Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why test rats, when we should test primates?

Why test rats, when we should test primates?

I'm not a scientist nor a dumb ass either, but I notice several differences b/w a rat and a human. Why don't we test primates, seeing that they are more similar to humans than a rat. I know this wouldn't fly in the U.S b/c of all the animal rights, so why not take it overseas. I imagine it would take a serious lab, but I think it can be done and would prove to be more beneficial than testing therpies in rats.
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

From a 2007 post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Over 90% of spinal cord injury experiments are in rodents (rats or mice). You clearly have never seen a spinal-injured monkey or taken care of one. They not only know that they have been spinal-injured but they know who did it. If given the choice of giving an experimental therapy to a monkey and a human, I would do the latter first, unless there is a very strong safety or other reasons why it must be done first in monkeys. Monkey experiments are not only as expensive as human cinical trials but there are no reliable monkey spinal cord injury models. Very few labs have the capability of causing spinal cord injury in a dozen or more monkeys and take care of them.

The cat spinal cord is fairly similar to the human in terms of anatomy. The rhesus monkey spinal cord is about the same size as that of the cat. All my methylprednisolone experiments were done with cats in the early 1980's. It was very difficult series of experiments because I am a cat person. In 1987, when the USDA (US Department of Agriculture) changed the rules of animal care so that all animals must be raised from birth for laboratory experimentation and the price of cats went from $60 to $400, I focused on the development of the rat spinal cord injury model.

The contusion model in the rat has many of the features of spinal cord injury in humans. You get syrinxes, demyelination, neuropathic pain, spasticity, bladder spasticity, spasms, and other manifestation of spinal cord injury in humans. After a 25 mm weight drop, most of the rats essentially become ASIA C but are 90% are unable to take weight-bearing steps. After a 12.5 mm weight drop, about 50% of the rats recover walking (BBB score of 13-15). A 50 mm weight drop results in 100% of the rats being unable to walk. Hamsters are relatively rare used for spinal cord injury. About 10% of animal spinal cord injuries are in mice.
    I hope this helps answer your question.

Steven
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Steven, thanks.

Donnie, let me add a small Economics of Spinal Cord Injury 101 talk.

Typical costs of running a spinal cord injury laboratory. Typical spinal cord injury grants that one can get from private foundations or companies are $50,000-$250,000 over a 1-3 year period. From the NIH, grants are bigger at $500,000-$1,000,000 over a 3-5 year period. A budget of $250,000 per year can support 50% of a faculty investigator, a postdoctoral fellow, a graduate student, and a technician. A well-funded principal investigator may have a laboratory budget of about $500,000 per year.

Cost of rat experiments. Excluding personnel and equipment costs, it costs about $1000 per rat spinal cord injury experiment. Purchasing, preparing, and caring of a spinal-injured rat for 3 months is about $500. Histology (sectioning and staining) and other analyses of the rats cost over $300 per rat. Combined with other costs, such as isolating, growing, preparing cells for treatment etc., it adds up to over $1000 per rat. If you do 100 rats per year, the costs are over $100,000 per year. Assuming that it takes 50 rats to test a therapy, one can test perhaps two therapies a year.

Cost of monkey experiments. Purchase of monkeys are about $10,000 each, if you can get them. Cost of caring for monkeys exceed $10/day per monkey. Since regeneration and everything else is slower in monkeys, the equivalent 3-month experiment in rats must be increased to about a year in monkeys. So, for the same $100,000 budget that allows you to study 100 rats per year, you can study 5 monkeys a year.

Monkey spinal cord injury facilities. There are only about a dozen primate facilities in the United States. To do monkey work, you have to travel to the facility. More important, very few investigators have any experience operating on or caring for monkeys. By the way, it is not easy to care for spinal-injured monkeys (can you imagine squeezing their bladders daily?). Most monkey spinal cord injury studies have used hemisections, i.e. incomplete spinal cord injury models.

So, if you are an investigator and want to test a therapy that you think will regenerate the spinal cord, which would you choose? Rat or monkey? Not surprisingly, very few choose monkeys. Over the past three decades, I know of only three laboratories (Mark Tuszynsky in UCSD, Almudena Ramon-Cueto in Spain, and the Miami Project) that have taken the time and the considerable effort to learn and do spinal cord injury experiments in monkeys. Others may have done so but they don't come readily to mind.

Wise.

Thanks for the responses. Even though it seems more expensive and complex I still think the therapies would yield better results. I have a hard time seeing how to bridge a gap and get axons to grow in a rat(maybe a mm or two) vs a human(a foot or maybe longer). I would also think that a monkey has a brain more similar to ours than that of a rat.. Just my opinion. Also, we've studied rats for countless years and produced how many therapies for SCI's in humans? Not saying we should stop testing rats but maybe try the same therapies on monkeys.. That's if the funding is provided. Post script: not trying to take anything from the scientists testing rats or anything for that matter. Anyone trying to eradicate a disease or cure it is a friend of mine.
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

It is evident that monkeys are more similar to humans than rats are but that should not disguise the fact that at the fundamental, cell biology level, rats and humas are very, very similar.

borgens uses dogs. they're cheaper and easier to care for and their injury response seems to mimic our own.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity View Post
    borgens uses dogs. they're cheaper and easier to care for and their injury response seems to mimic our own.
    Antiquity,

Borgens uses dogs but these are "naturally" injured dogs, hit by cars, etc. He is essentially doing clinical trials on these dogs that are admitted to the veterinary hospital. I really admire that and think that it is a great approach.

At one point, I seriously considered going to UC Irvine when Joan Irvine-Smith suggested that she would fly every spinal-injured horse there for treatment (instead of shooting them). Wouldn't that be great?

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Antiquity,

Borgens uses dogs but these are "naturally" injured dogs, hit by cars, etc. He is essentially doing clinical trials on these dogs that are admitted to the veterinary hospital. I really admire that and think that it is a great approach.

At one point, I seriously considered going to UC Irvine when Joan Irvine-Smith suggested that she would fly every spinal-injured horse there for treatment (instead of shooting them). Wouldn't that be great?

Wise.
    I know. I hope no one assumed that he was injuring healthy dogs. I mentioned dogs as they are a large animal alternative to primates but are easier to care for.

The Center for Paralysis Research was founded to both develop and test new methods of treatment for spinal cord, brain injuries, and certain diseases of the nervous system. The Center utilizes its close affiliation with the Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine to move basic laboratory methods into clinically meaningful veterinary testing with naturally occurring cases of dog spinal cord injuries and paralyzing diseases. These clinical trials have proven to speed development of therapies to the next step, human clinical trials.
    http://www.vet.purdue.edu/cpr/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Antiquity,

Wise.
    As a horse fan I agree...Tufts in Ma. Thoroughbred rescue soooo in need.

Join Our Mailing List!

Follow Us on Twitter

Friend Us on Facebook

CANTER Horses
    Available for Adoption

Please Note: We recently had a data loss and are rebuilding the site; not all of the images and links are fixed. Please bear with us as we correct the problem.
    Please click on, and please read!, our =>Adoption Guidelines<=
    Click here to fill out the online form to become an approved CANTER adopter
    Click here for a printable version of the adoption approval form (Word doc) or here for PDF format**Only approved adopters may make appointments to see CANTER-owned horses**
    Click here if you are interested in fostering (instead of adopting).
    PLEASE NOTE: Due to our desire to monitor adoptive placements, we do not generally adopt our horses to homes outside the New England/New York area. (Exceptions may be made based on circumstances, but these are not the norm!)

If you are interested in adopting and live outside our area, please consider applying to adopt through another CANTER affiliate that is closer to you.

Due to the number of horses needing our help on an ongoing basis, we cannot "hold" horses for prospective adopters; the first approved adopter who is deemed a suitable match for a particular horse, and completes the adoption process, has the option to adopt that horse.
    Please read the guidelines for more information.
    Can't Adopt or Buy Right Now?

