Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if you were financed one-year project, what would you do for the disabled community?

if you were financed one-year project, what would you do for the disabled community?

Now, I'm not talking about being given $1 million but a simple project off like 10,000. What would you do with that money in a one-year time?

Visit SCI victims in hospital/rehab and document, blog, and vlog their lives during their first year.

Maybe put together an accessibility guide for my community.
    *restaurants, theaters, supermarkets with accessible bathrooms [and descriptions of bathroom stall with and type of grab bars]
    *doctors and dentists who have high low exam tables and dental chairs
    *motels, hotels, inns with roll-in showers, tub seats, etc.
    * bicycle shops willing to change tires
    *accomodating gas stations

Or maybe set up a clearinghouse for no longer needed durable medical supplies run by one or two social agencies or houses of worship.

Interesting thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura24 View Post
    I'm not talking about being given $1 million but a simple project off like 10,000. What would you do with that money in a one-year time?
    Help newly disabled peopled to get adaptive equipment allowing them to drive again. (easy to do when buying a new car, but a lot of people can't afford one.)

C.

provide a sevice whereby a newly injured person would be visited overtime by someone who has been through the same thing or has had a similiar injury, so they could offer advice and support and help to this person, on how to adjust to their new life and the problems and emotions that they may have to deal with...as good and all as doctors nurses and pshychiatrists are..it is only a person who has been through sci can understand it.

i did get funding for a one year project.... and i'm creating a comprehensive multimedia (video) resource for women with SCI.

if i had unlimited funding... i would put an elevator in every 2+ level buildings, enlarge every public wheelchair accessible bathroom and automatic door in every public building and business! finally, promote universal design and get builder to build buildings that not only build to accessibility code but beat it by 10%.

i dream a lot!
    "Always look at the bright side of life...."

research stem cells. not for me, for the next gen.

Hit the UN hard to catch other countries up to speed on the social niceties we enjoy in the first world countries. I.E. Adi wouldn't have been sitting in that chair of his all this time. There are others that have posted here from other countries - stuck on a second floor with no one to care for them.

Their plight needs the world's attention.

Not sure $10,000 would even be a drop in the bucket though.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I agree, $10k won't go too far, but it could certainly fund a part-time effort, depending on available resources. My rent is $825/mo, or $9,900/yr... just for perspective.

I'm funded on a grant project through grad school with a heavy emphasis on community inclusion for people w/ disabilities, primarily transition-age (18-21) kids right now.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Hit the UN hard to catch other countries up to speed on the social niceties we enjoy in the first world countries. I.E. Adi wouldn't have been sitting in that chair of his all this time. There are others that have posted here from other countries - stuck on a second floor with no one to care for them.

Their plight needs the world's attention.

Not sure $10,000 would even be a drop in the bucket though.
    Make them hit Norway hard in the head. It is not the money who is the problem here but the attitude of the people and the Government
    TH 12, 43 years post