Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: if you were financed one-year project, what would you do for the disabled community?

Sometimes I wonder if we should hit up G20, G8 summits. Strategic protesting.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I'm working on a mostly self-funded program to raise local awareness of the concepts of Universal Design and Visitability in residential housing construction. This past Thursday, the Executive Director of one county chapter of Habitat for Humanity agreed to incorporate as many accessibility features as affordable into ALL of their new homes. Previously, the empathise was only on the accessibility needs of the homeowner at the time of construction. Future homes will give more consideration to accessibility needs which may arise throughout a family life span. We also discussed the importance of making the homes accessible to visitors and any new families that might acquire the homes through re-sale. We also agreed to explore the possibility of a grant funded project to create a demonstration model incorporating state of the art accessibility features.

Ten grand isn't much, but it might be enough to provide the seed money to move the ball down the field a little faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinaDoll View Post
    i did get funding for a one year project.... and i'm creating a comprehensive multimedia (video) resource for women with SCI.

if i had unlimited funding... i would put an elevator in every 2+ level buildings, enlarge every public wheelchair accessible bathroom and automatic door in every public building and business! finally, promote universal design and get builder to build buildings that not only build to accessibility code but beat it by 10%.

i dream a lot!
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    I'm working on a mostly self-funded program to raise local awareness of the concepts of Universal Design and Visitability in residential housing construction. This past Thursday, the Executive Director of one county chapter of Habitat for Humanity agreed to incorporate as many accessibility features as affordable into ALL of their new homes. Previously, the empathise was only on the accessibility needs of the homeowner at the time of construction. Future homes will give more consideration to accessibility needs which may arise throughout a family life span. We also discussed the importance of making the homes accessible to visitors and any new families that might acquire the homes through re-sale.
    I worked on a Habitat build this summer, and was pleased to see that they understand and embrace this at our local chapter. The neighborhood is all Habitat homes, but they've been built over the course of three years. One of the first homes has a large ramp off the back door, but the front door wasn't accessible. They realized for the amount of money it took to put in the ramp and modify a few things inside the house, they could simply build all the homes accessible from the start. So the new homes being built this year have no steps into the house, and all doorways and hallways are 36" wide. It's nice to see that - too bad builders of more costly homes are getting the same message!
    Kimber in SoCal
    Wife to Tom, T12 incomplete since 1988

In Albania? Try and find a matching grant and buy an accessible minivan to take local wheelchair users to hospital and doctor appointments. Charge a very small amount to cover insurance and get volunteer drivers. If the city/town is anywhere near the cruise ship port use it for disabled passengers and charge the going rate in say..Dubrovnik. By using it those few days for foreign travelers, you can save toward a second vehicle fairly quickly. Once you have a second vehicle you can also take people to their jobs daily. Jobs are important to have the AB community see that with proper supports the disabled can pay their way.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

good question. $10,000 = INR 5,00,000/- .

Step 1 : Collect database of wheelchair users for one huge sity bombay. that cost to INR 20,000.
    Step 2 : Buy 1 wheelchair accessiable van accomodating 7 wheelchair users same as rate of bus fare. buy van on emi INR 10,000 per month
    Step 3 : Tie ups with companies hiring wheelchair users and alloting job to wheelchair users candidates.
    Step 4 : Generate side revenue on sundays by giving van on rent to AB. Revenue per month around INR 5000 and thus clearing half EMI.
    Step 5 : Rolling the $5000 in FD and thus earning interest.

This can work good in India.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura24 View Post
    Now, I'm not talking about being given $1 million but a simple project off like 10,000. What would you do with that money in a one-year time?
    i would buy one big sniper gun, barett would be nice.. and i would clean my country from shit...
    http://www.facebook.com/ivicamaotze.rod

Cornerbrook, Newfoundland in Canada bought a lift equipped small bus to take local PWDs to appointments and shopping. They knew ahead of time the days cruise ships came to town and asked people not to book appointments those days. I think they have a second bus like the first and a third for the school district now.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.