Thread: H1N1 Flu Mist

H1N1 Flu Mist

According to reports, the first wave of vaccinations for H1N1 will be in the form of a flu mist vaccine. According to the CDC certain people should not use this version, including those with 'underlying health conditions'.

I assume this is due to the fact that, unlike the injected H1N1 of the vaccine which uses a dead viruse, the mist version uses an attenuated (weakened but live) version of the virus. The logical presumption is that those with underlying health conditions could get the full blown flu from the mist version.

So my questions are:

1. is it safe of those with SCI to get the flumist version of the H1N1 vaccine?

2. if not, and the other 4 members (including 3 kids ages 6, 10 and 13) of my family get the flumist version will I be exposed to the live virus?

3. should all household members just wait on the injectable version even though we will all be unvaccinated longer (the injectable version will reportedly arrive 2 to 4 weeks after the flumist version)

None of this is yet available. We are awaiting the specific recommendations from the CDC, which I will post as soon as they are available.

You should definitely get the seasonal flu vaccine now available. It is recommended that this not wait until you can also get the H1N1.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    None of this is yet available. We are awaiting the specific recommendations from the CDC, which I will post as soon as they are available.

You should definitely get the seasonal flu vaccine now available. It is recommended that this not wait until you can also get the H1N1.

(KLD)
    KLD, is the seasonal flumist acceptable for a C6 complete with no known immune problems? I was scheduled for a seasonal flu shot at my physician's practice but they lost their supply due to a refrigeration breakdown. Local outlets(CVS, Walgreens) have not been resupplied with shots yet. I do have access to a flumist.