Thread: How to use the Find function on this site

How to use the Find function on this site

Some people have written to me regarding how to find things on this site. For example, many people have done a search for "4-AP" and found that it does not give them the posts that contain information about 4-AP. This is because the "-" or dash is treated like a minus sign. A minus sign means "not". So, when you do a search for "4-AP", the site is thinking that you are searching for all words that have "4 not AP". That is why it is generating no or strange results.

If you do a search for "AP", it generates too many posts to show. That is because there are probably thousands of posts that have the word "AP" in it. By the way, a plus sign means "and". However, if you search for 4+AP, that also generates too many posts to list.

1. Search for "aminopyridine". If you do the search now, it will find 177 posts that contain "aminopyridine", enough reading for a while.

2. Search for "4+AP" with an additional word to narrow the search. For example, if you type in "4+AP+dose" you will find 249 posts that match. If you type "4+AP+side" which would find all posts that have "4", "AP", and "side" (for side-effects), you will get 246 matches. If you search for "4+AP+capsule", you will get 83 matches. Unfortunately, "4+AP" will also catch a lot of irrelevant posts because the "4" appears in the time and dates of the posts and AP appears in many words.

Please note, however, the search algorithm is inconsistent. For example, if you do a search for "4-aminopyridine" it should look for everything that has a 4 and reject everything that has aminopyridine. But, instead, it finds the same list of 177 postings as "aminopyridine" alone. So, what I say above (although it seems logical) doesn't always apply and I still have not yet figured out the logic.

Wise.

Wise , this is only regarding 4-AP , but because it seems to be a common subject people search for , i would suggest to them to try ''fampridine''.
    thank you
    dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .

Dogger, thanks. Fampridine will indeed pull out a number of the posts regarding 4-aminopyridine. I have posted a enquiry to infopop regarding their bug in the search function. I hope that they fix it soon. Wise.

Wise,

As you know, a minus sign can be used as a hyphen to connect two words together -- which is why the search behaves as it does. To properly search for everything with 4 and without aminopyridine, you would search for "4 -aminopyridine"; the space is very important.

I hope this helps.

-Steven