Thread: NIH moves forward with expanded funding for stem cell research

NIH moves forward with expanded funding for stem cell research

NIH moves forward with expanded funding for stem cell research
    September 21, 2009 | 12:25 pm

The National Institutes of Health moved closer today to fulfilling President Obama’s pledge to expand the number of stem cell lines eligible for use in federally funded research projects.

Dr. Francis Collins, the NIH’s new director, named members of a working group that will vet applications from researchers who want to add specific lines of human embryonic stem cells to the agency’s official stem cell registry. The group’s analysis will go to an NIH advisory committee, which will make recommendations to Collins, who will make the final decision about whether a particular cell line is acceptable.

more...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/boos...h-funding.html

The slow pace of this is deeply disappointing. We have just lost another year. Wise.

Truly Disappointing

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    The slow pace of this is deeply disappointing. We have just lost another year. Wise.

Dr. Young,

I am so disappointed to read this article. When you say that we lost another year do you mean that you are anticipating that this process will take until 2010 or 2011 before NIH money will be in the hands of researchers?

Thanks,
    PJ

omg I just want to die

Now, is this better news?

Stem cell research sees interstate teamwork
    David Perlman, Chronicle Science Editor

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

California's stem cell agency has teamed with Maryland's stem cell organization in the first interstate agreement designed to speed research progress through collaboration among scientists.

The agreement, announced Tuesday by leaders of the California Institute for Regenerative Medicine and the Maryland Technology Development Corp., will encourage researchers to work together and share data, according to the heads of both agencies.

Alan Trounson, president of the California stem cell agency known as CIRM, said in an interview Tuesday that his organization plans similar agreements with state-supported stem cell organizations in Massachusetts, Wisconsin and New York, and already has similar partnerships with agencies in six nations.

Researchers in far-flung institutions traditionally join forces on major research projects. One advantage is that stem cell team members receiving funds from their state agencies should stand an even better chance of jointly obtaining money from the National Institutes of Health, the world's major supporter of biomedical research.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...MNMM19QTT1.DTL

Thank you Manouli...i just want to print out something positive my son can read. His depression is so stinking contagious. I can't anymore. Drove over 150 miles to get to him today and bring him 4X4's. They wouldn't let me see him.
    I brought his dog Buji, (Polish word 4 Kiss), with me. Had her all decked out with pink ribbons and 3 bells on her collar. Buji and I went to White Horse Beach in Plymouth and smelled the air and soaked our toes instead.
    I cry all day every day. Ya Know I think Buji does too.

Quote Originally Posted by mckeownp View Post
    Thank you Manouli...i just want to print out something positive my son can read. His depression is so stinking contagious. I can't anymore. Drove over 150 miles to get to him today and bring him 4X4's. They wouldn't let me see him.
    I brought his dog Buji, (Polish word 4 Kiss), with me. Had her all decked out with pink ribbons and 3 bells on her collar. Buji and I went to White Horse Beach in Plymouth and smelled the air and soaked our toes instead.
    I cry all day every day. Ya Know I think Buji does too.

Hi mckeownp, sorry to hear about your son, is not easy when some one instantly becomes paralyzed, even me, after 27 years, get depressed some time. Something good will happen with Dr. Youngs clinical trials, you will see we'll going to be happy. Why don't you let read this article from doctor young, http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=16779 I think it will make him feel good.

give him a lot of kisses from me,manouli.

I'm afraid to read that article now. The Gov't sux, they are always too slow.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    I'm afraid to read that article now. The Gov't sux, they are always too slow.
    Norm, we need to speak out and let the White House know. I spoke at the Baltimore meeting and said that "we have lost another year", using the theme that we should not be sending Americans to China for clinical trials.

I pointed out that NIH just opened their stem cell registry and it doesn't even contain the 21 cell lines that was approved by the Bush administration. Between 2001 and 2009, over 350 embryonic stem cell lines had been created but many of these may not be eligible to be in the Stem Cell Registry. Why don't they simply grandfather all the cell lines that have already been created? That would not violate the Dickey Amendment that forbids NIH funds to be used to do research that harms embryos. After all, this was the reasoning that Bush used to approve all the cell lines that was created before August 9, 2001. Yes, this is the Obama Administration, they now have a registry that has fewer cells than there were during the Bush Administration, and it is almost October 2009.

Then there is the $10 billion stimulus package for the NIH (of $800 billion, by the way). For reasons that nobody can comprehend, NIH decided that the funds would not be used for clinical trials. Why not? Why was it just $10 billion and not $80 billion. Please don't tell me that clinical trials don't provide jobs and don't stimulate the economy. They do stimulate the eonomy and they help people, not just rats. Please don't tell me that the bankers in New York need more stimulus than people in wheelchairs. Isn't there something wrong with the image that the Obama administration is presenting to the world with these choices?

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 09-24-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Norm, we need to speak out and let the White House know. I spoke at the Baltimore meeting and said that "we have lost another year", using the theme that we should not be sending Americans to China for clinical trials.

I pointed out that NIH just opened their stem cell registry and it doesn't even contain the 21 cell lines that was approved by the Bush administration. Between 2001 and 2009, over 350 embryonic stem cell lines had been created but many of these may not be eligible to be in the Stem Cell Registry. Why don't they simply grandfather all the cell lines that have already been created? That would not violate the Dickey Amendment that forbids NIH funds to be used to do research that harms embryos. After all, this was the reasoning that Bush used to approve all the cell lines that was created before August 9, 2001. Yes, this is the Obama Administration, they now have a registry that has fewer cells than there were during the Bush Administration, and it is almost October 2009.

Then there is the $10 billion stimulus package for the NIH (of $800 billion, by the way). For reasons that nobody can comprehend, NIH decided that the funds would not be used for clinical trials. Why not? Why was it just $10 billion and not $80 billion. Please don't tell me that clinical trials don't provide jobs and don't stimulate the economy. They do stimulate the economy and they help people, not just rats. Please don't tell me that the bankers in New York need more stimulus than people in wheelchairs. Isn't there something wrong with the image that the Obama administration is presenting to the world with these choices?

Wise.
    Never once heard you ramble. Wise Man.
    So lets go to Pennsylvania Ave. together. In the mean time:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpA2tMrQ4RU
    I'm sorry but I forgot this.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuPwwGEeSLo
    Last edited by mckeownp; 09-24-2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: forgot this part