Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trackball apparently died

trackball apparently died

Just a quick note - apparently, my trackball (Kensington Expert Mouse 5.0 in PS/2 port of my Abit KX7-333 motherboard) has died. It's no longer found during reboot. Cables are tight, software drivers installed, etc. Without a mouse pointer, web browsing is near impossible, which is why I haven't posted for the past few days. Keyboard browsing is hell.

Kensington is sending a replacement (good support), but it will take at least a week. I'm going to look into a cheap mouse in the mean time - don't know if OS/2 will work with a cheap trackball.

I hate computers. Pains in the butt, they are.

Try downloading software and drivers again.

http://www.kensington.com/support/sup_1170.html

PN

My condolences...

Yeah, computers are a pain in the ass, but without mine I'd be completely useless. I can only sympathize with what you're going through right now.

Can't they overnight a loaner to you?

computers...

Alan...

Now that I am excited to be computer shopping, you tell me you hate 'em! Don't burst my bubble! Sorry you are having such a time with yours! I know what NOT to buy! LOL!

Take care...

Teena

touchpad keyboard way better than trackball

I am a c-5, c-6 quad and i hated when i was in rehab and they were letting me experiment with differnt trackballs to find which one i wanted i figuired there had to be a better way thn i tried a touc h pad keyboard and it was great all i do is put my thumb on it and move it up and down and to click on something all you do is lighty tap the touchpad alan heres the web site its the 2ed one down hope you enjoy it itsabout $160 znd well worth it

http://www.esis.com.au/Adv3Acc/Adv3Acc_Keyb.htm

whenever you get your trackball back be sure to regularly maintain. i'd be useless without one. it's amazing what you'll find inside one after a couple of months. enough fuzzy stuff to knit a sweater. the ball is exposed to the skin oils on the finger and this is a dirt magnet. the internal cradle rollers get completely tangled in the stuff. the ball should be degreased with soap and water, blow out the insides with compressed air. use care in reassembly. i've gotten so used to mouse systems trackball II i bought all i could before they were discontinued. they do require maintenance and don't last forever though.

I love the Expert Mouse trackball, and can't wait for the replacement to arrive. A friend picked up a cheap Logitech for me, and it's working with os/2 fine, but the ball is so darn small!

Just an update - got my replacement Kensington today. All is well with the computer, well, except for my Exabyte 8505 tape backup that died.

Always something with you, isn't it?

Alan,

I use Logitech trackball-never had problems

Maybe you could try--its very inexpencive

==============================
    "With every scientific advance, we grow closer to unlocking the mysteries of life and creation. But what have we gained if in the process, we lose our humanity. The most powerful thing we pass along to our children may not reside in the genes, but in the soul."
    The Outer Limits(Criminal Nature)