Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: All American(ish) Menu

Big fat ruben sandwich with HUGE steamy hot fries. Apple cobbler ala mode. hmmm, I can hear your arteries hardening from here!
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Spinach Artichoke Dip for a appetizer. Serve it with chips and some soft garlic bread!

Philly Cheese Steaks are good.

Patty Melt with sauteed onions. Burger with American and Swiss cheese, but it's on Rye bread and fried in a pan like a grilled cheese sandwich.

Onion Rings.

Ketchup or a good Ranch Dressing for dipping things like fries and onion rings. I'm a ranch girl when I do eat these bad foods which is rare these days.

Let us know what you end up making.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." ~ James Dean
    http://www.kristi-allen.com

How could I forget my gramma's idea of a laid back meal on the back porch?

Fried Chicken
    Cheesey Grits
    Potato salad
    Macaroni salad
    Corn on the Cob
    Watermelon
    Strawberry rhubarb pie
    Vanilla Ice Cream

Sweet Tea
    Root beer floats
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

I always found it weird that for Thanksgiving, cut french beans in mushroom soup served with fried onions on top seemed to be a staple?

Also corn bread.

The guys at work go nuts for Coney Island junk food and cross the border for it specifically ... ?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

meatloaf,mashed potatoes or mac and cheese and a veggie of your choice.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

Lynnifer, I make my Thanksgiving dressing out of half cornbread, half stale white bread. Other than that, our only use for cornbread is to accompany a pot of ham 'n' beans. Can't have beans w/o cornbread! You're right, the green bean/mushroom soup thing is a marketing coup for the French Fried Onions ppl. EVERY year I think how bizarre that dish is. I have a recipe that dresses it up some w/ bacon, dried onion soup,a touch of oregano. It has to sit in the fridge overnight. Still weird, but far better than the original!

Rhino, do y'all eat ham 'n' beans? It is kind of like a soup, made of some kind of dried beans, and ham for flavor. The cornbread sops up the juice. In the center of the US, at least, communities will often have "Bean Feeds" to raise money. The men cook giant vats of dried navy beans or pinto, even lima beans, over a big fire. Served w/ cornbread and coleslaw, and iced tea, usually in the summer. Beans are cheap, they don't go bad; they are our poverty food. Except they are so gooood! The profit margin is huge if you charge $5/meal.

I think all little Kansas towns do this, to pay for fireworks displays and the like.

In some states they do Chili Cookoffs instead, but Kansas is all about the beans.

The most American accompaniment to BBQ = Macaroni and Cheese, imo. There are as many recipes as there are cooks. They are all good.

Notice all these things equal a carb and an incomplete protein? American food does this, combines things to make a whole protein for dinner. Mexico is the same, with beans and tortillas.

My favorite BBQ = chicken breasts, marinated all afternoon in equal parts olive oil + lemon juice, with thyme and rosemary. Grill 7 min each side, basting w/ marinade occasionally. Serve w/ homemade bread and grilled asparagus, marinated in another bowl of the same thing as the chicken. Sprinkle w/ sea salt, place on grill. It shrinks, and Jake eats half of it before it comes off the grill LOL-so get plenty of asparagus!

If the weather is crappy, consider a pot of beans. And cornbread natch-and Mac 'n' Cheese!

Appetizer-Velveeta cheese, melted and mixed w/ Ro-Tel tomatoes, served w/ tortilla chips. A true American classic.

Best of all-chicken 'n' dumplings. O how I love them!

Most classic BBQ-Hot dogs grilled, served on buns w/ ketchup, mustard, pickle relish, chopped onions, grated cheese etc. I like brats better than dogs, personally.
    Last edited by betheny; 09-29-2009 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I always found it weird that for Thanksgiving, cut french beans in mushroom soup served with fried onions on top seemed to be a staple?
    But delicious!

I always found it weird that you guys north of the border celebrate Thanksgiving before we do.

Cheese you say?

You have to try deep fried cheese!
    I used to get it at the state fair in Minnesota - cheddar chunks dipped in batter, fried and heavily doused with salt. It tastes incredible if it doesn't kill you on the spot.

Mac and Cheese

I don't quite belong on this forum, but have gotten some valuable info from here - so I'd really like to share - I do cook. This takes a bit to make, but is the best mac & cheese I've had. Good luck with the contest, whatever you choose!

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

2 cups pasta (Cellentani, Cavatappi, etc.)
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    6 slices bacon
    1/2 cup chopped onions
    1/2 cup chopped green peppers
    3 1/2 Tbs butter, divided
    8 oz mushrooms, sliced
    2 Tbs flour
    2 cups milk
    1 tsp paprika
    salt
    pepper
    2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
    1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, optional

1 Preheat oven to 350°.
    2 Boil 6 cups water with 1 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook macaroni according to package directions and drain.
    3 Sauté mushrooms in 1/2 Tbsp. butter. Set aside. Wipe out skillet.
    4 Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces and fry until crisp. Drain, leaving bacon grease in skillet. Set aside.
    5 Fry onion and green pepper briefly in bacon grease. Drain and set aside.
    6 Melt 2 Tbsp. butter. Add flour and cook slightly.
    7 Add milk, onions, green pepper, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    8 Add 2/3 of cheese and mix.
    9 Season with salt and pepper to taste.
    10 Mix in pasta, bacon, mushrooms, and tomatoes.
    11 Grease baking dish (round casserole).
    12 Pour 1/2 mixture into dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 of remaining cheese.
    13 Pour remaining mixture over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
    14 If desired, cook breadcrumbs in 1 Tbsp. butter and sprinkle over top.
    15 Bake 30 minutes or until browned.
    16 Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Cooking Tip: Do not use dried bread crumbs; omit if fresh are not available.
    Last edited by TAM63; 09-30-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: was mushed together

From "Jamie's American road trip" last night......

....... a whole pig Barbecued over a pit.

You may have to sacrifice your window box for this!