Thread: Rice?.................

Rice?.................

...is many things but what are they?

I just found a "new" sticky rice at my neighborhood Japanese market, Oto's. It's California grown and subjected to a new milling process that allows the germ to be retained while removing all the hull. The idea is the retain the sticky, molding qualities necessary to making sushi and still keeping the highly nutritious germ with it's B vitamins, etc.. Out of curiosity, I started checking it's nutritional characteristics with those of some high quallity long-grain and some brown (unhulled) rices. Of course the brown outshown the others for fiber but surprise: the HQ LG rice had more protein than either of the others.

Maybe someone knows something about rice - or has some favorites - and would like to add to what we know about rice. A favorite rice story perhaps? DanNC's dad made him a lover of sushi, miso and many other Japanese culinary mainstays, so how about it Dan?
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 09-28-2009 at 06:49 PM.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin View Post
    ...is many things but what are they?

I just found a "new" sticky rice at my neighborhood Japanese market, Oto's. It's California grown and subjected to a new milling process that allows the germ to be retained while removing all the hull. The idea is the retain the sticky, molding qualities necessary to making sushi. Out of curiosity, I started checking it's nutritional characteristics with those of some high quallity long-grain and some brown (unhulled) rices. Surprise: the HQ LG rice had more protein than either of the others.

Maybe someone knows something about rice - or has some favorites - and would like to add to what we know about rice. A favorite rice story perhaps? DanNC's dad made him a lover of sushi, miso and many other Japanese culinary mainstays, so how about it Dan?
    I love two bags of the 5 minute boil in the bag rice with half a cube of real butter melted in it. Yummy. Is that bad Jukie?
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    I love two bags of the 5 minute boil in the bag rice with half a cube of real butter melted in it. Yummy. Is that bad Jukie?
    Hey RDF, of course it's bad; it's fast and white (all the nutrients in the hull and germ have been stripped away in the milling process) but it's still healthier than many other foods. I try to stay with the "whole foods, plant based" way/philosophy of eating/diet - but I'm much too loose to resist some sausage, marrinated eel, meat dumplings (wontons and pot stickers), etc., etc.. The spirit is willing but the flesh, all too often, is weak..

BTW, thanks - and you know what I'm refering to.
    J.B.S.Haldane

That's bad RDF.

thanks for the info Juke_spin. I've always used brown rice but I like the added protein qualities of your discovery.

Here's a rice story for you: there is a cottage sake brewer on Granville Island here in Vancouver who has been importing rice for his product. This year he tried an experimental rice paddy in the interior of British Columbia in a semi arid region. It was a raging success. So much so that he plans a much larger crop next year and hopes to stop importing rice in the near future. He credits global warming with making the area a rice friendly climate.

oto's is the best place in town to get sushi grade fish!
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

this is my favorite dish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilaf
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Juke, can you post the name on the bag the LG rice. Can't find any online but we have a great local Japanese market.

Oto's and Sushi/etc. Rice

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Juke, can you post the name on the bag the LG rice. Can't find any online but we have a great local Japanese market.
    Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    oto's is the best place in town to get sushi grade fish!
    VQ, I got my "Hiaga" ("germ") rice at the Japanese market that Feisty recommends for sushi grade fish and (don't hold me to it) believe it's this, http://www.tamakimai.com/products.html (the 2nd one). The market is at
    4990 Freeport Blvd
    Sacramento, CA 95822-2153
    (916) 424-2398. Here's a link to they're site, http://otosmarketplace.com/home/
    J.B.S.Haldane