Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: freqent utis, now kidney stones

freqent utis, now kidney stones

I'm had freqent utis since January. Ive been on 5 antibiotics one right after another. Til its gone. I recently had cypro 600mg and still had symptoms and also my culture came back possitive. So they put me on bactrum 800mg. I could not wait til my urologist apt. I finally went. and they scanned my bladder and everything was good. They did an ultra scan and on my right and found kidney stones, but the guy kept saying but I'm not 100% sure to show up they need to be 3mm and yours are 4mm. but I'm just not 100%. ?? He said he needed to show the doctor, He said they weren't treatable? and I had some on my left side, but where much smaller. and he said they will just have to check these in some time to see if they get bigger.
    I'm just wondering if mine is bigger than 3mm and show up why aren't they sure if they are kidney stones and why aren't they treatable.
    I also have been talking to my therapist and notice when I have a uti because my spasms are a lot worse in my legs. We were wondering (we thought) that kidney stones would do the same?
    I go back the end of next month to do my urodemics.
    I have more to claim.
    I have to fight through the hard places
    to go and get it!

most recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLEinnhYtg

Talk to your Uro. Last summer I went thru the same thing, one uti after another. Got scan done and they found one kidney stone. They went in and zapped it and cleaned it out. I have only had one uti in a year since.

If your kidney stones are infected, you will never stop having uti's.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Small stones are actually easier to treat, often with increase hydration and a short term nephrostomy tube and irrigation of the kidney, sometimes with Litotripsy, rarely requiring open surgery. They definitately can cause repeated UTIs with the same bug and if they get big enough, can damage the kidney and plug the ureter.

If your urologist says don't treat, I would want at least one other urologic opinion to confirm this, ideally from a urologist who specializes in stone management. At our center, the universal approach is that stones need to come out.

(KLD)

that sounds a lot like me not uti but colonaztion they gave me antibotics genamic
    several types iv found 5 stones got them out last tues go back the 18,
    did it help i don/t know spams wake me up at 330am like an alarm clock then about every hr gosh i love this .......

I agree! And its crazy! I'm gettin really fed up with it, because I went to the urologist to get my bladder problems figured out and they haven't. Frustrating! Now I am cathing Huge amounts for me. I mean I norm cath for 300cc about 4xs a day not its like every hour I cath for 500-700ccs. and leaking a lil bit b/c I can't cath fast enough when I feel autonomic. grrr!
    I have more to claim.
    to go and get it!

most recent video:

And now Having symp. of another uti. grrr
    I have more to claim.
    to go and get it!

most recent video:

Quote Originally Posted by drew82586 View Post
    I'm had freqent utis since January. Ive been on 5 antibiotics one right after another. Til its gone. I recently had cypro 600mg and still had symptoms and also my culture came back possitive. So they put me on bactrum 800mg. I could not wait til my urologist apt. I finally went. and they scanned my bladder and everything was good. They did an ultra scan and on my right and found kidney stones, but the guy kept saying but I'm not 100% sure to show up they need to be 3mm and yours are 4mm. but I'm just not 100%. ?? He said he needed to show the doctor, He said they weren't treatable? and I had some on my left side, but where much smaller. and he said they will just have to check these in some time to see if they get bigger.
    I'm just wondering if mine is bigger than 3mm and show up why aren't they sure if they are kidney stones and why aren't they treatable.
    I also have been talking to my therapist and notice when I have a uti because my spasms are a lot worse in my legs. We were wondering (we thought) that kidney stones would do the same?
    I go back the end of next month to do my urodemics.
    Kidney and bladder stones tend to cause frequent urinary tract infections because the bacteria can hide in the stone during antibiotic treatment. When the antibiotics stop, the infection resumes with a vengeance. After repeated treatments, the bacteria become resistant to the antibiotic . So, the preferred treatment of repeated urinary tract infections associated with stone is to get rid of the stones.

Getting rid of the stones is not as easy as some people make it seem. The first and the best option is of course to drink a lot of water and hope that the stone will pass out with the flow. You should drink cranberry juice as well because it acidifies the urine and this not only helps dissolve the stone but increases the efficacy of antibiotics against bacteria. Self-passage of 3-5 mm stones occur in 85% of the cases, often within 72 hours after the beginning of severe pain symptoms.

Your doctor probably said to you that it should not be treated with extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL), ureteroscopy, or surgery, rather than it cannot be treated. If the stones are small, they should pass. The shock wave therapy is usually the next option. A machine is used to passes a sound wave through your body and this may shake or break the stone. If that does not work, the doctor can pass a scope into the ureters and try to pull the stone out. The final resort is surgery to cut open the kidney and extract the stone.

Wise.

Thank you Wise. You Answered a lot of questions of mine. Now, Since I do cath should I be able to see the stone? I wouldn't think It would be able to pass through the catheter? They said my stones read to be 4mm. And I had couple of them on my right side and small clusters of something starting on my left. If I drink cranberry juice I also have cranberry pills. Should I do/take both? And if so How much of the pills? Thanks agian!
    I have more to claim.
    to go and get it!

most recent video:

Quote Originally Posted by drew82586 View Post
    Thank you Wise. You Answered a lot of questions of mine. Now, Since I do cath should I be able to see the stone? I wouldn't think It would be able to pass through the catheter? They said my stones read to be 4mm. And I had couple of them on my right side and small clusters of something starting on my left. If I drink cranberry juice I also have cranberry pills. Should I do/take both? And if so How much of the pills? Thanks agian!

How many times a day do you cath?

Since I have been on D-Mannose (from the health food store) It is way better then cranberry pills, I have not gotten any more infections and by accident I have gone at least 4 times 12hrs with out cathing and have not gotten an infection and I can only chalk it up to the D-Mannose and I don't drink a lot of water either. I am now increasing my cathing from 4 time a day to 5 times a day. I found a great company for catherts that insisted that I increase the number of times a day that I cath.

Stevie P

I read a self-help home treatment that works pretty well on small stones. This is hard to get down and hard to keep down, but if you do it hourly, most stones will pass within a day in my experience. Def beats surgery and endless uro visits, PLUS chronic, recurrent UTI's! I recommended this to clc, and he said when he went to the uro to prep for surgery, the stone was gone. I don't have the impression it was a small one either.

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/kidney_stones.html

"...Cyndi from Durham, NC writes, "I have suffered intermittently from kidney stones for nearly 9 years. One was so bad I had to have surgery to remove it. Later, my grandmother was hospitalized with a kidney stone and told me about a home remedy given to her by a nurse and believe me, this really works! Mix 2 oz of olive oil and 2 oz of lemon juice, drink it straight down and follow with a large glass of water at the first sign of stone pain. The stone(s) will pass within 24 hours. I have eliminated at least 8 stones with this remedy and have not gone back to the urologist since I started taking this."..."

That link has a lot of home remedy options, actually. There is a small percentage of stones that don't dissolve in acid, and they will resist these treatments. Odds are good that the acid will work, though.

Watch your blood pressure if you're prone to AD, though. If it starts spiking, you need to get to the ER for pain meds. Print out AD info and the home remedy you are trying before you go to the ER. It sucks to have a stone on the move, and AD, and be trying to persuade skeptical ER docs that there is a reason you need these drugs for pain, while you're puking up your socks.

Kidney stones and gall bladder blockage are the only thing to have ever caused me to vomit from pain. No fun at all. Good luck!

PS-I learned on my own that the horrible pain is actually from the ureters spasming as the stone moves down. So a good muscle relaxer or anti-spasmodic, say Soma or baclofen, and a hot water bottle help more with the pain than about anything else, certainly more than you would expect. And sometimes we get referred pain from stones. My pain always starts at the hip and confuses me. Eventually the pain moves up to where the stone actually is. I have no idea why pain in my kidney manifests as extreme pain in my hip. I was in DC the first time I had one. Was convinced my hip just hurt as a result of a bone-jarring day of wheeling around Capitol Hill...except I was puking from the pain, which seemed kinda weird. Dr. Young actually diagnosed me via CC days later. When I finally got a CT scan, nearly 2 weeks later, that darned thing was STILL at the top of my bladder, causing "irritable bladder syndrome", making my bladder spazz, the feeling of needing to pee but couldn't go (I don't cath.) My uro said that the kidneys can actually steep in sterile urine for weeks before being damaged (although he prefers they not be!) My other fear was that my bladder would become plugged at the far end, i.e. the urethra. Apparently that orifice is much larger than the one entering the bladder, so that should not be a concern.

All sources recommend exercise. A bumpy W/chair ride can shake them loose. I've had good luck with an excellent masseuse, and keeping the area warm and relaxed is a good way to help them pass smoothly.

Hopefully the acid will dissolve or at least shrink the stones, so that they pass easily. A lot of places recommend magnesium but it gives me diarrhea so bad that I'm reluctant to suggest it to a fellow sci.

Again-good luck!

PPS-If you ever pee w.out cathing, be aware. The only time I pee the bed is when I pass a stone. I'll wake up a little sore but basically pain free, in a wet bed soaked w/ bloody pee. Many ER's refuse to believe you have a stone unless you have blood in your urine, but I have documented myself passing a 6 mm stone that never caused blood until it passed the urethra. They have all that in my chart, not that they'll ever go back and put it all together. Sigh...
    Last edited by betheny; 10-08-2009 at 12:45 AM.