Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Falling Down

Falling Down

Last Monday I was transfering onto my bed to change clothes before going out. Hit the floor first.
    Got up on the bed eventually.Checked my body and I seemed to be okay. That night I was going to sleep and I checked it out again. Good I thought.
    Had a crappy sleep and at 5:00 decided to check again. Looked and went Holly Crap. My right knee was the size of a mellon.

By 8am I was in the hospital. My blood preasure was 78/34 They must have taken my BP 15 times.I finally told them not to expect to much more than that.

x-ray - broken Femur just above the knee.
    "Because there was no weight baring they sent me home.

I drove home and was given T3's.

One of the side effects of the trauma (I hope) is my sight. I seem to be having a hard time to focus on words.

I have an appointment with the surgeon tomorrow to get some questioned answered.

Geoffrey

I am surprised they did not try to stabilize it. Hope it is not a bad fracture. If it is suggested, consider putting a pin in. It will hellp protect you from a second fracture.

The voice of experience.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

You definitely need to follow up with the surgeon, I am sssuming it was a crack in the bone and not a more serious fragmented fracture.

CWO

If this is indicative of how the Canadian national health service treats a femoral fracture in someone who is spinal cord injured, then I think we should all be very concerned of single-payer, government controlled health care. To let someone drive home after such an injury and not keep you under observation to determine stability to me seems obviously questionable.

additional problem.

Hi,
    It has been 10 days now and I am still sort of crappy. (okay crude but the best I could do).

I left the hospital and ended up taking four t3s a couple of days in a row and after being sucked into the underworld during my dreams. - okay that could be a thread in itself.I stopped taking anymore and just dealt with things. It has only been the last three nights that I have actually slept.

I saw the surgeon on Monday and looked over the x-rays. I broke the femur in the outside knuckle. Don't know if you can see that on the shots or not.

He said it is one that would be operated on right away but as I don't weight bare they were going to leave it alone to heal. At least I saw where it was so I can take care when I have to transfer especially on the right.

Now here is a big problem. My Eyesight is screwed up. I have letters that disappear. I told the surgeon this and he said well side effects from the trauma will go away.

I am very fortunate to have good relations with the doc in charge of the sci rehab. in fact he was trying to get a hold of me to ask if I would do a question answer period with the second year med students - which I did the next day with 165 students.
    I was in his office after the surgeon and told him of my sight and he said - did you have a real good headache last Monday night. yes. well we need to get you with the hospitals ophthalmologist. I believe you had a spike in your blood pressure and have damaged your retina. So I will be in there next week sometime.
    It is a real pain trying to read or write.

It is so important to maintain a good relationship with these people. I have been asked to speak at the sci education week in the rehab center since I left there Dec 2005.
    Now I will get to add to my talk - oh joy not the way to do it.

Geoffrey
    Attachment 32124

Attachment 32125

I am wishing all the best for you. I hope you heal fast and the vision problem self corrects or is taken care of too.

Quote Originally Posted by SymKat View Post
    I am wishing all the best for you. I hope you heal fast and the vision problem self corrects or is taken care of too.
    Thanks very much. It really is a pain. I am doing my second year of an Executive MBA and I am already two weeks behind. So the sooner the better to heal.
    I have looked into a software program than scans then talks - Scan N Talk. I think I better pay for it and get one to me fast. If I order on Monday I will have it by Friday. Small price compaired to the cost of my tuition.

Thanks and I will let you know what the Eye Doc says.
    Geoffrey

It's not just Canada. I live in the US with private payer coverage. I've had 7 (yes that's SEVEN) fractures of the long bones of my legs. In all but the first instance, I've been DXed by Xray and sent home with an immobilizer until I could see my own ortho. I drove myself to and from the hospital on every occasion except my first.

My personal feeling is that it is more about our non-weight bearing status and lack of or altered sensation. We're zebras among the thoroughbreds in the ER. We're non-standard. I've been told more than once in the ER that "since I don't use them anyhow AND since they're such a PITA," I should just amputate my legs. Some people don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    If this is indicative of how the Canadian national health service treats a femoral fracture in someone who is spinal cord injured, then I think we should all be very concerned of single-payer, government controlled health care. To let someone drive home after such an injury and not keep you under observation to determine stability to me seems obviously questionable.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

thanks tahoemnts.

Hey JenJen - I told him that I do weight bear everyday for at least an hour in my strap stand. He said you will not be able to for a while. I said I don't have a problem with that provided it heals so I can continue to do it without breaking it again.

I think it went in one ear and out the other. Thank God I have a great relation with the Doc that is in charge of rehab.

Geoffrey

I hope all goes well. Careful. Those long bones are easy to stress.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/