</I>In addition to the available horses on this page, we have several other horses in care who are not yet ready to go up for adoption, as they recover from injuries and are evaluated to determine their best possible future careers...they would love it if you'd be their sponsor!

Click HERE to meet our horses looking for sponsors.

AVAILABLE ADOPTIVE HORSES
    UPDATED 8/4/09

Questions about adopting a horse through CANTER NE? Please let us know.
    T09-2670-06. TRAINER-OWNED FILLY
    Bay, 15 hands, 3 years old
    "Great Answer" is too, too cute...she looks like a TB someone stuck in the dryer. The track vet actually flagged the CANTER volunteers down to rave about this filly...a pretty great endorsement! Despite her stature (she is still growing), she is long-legged and very elegant. Dancer is another "love me, pet me, hug me" horse who has an A+ personality and will make an outstanding retraining project - could even make a pony club/kid's show pony with her build and temperament. She has a small tear in one tendon, but while she's still a little tender on it, it's very slight and should heal beautifully with some time off. She will be ready for small turnout in the beginning of September, then will start back under saddle.

Click Here to Become an Approved Adopter

Adoption Pending</STRONG>

C06-2142-09. CANTER-OWNED MARE, Bay, 16 hands, 6 years old

They don't come any cuter than "Miss Janyne"! This very feminine, sociable mare has the type of calm intelligence that will lead to a lifetime partnership in the saddle with the right person.
    Janyne was returned to our program after her original adopter could no longer keep her. She is a lovely mover who particularly shines in the arena, and has a fluid w/t/c. Janyne is still somewhat green, and is not suitable for a true beginner - she is best for an advanced rider, or for an intermediate rider working with a professional trainer.

Janyne has had a single, set knee chip since she was 2 (X-rays show it does not affect the joint, and it has never bothered her), so she is not a jumping prospect - but she goes beautifully on the flat!

Janyne is attractive, correct and has an excellent temperament..."one in a million," in the words of her foster mom.

ADOPTION PENDING

C06-2300-06. CANTER-OWNED GELDING,
    Bright chestnut with chrome, 16.1 hands with a stocky build, 7 years old

"Quindaro," aka "Quin," has been off the track for 3 years and is about as relaxed and amenable a gentleman as you'll meet - he was that way even while racing! Quin was donated to CANTER NE after bowing a tendon in race training. The bow has long since been cold, set, and tight, and does not impede his soundness.Quin was recently (and regretfully) returned to CANTER NE by his adopter, who adored him but had to part with him due to financial constraints. He has spent the past few months in foster care at a nearby lesson/show barn, where he is the apple of the students' eyes and has impressed everyone with his no-fuss approach to learning new things.

Quin is particularly enjoying low-level jumping. He is best suited for an intermediate to advanced rider, as he is still a little green, but he should continue to progress into a wonderful show or pleasure horse. He'd be a great choice for really any discipline!

Quindaro's adoption fee is $500. Approved adopters can meet him at his foster home west of Boston, MA.
    CLICK HERE TO FILL OUT AN ADOPTION APPLICATION (Note: You cannot make an appointment to see any CANTER-owned horse until you are approved as an adopter. Filling out the application creates no obligation to adopt, but it is a pre-requisite.)

Jill Has Been Adopted!
    C04-1911-09. CANTER-OWNED MARE,
    Bay, 17 hands, 10 years old

"Fossie's Jill" is one of those wonderful TBs who was a perfect lady from the day we met her at the track. Jill retired sound from Suffolk Downs more than 4 years ago; she tried her hardest, but finished last or next to last in nearly every race.

Jill was recently returned to us by her heartbroken adopter, who reluctantly had to give her up due to personal circumstances. Despite the upheaval of leaving her home of 4 years, Jill has settled in nicely with her new foster mom. She loves people, and is so grateful for a kind word and some pats and scratches! Jill does tend to be the alpha mare with other horses, but does well with good-natured company.

