Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: what should I expect?

Good luck tomorrow, Coleen!
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Thanks, Skippy13. I'm nervous, but will try to keep my focus.

All the best, Coleen, think positive.

The VA wants to try to rehab me & is putting off surgery until my "legs are stonger". It didn't make much sense to me, but I guess that's how it's done here. Hope there's no additional 'problems' from the rehab.
    Last edited by Coleen; 11-08-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling

I don't know of too many surgeons who will jump right into surgery without exhausting all other options first. Every time you see a new doc, they want to try all other treatments first.

You know that surgery is probably an eventuality, and that you will probably end up there, but that is just the way most surgeons do things. Frustrating I know, but that is the way it is for most things of this nature.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

I don't mind waiting - surgery is a big thing. I just don't want anything to be further messed up doing rehab. Waiting is cool, more problems isn't.

Turns out I saw a rehab doc & not a neuro surgeon. I'll talk to PCP about it when I next see her. In the meantime, the rehab doc will be starting me after the cardio guys say it's ok, so that'll be sometime in December. If it's not one thing, it's another, although rehab will either help me or 'finish me off'.

I'm not an authority on this, but the doctor you saw and neurosurgeons should have consulted each other on your behalf to judge what needs done. Then that doctor would have passed that judgment on to you at your appointment. I think that's how it works, maybe KLD or someone familiar with it will chime in.

Of the several surgeries I've had there, I don't recall seeing surgeons till the surgery has been agreed upon between the SCI doctors and them (the surgeons).