Thread: Miracle man walks again

Miracle man walks again

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com....c-walks-again/

IN THE two years since a bizarre motel fall left him with a terrifying spinal cord injury, Maryborough's Peter Edwards never gave up.
    With an unyielding, positive attitude the 42-year-old - diagnosed as a quadriplegic - defied medical odds to rise up and walk again.
    “My doctors told me I was one of the most determined patients they'd seen,” Mr Edwardssaid Sunday.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.”
    That's Peter's mantra for life after he got trapped in the bed sheet in a Brisbane motel at 3.30 on a 2007 morning, fell into a cupboard, cracked his head, wrecked his spinal cord - and didn't play in a ten pin tournament that day.
    “Well, actually everything went pear-shaped,” said the former Wide Bay Transit cleaner, and petrol head when it comes to the big rigs he admits he will probably never drive again.
    “But there's no way I'm ever going to give up and that's why I've started standing up and even walking a bit again.
    “I did 20 steps today. Nothing in this world will ever stop me from trying......

(Well, we all try. I believe everyone who is sci tries with all their heart, all their body and will. I am glad to see more articles on sci and healing. What do others think about this and other articles in print & web?)

He's a bowling athlete! Naturally the mental toughness that defines his sport was key in him defying the odds and getting unwrapped from his bed sheet to rise again!

I'd rather see some realistic press on people with disabilities who put in two hours of work just to get up and go to work. That's what I think about this and other articles on the small percentage of people with spinal injuries not as devastating as originally thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    He's a bowling athlete! Naturally the mental toughness that defines his sport was key in him defying the odds and getting unwrapped from his bed sheet to rise again!

I'd rather see some realistic press on people with disabilities who put in two hours of work just to get up and go to work. That's what I think about this and other articles on the small percentage of people with spinal injuries not as devastating as originally thought.
    I agree VQ. I actually hate articles like this. The tone of it says that if you try hard and work hard , you will be able to walk again. Well, I am sorry, but that undermines the attempts made by most SCIs, who try and work as hard as the next person. There are too many variables with spinal injuries, and it gives false hope to someone who does not have the ability to regain function. There are no miracles. There is skill of doctors and researchers, and there is luck , but if the cord is damaged too bad...it ain't going to happen.

I also think that SCI in the news is good, but this type of story is not helpful. To the AB person who reads this , and thinks , well if he can walk again, they all can. It gives people a feeling of false hope thinking that a cure has already happened , and they may not feel that interest or donations are necessary. We need all the help and attention we can get that a cure is needed.
    Veni.Vidi,Velcro...I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Vidi, Vici, et Veni, et Veni, et Veni...

[QUOTE=MarkPals;1101906]I agree VQ. I actually hate articles like this. The tone of it says that if you try hard and work hard , you will be able to walk again.
    QUOTE]

That part bothered me too. Everyone "tries". I like that SCI is in the news. We need to show there is some healing, some recover, and some long way to go. The fight is not over until everyone Recovers. That is one part of the story this article was a zero on.