Jill is a lovely mover with lots of suspension; she has schooled regularly in the ring - even with younger students aboard! - and trail rides very well in a group (she has not been trail ridden alone). She does need a capable but patient rider, as she can become nervous when she loses confidence and needs firm but understanding reassurance. She is sensitive to the seat and once she builds a rapport with her rider, she will relax and do anything for them.

Jill is sound and will make an outstanding show or pleasure horse, but is not able to be bred: she lost a very large foal two years ago and required surgery to heal the damage to her birth canal, and the vets have decreed a future pregnancy to be too risky. She is a favorite of the volunteers and we'd love to see her find her forever home!

A Gentle Soul (in a Big, Solid Body) Who Adores Children

C07-2417-11. CANTER-OWNED GELDING, </SPAN></B>Bay, 16 hands with a BIG build, 8 years old

Levelheaded, dependable, hardworking, and honest...all terms that describe the handsome, immensely likeable "Mumbles"! Despite his funny name, this barrel-chested gelding is very dignified and debonair. His enviable work ethic helped him earn more than $100,000 on the track, and he did it all the hard way, giving his best each time! Mumbles' trainer decided to donate him to us at the end of his racing days, recognizing that the good ol' boy was slowing down and wanting to ensure him a good retirement while he was healthy and able to pick up a new job.

Mumbles demonstrated perfect manners the day we met him at the track, and he has continued to exhibit a sense of etiquette that would make Emily Post proud. (He does crib and will need to wear a Miracle Collar in his stall, but he is very cooperative). He has enlargement in both front ankles, and is not a high-level jumping candidate; but he shows real smarts and a desire to please under saddle, and would love to be someone's flatwork/pleasure horse.

Mumbles has demonstrated a special affinity for children - he's already excellent and levelheaded under saddle, and with continued time and training, he would be the perfect family mount!

Mumbles' adoption fee is $400. Approved adopters can meet him at his foster home north of Boston, MA.

CLICK HERE TO FILL OUT AN ADOPTION APPLICATION (Note: You cannot make an appointment to see any CANTER-owned horse until you are approved as an adopter. Filling out the application creates no obligation to adopt, but it is a pre-requisite.)
    One Amazing, Well-Loved Horse: LOOK at that Stride!

C08-2533-09. CANTER-OWNED GELDING, Dark bay, 15.3 hands, 5 years old

"Crescent's Joker" is a beautiful, superbly built gelding who means a tremendous deal to his owners: they bred him and have been with him throughout his life. Joker's owners have donated him to CANTER to ensure that he finds a loving, forever home where he can excel in a new career!

Joker has made a full recovery from a small sesamoid fracture and has started back under saddle. His foster home reports that "he is totally unconcerned" about being under saddle.

Joker is a really nice youngster and should do great things in whatever job he takes on next. He will have no problem with any flatwork discipline, and may be able to pop over crossrails and do small hunter courses, as well.

Joker's adoption fee is $450. Approved adopters can meet him at his foster home in New Hampshire.

CLICK HERE TO FILL OUT AN ADOPTION APPLICATION
    (Note: You cannot make an appointment to see any CANTER-owned horse until you are approved as an adopter. Filling out the application creates no obligation to adopt, but it is a pre-requisite.)
    An Incredible Mare with an Incredible Story

C07-2418-05. CANTER-OWNED MARE, Chestnut, 16.2 hands, 21 years old

If you have already heard the incredible story of "Patience"...you know what a one-in-a-million mare this beautiful, courageous girl is. If you have not yet read about her journey and inspiring display of an unflagging will to live, please click here to learn more.

Just over a year after her chances of survival appeared grim, Patience looks and feels great! Her wounds have healed, her attitude is excellent, and though her back is a little swayed and she can need a little extra time to shake off the stiffness first thing in the morning (like many of us in the winter!)...she clearly believes she is 2, not 21!

Patience has spent her entire life as a racehorse and then a broodmare. She will be a noble and majestic companion to graze your pastures in her golden years. She is a natural as a babysitter, and gets along with virtually any type of horse!

After everything she's endured, Patience has more than earned a loving, appreciative, gentle home as a pasture pet. If that home is yours...please get in touch...she'd love to meet you!

Patience's adoption fee is $1 to a very special home! Approved adopters can see her at her foster home in Maine. CLICK HERE TO FILL OUT AN ADOPTION APPLICATION (Note: You cannot make an appointment to see any CANTER-owned horse until you are approved as an adopter. Filling out the application creates no obligation to adopt, but it is a pre-requisite.)
    C07-2234-05. TRAINER-OWNED MARE,
    Solid chestnut, 16.1 hands, 13 years old

"All Net Joe" has a boy's name - but she's all girl! This horse is a fantastic find for the TB-knowledgeable rider looking for an intelligent and graceful mount. She is gorgeous, with a lovely dished face, elegant head, and muscular, powerful build.

"Josie" has been a broodmare for the past few years and has a star-studded pedigree (she was also a standout racehorse herself!) Please note that while she may be bred for sporthorse purposes, under the terms of CANTER's adoption agreement, Josie cannot be bred for racing.

She would also make a very flashy riding/show horse (she has some minor knee enlargement from her racing days, and is not suitable for high-level jumping or eventing - but would be a superb choice for dressage, equitation, and more!). And she is at the perfect age to start retraining: mature and unflappable, with many years of showing still ahead of her.

Josie has just started under-saddle training, and is proving to be a wonderful pupil! She is sound and in excellent shape, a great mover with lots of scope and a superb brain. No vices, loves attention - an all-around classy mare.

NEW Photos - Spring 2009!

Netty's adoption fee is $350. Approved adopters can see her at her foster home in New Hampshire.

(Note: You cannot make an appointment to see any CANTER-owned horse until you are approved as an adopter. Filling out the application creates no obligation to adopt, but it is a pre-requisite.)

C09-2639-02. </B>CANTER-OWNED GELDING, </STRONG>Dark bay, 16 hands (and still growing!), 4 years old

"Power Player," aka "Pip," came off the track just after the start of the 2008 racing meet. His racing career was ended abruptly by a sesamoid fracture, but he's now made a full recovery - and according to his foster dad, is going to be "a serious athlete!" Even the vet is crazy about him.

Pip has a cool head and is devastatingly handsome. Everyone at his foster home is quite taken with this striking boy; he has lots of personality, is full of vim and vigor, and though he's just starting out with the basics under saddle, he loves to learn and is an excellent student. He'll be able to do just about anything with the right riding partner!

Pip's adoption fee is $450. Approved adopters can meet him at his foster home north of Boston, MA.

Adoption Pending

C06-2200-11. CANTER-OWNED MARE, </STRONG>Chestnut, 15.3 hands, 6 years old

"Anna La La" is as fun as her name would suggest: this is a friendly, happy, sweet-natured horse! Anna has been off the track for 2 years and has really blossomed in foster care. (Her foster mom ADORES her, was even leaning towards keeping her, but reluctantly decided she has more than enough Suffolk Downs "alums" already!)

Anna's only issue is that her feet can sometimes bug her (she has thin hoof walls), so she will need a good farrier to make sure her hooves are in great shape. However, Anna runs around the pasture like she's aiming for a racing career all over again (we don't have the heart to tell her she wasn't exactly a world beater when she WAS racing), and is looking and feeling great.
    Anna is the alpha mare with other horses, and needs to be turned out alone (alongside another horse over the fenceline), or with a docile pasturemate. She is inquisitive and intelligent. Though she is green under saddle, she should retrain easily as a show or pleasure prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I'm not a scientist nor a dumb ass either, but I notice several differences b/w a rat and a human. Why don't we test primates, seeing that they are more similar to humans than a rat. I know this wouldn't fly in the U.S b/c of all the animal rights, so why not take it overseas. I imagine it would take a serious lab, but I think it can be done and would prove to be more beneficial than testing therpies in rats.

Not sure if I would be comfortable with research being done on non-human primates.
    Last edited by Jim; 09-19-2009 at 07:51 PM.