Thread: Seasonal flu shot may increase H1N1 risk

Seasonal flu shot may increase H1N1 risk

Yet another reason to 'just say no' to the seasonal flu shot.

Four Canadian studies involved about 2,000 people, health officials told CBC News. Researchers found people who had received the seasonal flu vaccine in the past were more likely to get sick with the H1N1 virus.
    http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/...-seasonal.html

hmmmmmm.....seems odd.

Quoting Dr. Don Low it hasn't been validated yet. perhaps another way to increase people's fears. I could just write," Using public bathrooms will increase your risk of the Swine Flu", insert your headline here.....

Wash your friggin' hands, don't touch your face and stay home when your sick.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

damned if you do, damned if you don't......

"The flu affects 10-25% of Canadians each year. While the majority who become sick will recover, the flu results in an average of 20,000 hospitalizations and 4,000 deaths in Canada each year. " (http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/im/iif-vcg/index-eng.php)

"The 2009 flu pandemic in Canada, part of an epidemic in 2009 of a new strain of influenza A virus subtype H1N1 causing what has been commonly called swine flu, has (as of July 24, 2009) afflicted at least 10,456 people in Canada, with 76 confirmed deaths. Canada has the highest number of confirmed cases per capita in North America." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_flu_pandemic_in_Canada)

I will wait and see what information comes out in the next few weeks regarding the as of yet somewhat irresponsible release of preliminary results of a not yet peer reviewed study into the panicky hands of the scientifically illiterate media to throw as a sound bite to the generally scientifically illiterate public before I make my decision on whether to get a standard flu shot or not. However, looking at the odds above, I am leaning towards getting it again. Even though it doesn’t have the scary word “swine” in its name. Maybe they should call the seasonal flu the "poop your pants flu" to get more people to worry about it.

I've never been a big fan of the flu shot. I was even less a fan after my mother went in for her first flu shot because she had just turned 65 and was dead within four days. But that's my personal opinion.

These four studies simply inform you of the most effective way to combat H1N1 if you are a fan of immunizations. I would think that would be very relevant information.

VQ, Was there an autopsy done or signs of either an allergic reaction, TM or Guillame Barre Syndrome? Sorry about your Mom. There's always a discussion among the TM community about any immunizations because some cases are related to vaccines. Problem is that there seems to be no appearent specific shot to tie it to.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

VanQuad, so sorry about your mom.

I got my seasonal flu shot yesterday. I have never had any reactions in the past, but you guys are making me nervous! LOL!

I should have explained more fully. Mom got the usual post-flu shot symptoms including laryngitis. And believe me, she never had laryngitis. She was always able to verbalize! :-) The coughing triggered a heart attack. She then had a blowout five days post-heart attack.

Many people don't believe there are post-flu shot symptoms. But they definitely happen. The scary part is they cannot be explained.