Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Computers:Q&A

I still like using DOS...LOL

I have been building and using computers since the late 80s and still cannot get the hang of this damnable windows!!! Gimme DOS, any old version of DOS, PLEASE!! At least I can write batch and command files with it. Ever tried searching for a file with a common extension? ARRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!! And conflicts with existing programs!?!?!?

"And so it begins."

Searching for Files....

You mean you can search for files....?!!! Hmmmmm
    It would really impress me if you could get my little black laptop to WASH MY WINDOWS! Now, that would be something....

TD I totally understand u, I HATE WINDOWS from the begining. I use it, have XP but HATE IT. IMO DOS was the best, simple, real, u wotrked it your way and so on. OTOH Windows, everything is when they want it, how they want it and with whatever it wants it

Me.

Would a handsome window-washer screen saver work?

Originally posted by Mary:

You mean you can search for files....?!!! Hmmmmm
    It would really impress me if you could get my little black laptop to WASH MY WINDOWS! Now, that would be something....
    I am sure there must be something like that out on the net. Or do you prefer the "plumber's butt" look?

"And so it begins."

For the DOS lovers

You must be long-term (pre-bastardized, corporate Internet) computer users. Do you remember Telix? What were some of your favorite DOS programs?

-Steven

Plumbers Butts

TD-

I most certainly need a new screen saver since the current one is a picture of myself that I swear this demonic beast refuses to let go of...
    I am really not that narcisistic! I don't have any idea how I put it there...

And as far as the butts go...3 years of Nursing school...please no more butts....the techs do that...well maybe just this once...

Originally posted by Steven Edwards:

You must be long-term (pre-bastardized, corporate Internet) computer users. Do you remember Telix? What were some of your favorite DOS programs?

-Steven
    Ok, All you DOS lovers are just disgruntled computer geeks, upset that anyone with a little intelligence can now use a computer right out of the box.

Yeah, I remember DOS, a sad excuse for a user-interface where you needed to know a million commands to simply log on to a BBS. Ugly monochrome displays, or 16 colors if you were lucky; screwing with the autoexec.bat and config.sys files just to get a game to run AND have sound. Sure, you may have had more 'control' over your computer...and you may have been in an elite crowd of geeks who actually understood what an REM line was, but you damn sure weren't very productive compared to current computer users, at least if you were an artist like myself. God forbid someone like Xerox comes along and tries to make computers 'user-friendly' by creating a graphical-user-interface (GUI - pronounced 'gooey'). And how dare Steve Jobs swipe that idea and create the Macintosh, which would in turn be swiped by Bill Gates to create the lesser, but better marketed, Windows. God forbid computer geeks everywhere would lose their status as computer gurus when everybody and their brother could use their computer.

This is tongue-in-cheek, with a little real cynicism towards 'DOS-lovers' thrown in for spice. Hey, I was banging away on keyboards back in the day, everything from the Atari 400, to the Commadore 64, to the Tandy TRS-80 and the Apple II. But the mouse & GUI were the best additions to the PC since the hard disk, and I welcomed them with open arms. And for us quads, the mouse (or trackball) and GUI allows us to create in ways never imagineable. You can keep you "CD\..", I'lltake my flashy, personalizeable graphics, and point & click icons. Face it, from one computer geek to another, computers were never meant to stay in the geek's sandbox--you need to find a new badge of honor. Try being an IT and raking in mad money when the next Windows or Mac machine crashes beyond hope for the non-geeks. The triumph of the nerds does not rely on DOS, or UNIX or ASCII modem terminals with X-Modem compression and 'screaming' 2400 baud data-transfer speeds.

~Rus

"Life's a bitch, but I love her."

[This message was edited by Scorpion on Mar 11, 2002 at 08:43 PM.]

Hewlett-Packard Alert

If you own an HP printer, you may want to call Hewlett-Packard because they are doing a recall of the power cord. I just called them and they are sending me a new cord UPS, and they have asked me to send the old one back. Also, I was told to unplug my printer because these cords are faulty and they can result in electric shock or even fire. The toll-free number is 1-800-752-0900.

I also remember DOS, the bulletin boards, etc. My first game was Leisure Suit Larry, the Lounge Lizard. Does anyone remember this game? I also rely heavily on voice recognition and I am glad to know that the technology doubles every eighteen months.

PN

Don't get me wrong...

I know you 'DOS' types are much more left-brained than I am. And as a car-guy, I missed being able to figure out engine stuff without computers & wires getting in the way, so I knid of know where you're coming from. I just think some of you guys are holding on to something that's not needed anymore. I don't mean DOS; rather the staus and ego-boost that came from knowing the difference from RAM and ROM or knowing a bit from a byte.

My favorite DOS programs were always the games...Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein 3D, DOOM!

~Rus

"Life's a bitch, but I love her."

I used Qmodem, under plain dos. I did a lot of bbs calling. Eventually, some of the sysops conned me into starting my own board (of course, theirs are long dead, while mine is still up. Only dialup, and comatose, but alive. Then, they got me into Desqview, and finally OS/2, and I still don't understand most of this stuff! Almost all my dos programs still work under OS/2's dos emulation.

I've tried to keep Monopolysoft off my computer, but I see a Windows partition in my future.