Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: what should I expect?

what should I expect?

I'm going for my VA 'intake' appointment for my medical in 2 weeks - any idea what I should expect? I've had the same PCP for 16 years, so this is a major change for me & I'm more than a bit nervous. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Coleen View Post
    I'm going for my VA 'intake' appointment for my medical in 2 weeks - any idea what I should expect? I've had the same PCP for 16 years, so this is a major change for me & I'm more than a bit nervous. Thanks
    Rev Coleen,

You should expect a professional team of health care workers to do a comprehensive assessment of your medical history and present state of health. I'd advise you to ask about and take advantage of any programs, like smoking cessation or support groups, that may address any wellness issues you face. Like anything else in life, your experience will depend on a lot of things, but an optimistic attitude is a good place to start. Welcome to the VA system.

Rev Coleen,

I go to Jefferson Brks in St. Louis. They are very professional and very helpful.
    Jefferson Brks has its own SCI building so it is really a tight group.
    You will be run thru the mill. exam, blood test, urine, ( do not eat prior), phyic, Social, physical therapy, Occupational, ect. Our Doctors are very good only do SCI. The support staff works just with SCI and are great. Hope you have the same type of facility. Let us know how it went.
    Semper fi

Thanks, guys.

Oh, the VA doesn't know I'm probable chronic CES or am SCI, but they'll find out at my intake. I've seen the Patient Services Assistant, and she knows I'm in a chair, but didn't ask why. Will that make any difference?

This first appointment will be important as you should be assigned to a primary care physician and clinic at that time. If you are going to Seattle, you need to ask to be referred to the SCI Center clinic for primary care. They can take it from there. Did you get rated as a category 4 when you did your eligibility? If not, they can help with that. Of course you also need to get ahold of and work with the PVA National Service Officer there.

(KLD)

I'm cat 5, but they might change that. I'm going to American Lake for my intake, but I'd do Seattle, if they recommend it. American Lake had the first opening and are closer.

Well, tomorrow's the day I have my intake at American Lake, and I'm getting pretty nervous. Hope it goes ok - it's the first time I've changed PCP's in 16 years, so I guess it's about time, especially with the poor help I've been given since April with my medical issues.

All the best, Colleen, let us know how it goes.

Good luck to you and I hope you will get the care that you need.