Thread: legbag cleaner

Cool legbag cleaner

They use this cleaner called Century Q 256 to clean my legbag and night-bag daily. Is this an effective cleaner against all UTI germs? They won't use the bleach solution here.

All studies done in the last 20 years continue to support a 10% bleach solution as the best and least expensive for disinfecting urinary drainage bags.

Why won't they use bleach? You can get pre-mixed solution commercially, although we mix our own at my hospital. Have you talked to the director of nurses about their failure to follow an evidenced based practice in this area? The Urologic Nurses Association has endorsed the 10% bleach as the standard of care for urinary appliance cleaning.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    All studies done in the last 20 years continue to support a 10% bleach solution as the best and least expensive for disinfecting urinary drainage bags.

Why won't they use bleach? You can get pre-mixed solution commercially, although we mix our own at my hospital. Have you talked to the director of nurses about their failure to follow an evidenced based practice in this area? The Urologic Nurses Association has endorsed the 10% bleach as the standard of care for urinary appliance cleaning.

(KLD)
    They won't use the bleach solution because there is wall-to-wall carpeting in the bathroom and they don't want staff to spill the bleach solution on the carpeting and yes, I have spoke to high level staff.

I know that carpet in the bathroom and patient rooms is very "Planetree" but it is also very unsanitary. It is unfortunate that they are allowing the appearance of the facility to interfere with safe patient care. Have you spoken to the ombudsman about this?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I know that carpet in the bathroom and patient rooms is very "Planetree" but it is also very unsanitary. It is unfortunate that they are allowing the appearance of the facility to interfere with safe patient care. Have you spoken to the ombudsman about this?

(KLD)
    OOOPS, correction: I have linoleum floor in bathroom and they don't want the housekeeping staff to spill the bleach solution on the carpet accidentally. Man, this issue is just wrong.

Not sure why the housekeeping staff would be handling the bleach at all, except perhaps to deliver the jugs to your utility room. It needs to be fresh mixed each time. We keep the jugs in the dirty utililty room. Each nurse or tech goes there before cleaning the bag, and wearing goggles and gloves, mixes their solution in a patient-labled urine that is for bleach mixing only. They take it to the patient's bathroom where they empty and clean the bag, and the bag is then placed in a basin, wrapped in a towel, with the bleach urine and funnel/tubing, and this is place on a shelf at the patient's bedside for use when next needed.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi5 View Post
    They won't use the bleach solution because there is wall-to-wall carpeting in the bathroom and they don't want staff to spill the bleach solution on the carpeting and yes, I have spoke to high level staff.
    Wall to wall carpet in a bathroom? - Ewwwwwwww! And this is an instatution of some sort? - Double Ewwwwwwww!