Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what should I expect?

Went in for labs & a pneumonia shot - my second day & vist there - nurse game me the shot, the when logging it into my record, looked at the vial, excused herself & all but ran out of the room. 20 minutes later, she poped her head back in & said she'd be right back. 10 more minutes & in she comes with the PA - turns out she gave me a full vial of the under the skin TB testing solution. Lovely. Vitals & an EKG & another hour later & they decided to give me the pneumonia shot in 2 weeks, and they'd called the company & was told I should be ok. I'm going to ask to be tested for TB in a month, just in case - in 2 weeks, it'd still show 'positive', I believe. Guess I've had my 'glitch'.

That is a totally unacceptable error for them to make. Please contact the office of Risk Management and ask that they implement a RCA (root cause analysis) immediately to get to the cause of this error, and implement measures to prevent this from ever happening again. You should also get a formal disclosure and apology from the VA about this error (there is a policy related to this). Contact the Patient Advocate to be sure this gets done.

(KLD)

"should be ok"..gotta love the VA sometimes.

Glad you're still with us Coleen, honestly, it could have just as easily been a deadly drug they gave you. As KLD alludes to; good advice there, too, thank you.

KLD; should she also contact her PVA National Service Officer about this?

KLD, where do I find a patient advocate? would the paitent services assistant be able to help me with this? It's an easy one - the pharmacist gave the nurse the wrong vial, the nurse didn't check the vial until after the injection.
    I'll contact whomever I should, as I'd rather this not happen to someone else also. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleen View Post
    KLD, where do I find a patient advocate? would the paitent services assistant be able to help me with this? It's an easy one - the pharmacist gave the nurse the wrong vial, the nurse didn't check the vial until after the injection.
    I'll contact whomever I should, as I'd rather this not happen to someone else also. Thanks.
    Hi Coleen,

Sorry to hear about the mix up. I'm sure all will be fine, but keep careful notes in case something arises later. Names, dates, who said what, etc.. And keep copies of your treatment records whenever possible, particularly when you sense an error might've occurred.

As far as patient advocates, you can seek the assistance of a VA patient advocate at the facility or you can sign on with Paralyzed Veterans of America and have the Senior Benefits Advocate in Seattle assist you. Here's the contact info:

1660 S. Columbian Way, Rm 1-B-163
    Seattle, WA 98108
    206-768-5415

Thanks! I'll be in the Seattle VA on Nov 5the to be seen at the spine clinic, so I'll check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleen View Post

The pharmacist made a serious error and so did the nurse. Every nurse knows that it is their reponsibility to check the "Five Rights" before giving any medication. This includes:
    • Right drug
    • Right patient
    • Right route
    • Right dose
    • Right time
    Clearly she failed on both the first and fourth of these.

Every VA employee at the CBOC or medical center should be able to direct you to the office of the patient advocate. You can call the hospital operator and ask to be transferred to their office. The same goes for the office of Risk Management.

You may go through your PVA NSO as well if you wish, but my understanding is that you still have not linked up with this person. Do not delay. Don't let another day go by without reporting this and demanding a response, which is your right and the VA's responsibility. November 5 is WAY TOO LATE!!!

(KLD)

I talked to the patient advocate & risk management yesterday afternoon, and all is being taken care of. I've also requested that TB testing be done 4 weeks from the event. I don't know if there's any 'danger' of them having given me TB, and I'm probably being over cautious, but isn't the TB testing stuff active? Please correct me if I'm wrong about that one!

Started with the VA's coumadi clinic yesterday - I first balked at a 1 1/2 hour 'class' as I've been on coumadin for multiple years, but was I wrong! I took home some really good info! Also have to see the vascular studies people for a 'non healing foot wound' but I don't see how that applies. Oh well, I guess they almost know what they're doing! Had a re-do test for cryoglobulinenemia yesterday, too, & see the oncology department on 11/17 for that. Things are moving pretty quickly, and I feel like I'm in a whirlwind! My civilian PCP says to do PT, the VA says not to - it's a little confusing. I've decided to drop my civilian PCP, though - too many cooks!

Sounds like you are filling up your appointment book for sure. They can move rather quickly when there is reason to.

I hope you are getting good care, but you do have to be an active and educated participant in what they are doing. I'm sure that you are doing just that. I also did the same and dropped my civvie PCP. The VA is really very good despite the medicine mistake. That will never happen again with you I bet. You won't let it.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess