Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turnable passanger seat for transfers

turnable passanger seat for transfers

This may be a dumb question....but here goes. I have a 2008 Ford Escape hybrid that I love driving. My husband, Al, Asia B, C-6 incomplete 1 year post is now learning how to transfer with a transfer board. Our goal is to be able to transfer him into a regular car for travel (rather than our un-reliable power wheelchair van with lift system. We hope to get a light-weight wheelchair in the future for him to throw in the back of the Escape. I know there are seats that can be installed for easier transferring....just don't know what they are called and where to get them. Also....is it possible to transfer into regular seat without this special seat? Very uninformed about these things.
    Thanks,
    Brenda
    Brenda

Bruno Turney is one swivel seat. I'm considering one for my wife's FJ.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7 Quad View Post
    Bruno Turney is one swivel seat. I'm considering one for my wife's FJ.
    Thanks....I'll try to find out more about it. Brenda
    Brenda

Also consider leather (real leather) seats. They make it very easy to pivot around on your butt to get into and out of the car for transfers.

I would be very careful about using any of the add-on pivot seats as many of them would put his skin significantly at risk. Examples of these include these two:

or this one:

There are also swing-out transfer seats like this one:

For long car rides, we recommend sitting on the wheelchair cushion or similar cushion in the vehicle.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 09-17-2009 at 08:11 PM.

Get a shorter car. It'll make the transfer issue easier w/o any modifications.

Thanks for all the information. Afer seeing the pricing on the Bruno Turney TAS, I think we will not be getting those.
    Brenda
    Brenda

Any adaptive equipment will be expensive. That's how the industry is. My injury is C6 & I can transfer into most cars w/o anything fancier than a transfer board (http://accessibledesigns.com/boards.htm). If I were in your position, I'd put your love for your Escape aside, sell it, and find something that your husband can get into easily. No offense, but in this case his needs should take priority over your desires.

[QUOTE=Brenda;1097549] Also....is it possible to transfer into regular seat without this special seat? Very uninformed about these things.
    Thanks,
    Brenda[/QUOTE
    If he can do a slide board transfer, he should be able to transfer into many cars with no difficulty at all. The important things are that you have a car where the seat provides a pretty level transfer, and a door that opens wide enough to get the chair into position. Leather seats make it much easier, but at first, before I bought my car, my mom made a seat cover of ripstop nylon, and that helped. The fabric seats make it hard to maneuver once your bum hits the seat.

The ford escape looks pretty high. An uphill transfer either needs a LOT of help, or some upper body strength that at his level I think will be an issue.

A different car, and you guys should be good to go.

There are some car transfer videos around here. You should be able to find them with the search.
    Last edited by sjean423; 09-18-2009 at 01:05 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

If your husband drives maybe you could stick a few bucks in the unreliable van and use both of them. Even if he doesn't drive, the van may still be the easiest and best for him.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Due to the high cost of ammunition there will be no warning shot!

[QUOTE=sjean423;1097894]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
    Also....is it possible to transfer into regular seat without this special seat? Very uninformed about these things.
    Thanks,
    Brenda[/QUOTE
    If he can do a slide board transfer, he should be able to transfer into many cars with no difficulty at all. The important things are that you have a car where the seat provides a pretty level transfer, and a door that opens wide enough to get the chair into position. Leather seats make it much easier, but at first, before I bought my car, my mom made a seat cover of ripstop nylon, and that helped. The fabric seats make it hard to maneuver once your bum hits the seat.

The ford escape looks pretty high. An uphill transfer either needs a LOT of help, or some upper body strength that at his level I think will be an issue.

A different car, and you guys should be good to go.

There are some car transfer videos around here. You should be able to find them with the search.
    Thanks...I think the Escape will be do-able. The seats are lower than most people think....and his power chair elevates. (even though we would take a manual chair in the trunk) My seats are leather...also....so I think we will be able to do it eventually. The van works fine....but I think he would feel more "normal" and I would like him to be able to ride in the front with me. thanks for your suggestions.
    Brenda
    Brenda