Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gabapentin

Gabapentin

Just started on Gabapentin. 1800mg daily and only side effects so far is a thick tongue. My speach sounds like I've been drinking a bit. Has anyone been on this long term?

I took it for 3 years and finally came off it over the past month. I'm still not over it. Was sick as a junky coming off smack for the better part of 2 weeks. Having my mind as well as my pain back I'm not sure I'll ever sacrifice the former for the latter again. Turns out it didn't work well for me as I'm finding my pain is still similar off the drug. Some ppl report becoming accustom to the mental fuzziness over time but I didn't. It was hard to appreciate having been on it for so long, but now I'm done with it I'm pleasantly surprised just how much more focus and presence I have during the day.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Many people use it long-term, with varying degrees of success and tolerance.

I take 800 mg four times a day for my nerve pain. You get used to it. If you want to come off just decrease one pill a day for a week and go from their.
    Best Regards

i've been on max dosage of gaba for almost 9 years now (900mg 4X's daily) plus sometimes take an extra 600mg's if pain is unbearable. cloudy headed? yes, but i know i'd be worse off pain wise w/o it.. especially no winters comin, im feeling the pain worsen.. also noticing the effect of the gaba is not as painreleaving as it use to be. but, it takes the edge off.

Quote Originally Posted by khoac6 View Post
    i've been on max dosage of gaba for almost 9 years now (900mg 4X's daily) plus sometimes take an extra 600mg's if pain is unbearable. cloudy headed? yes, but i know i'd be worse off pain wise w/o it.. especially no winters comin, im feeling the pain worsen.. also noticing the effect of the gaba is not as painreleaving as it use to be. but, it takes the edge off.
    Depending on individual factors, a number of people take more than 3600mg of Neurontin per day when it's used for neuro pain, if you're able to tolerate it. It's a serious drug, consult carefully with your doctor before trying anything like this.

I take it at night, but am going to ask about increasing it to a daytime dose, too. Maybe that'll help. I've been on it for 4 years now & it helps with my neuropothy, so maybe an increase (with my doc's blessing only) would help the CES pain?

i took it for about 2 weeks itched like crazy i quit taking it my mom takes and loves it

I've been on Gabapentin for about 2 years. I can't tolerate 1800 mgs/day...it makes me stupid. I take 1200 mgs. That dosage takes the edge off and I can still think.
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

I've been on it since 11/04 900mg x 4. I did go off of it for 11 months and switched to Lyrica. When I came off the neurontin, I felt asthough the fog lifted from my mind. I went to the Cleveland Clinic for an intense 4 week at their pain clinic (8 hrs/day). The Dr took me off Lyrica (horible weight gain)and my balance improved....and was switched back to baclofen. Now being back on neurontin I don't experience the mind fog. As a side note....as they increased the neurontin back up to 3600 mg/day, they took me off baclofen and my strength improved. They also took me off ellavil and switched to maprotiline. Their pain clinic is amazing.