Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: H1N1 Flu Shot

i not getting it! they are given it to everybody and the results of the trials are still coming in. i don't know how they can give something to someone when they haven't even got the full results back.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

They don't even know if there are long turm side effects.
    Maybe in a few years we will all look like this. lol

Canada used a different process that takes longer, thus it won't be available till November, but a process that has less side effects.

I don't need the shot now!

I wish I could get a tetanus shot. I had the childhood ones but the first adult dose caused a moderate allergic reaction. An idiot drill sergeant in the Army told me to get back in line after the doc told everyone in the vaccine line for the TTT to step left if allergic to any of the 3. Duh, it just meant instead of one combo I'd get 2 separate shots for typhus and typhoid. Talk about the thrills of a full blown allergic reaction. Now I travel with antibiotic ointments, sterile rinses and bandages for even small scrapes.

As for not getting the MMR, especially in children, this is terribly selfish as pregnant women exposed to Rubella (German measles) tend to have babies with serious birth defects. Most vaccines are very safe for the vast majority of people. Those who do not receive the basics such as the MMR should then quarentine themselves much as the Amish do by living apart from the rest of us. We have cleared the world of smallpox through a UN backed worldwide effort. There was another initiative to rid the world of polio by universal vaccines. We had done so well that by the 1980s the US quit giving 4 live doses and changed to 2 dead followed by 2 live to cut the dozen or so cases of polio caused by the vaccine. Now children get 4 dead doses in many first world countries. But with only tales of polio in war areas where the vaccination teams cannot go first worlders have gotten complascent. The US had several cases a few years back of wild polio in an Amish community. This is scary as hell! Seeing vaccine related polio cases was one thing and some of those were grandparents who were never vaccinated who got the disease from changing a babies diaper within 2 weeks of a live dose. This is why universal vaccination is so important. Once we get the needed dead/live vaccine to the world then we can switch to all dead until a generation of no vaccine nor "wild" polio. Wild polio is that caused by the spread from person to person not due to a vaccination.

Off my soap box.

Oh, the swine flu vaccine of the 1970s and early 1980's was a fully live vaccine with the slightly higher complication rate that live vaccines have. But even those complications are nothing to what a serious flu can do to infants and children, the elderly and us, those with problems clearing lungs. I had that live vaccine and I'm still here. This one is dead.

Me? Hey, I cruise on ships filled with thousands of people twice a year lately. I'm going to try and get my seasonal flu shot this weekend with my husband. My doctor is still trying to find a good source of information short of getting a rather iffy titers test on the H1N1 for me. My husband is getting the shot when it comes out. My biggest problem with viruses is getting bronchitus afterwards. Due to that I've had 2 Pnuemovax shots 5 years apart. If you are a quad and think the H1N1 is not tested enough for you than I suggest talking to your doctor about getting the Pnuemovax vaccine. It has been out for years. Yes, the arm you get it in will hurt badly for 3 days after but it beats dead.

These vaccines are made in the US this year from what I understand. I would ask but they should not contain Thirmasol (mercury) as a preservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I am very inventive [oops, meant sensitive] and could be dead wrong, given my contradiction with the medical establishment. But I think vaccines are evil and I will avoid then at all costs.

They swine flu vaccine in the 70s totally screwed up my body, though I suspect it might have been from developing an overgrowth of yeast systemically from the ingredient in at (very comic thing a name I forget) that I don't think they use anymore. Maybe Mercury?)

I never could remember if I hadto get vaccines before going to Spain in college, but i had my first funky parasthesias upon my retrn.

The MMR boster I had to get in a 90 really I think affected my coordination and balance.

My first walking difficulties occurred very shortly after my getting a tetanus shotf.

It’s enough to convince me. Getting sick is very bad for me too, but I'd rather take my chances than ensure getting screwed up.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

This is a good response. I'm still not sure yet. I hear that you can not get the nose spray if you are over 50, and I'm 57.

WI has the nose spray for health car providers now.

Wheels, Yes, noone under 2 or over 49 should get the mist unless specifically told to by a doctor. So we'll both get the seasonal flu shot. Then when we return November 9th from our next cruise my husband will get the H1N1 shot and I may too if my doctor decides I do not have enough antibodies to fight off the current strain. Since I hit the big 50 this year no mist in my future either. LOL

And none of the info I gave above applies to those who have vaccination induced TM. Talk to your neurologist. For everyone else, we still do not know which vaccines can cause vaccine induced TM. The TM Association tracks this, as does the CDC from what I was told, and when I asked them about the Hepatitis A vaccine found it's still something they follow closely and chart cases reported but so far there is no cluster over any one vaccine. It is still a rare condition vaccines or not.

Oh, two notes from a few PMs I got. If you will be changing an infant's diapers ask the pediatrician, or parent, if the polio vaccines they get are live or dead. If live wear gloves for two weeks after their vaccine. In some countries a polio booster is recommended for all adults and to people traveling to those countries.

If you, or someone you know, has been diagnosed and discharged from the US military for TM please PM me. So far I have only heard of one case of vaccine induced TM from all those shots but I don't know everyone in the US. I mainly witnessed a bunch of big burly guys faint when I went through my Friday shot days. lol
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm told in Europe that lower levels (safer) of vaccine are given than in North America. I have no idea what how much of a vaccine is given in either continent.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

talked to my doc last week, he said when they get the swine baccine, it will be in the mist form, not a shot, kinda like a inhaler
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan