every six hours and the fourth day in the new cath program she was voiding almost all pee in her bladder after only four hours. No prior pee accidents and not chugging water, pop or water ever. 2) Yesterday and today all over body tingles when being moved. This has happened twice.

The doctors/nurses know what is going on but no firm answers at this point. Just wondering if the collective experience of all of you can chim in.

Thanks!
    Hi, is your daughter taking any bladder spasm meds, such as Ditropan or Detrol? Most SCI need a medication like this for their bladders, to control the spasms that cause leakage and back flow into the kidneys.

Also, you have to rule out a UTI. The tingles sound like slight autonomic dysreflexia, due to either a spasmodic bladder, or a UTI.

Best of luck to your daughter. You might also post this in the Care forum, so the Nurses can see it.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I agree with rdf. Where is she? Is she in a rehab center that specializes in SCI? It would help if you would complete your profile.

It sounds like she is now starting to come out of spinal shock, and her bladder is emptying by reflex. Medications should be used to keep her dry between caths, which should be every 4 hours for no more than 425 cc. This will also help to keep her bladder pressures in the safe range. At about 3-6 months post injury she should have urodynamics, and this should be repeated every 2-3 years from now on.

Can you be more specific about the "tingles"? This is a symptom some have with autonomic dysreflexia. This is a potentially dangerous condition. To confirm that is what is happening, the nurses need to take her blood pressure when she has these symptoms. If the systolic blood pressure is 30-40 mm. Hg. over her normal, it should be considered AD. Does she get flushing, nasal stuffiness, or a headache at the same time? Does she sweat on her face at the same time?

(KLD)

We are aware of AD and have not noticed any symptoms BUT we are just newbie parents in this thing and we might just think she is tired. We don't really know what her AD looks like and she doesn't know what it feels like either? She was not flushed, have a headache or sweat on her face. The doctors have said there is a good chance that she will be AD during her stay, and in a way I would like see what this condition is like when she has it. The medication to keep her dry between caths was brought up. I'm just so sick of adding to the med pile she already gets but I understand they are helpful.

I wasn't there when she had the other episode "tingles" yesterday when they did a chair transfer in PT. I was there today when they did a bed/chair transfer today, again for PT, that resulted in the same awful feeling she had yesterday. She said she felt strong tingles all over her body and that it was painful but in a "weird way." (She is twelve so descriptions are tough sometimes.) Her blood pressure was low all day and she rested in bed awhile after lunch before getting back in her chair. The rest of the day, she still had a lower blood pressure than usual but she went about having a pretty fun day.

rdf mentions AD because of the spastic bladder and I didn't know that could be a cause....been focusing on cath/BM program too much I guess. We are going back to every four hour caths or at least checking to see if she wet. Don't know when these wetting accidents happened....three hours after cath, five? blah

Hope she gets the rest she needs tonight and we'll keep watching her tomorrow on all these changes.

Thanks for responding. After reading so many different subjects at this site since the accident in August, it feels right to finally throw something out there for you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post

Thanks!
    Domosoyo,

What you describe are good signs. Did and does your daughter have feeling in her anal region and can she contract her anal sphincter? Is she able to feel when her bladder is full? Can she feel any touch or pinprick sensation? If any of these are happening, I think that she will have much more recovery to come.

Whether these things happen or not, the course of treatment should be the same. She must get attentive care that prevents urinary tract infections, pressure sores, thrombophlebitis, and bowel care. She needs to be progressively tilted so that she spends more time upright. She should learn how to operate a computer and wheelchair.

Getting prepared for home is the hardest part. There is so much to learn and so much that has to be done at home. Once she has recovered as much as she can, it is then time to think of more therapies, whether they are in the form of intensive training or regenerative therapies. We are working on the latter to be available in clinical trials by 2010.

Wise.

they start me out on every 6 hours but i got a lot of uti's so i change to every 4 hour hardly ever get uti's now. when i get ad i get goose bumps then i know i have to pee early. being that her hasn't been that long since her accident the tingles might be feeling coming back. maybe it's a good sign.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

Sorry to hear that you are going through this! We are 11 months out from when our 10 year old daughter was injured (T12). Hope you find the answers you are looking for. This is a great place with a lot of information.

Consider going taking her to Kennedy Krieger at some point. They are really good with kids and they have a great Ronald McDonald house.