Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why test rats, when we should test primates?

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    yes this, also using rats and mice is affordable, you can have a larger number of test subjects, and especially with cancer research and stem cell, and genetics, the more rapid lifespan of the rats and mice compared to primates. makes rats and mice better for research.
    Appently, you didn't read my last post.
    Donnie: Dr. Xiao, What are your thoughts on a cure/combination therapy for SCI's??
    CG Xiao: Donnie, I don't want to disappoint you, but I think it is impossible to restore the continuity of the cord or "bridge the gap" in the near future, let's say: 50 years. Dr Wise Young has been my most respected scientist in SCI. He has dedicated and contributed to SCI no other can match.

Quote Originally Posted by KofQ View Post
    Don't rats, dogs, cats and pigs think, feel and suffer?
    Studies show that pigs are highly intelligent, perhaps as smart as primates. They demonstrate similar social behaviors.They just don't look as much like us as primates do.

Moral relativism is a bitch.
    There is no ethical relativism from my side, as I am opposed to the use of ALL animals in medical research. The question of the thread was about primates, and I responded to that question. I'm sure I am in the minority with this stance, but I can live with it and have a clean conscience too. If you haven't read it I can recommend the book 'When Elephants Cry' an excellent exploration into the inner lives of animals.

One other point... the OP and others are assuming the primates SCI model is closer to human than rat or cat... but is that really the case? I can think of several proteins that are just as similar to our own in both rats and primates. On a molecular level, there is not much of an argument for primates over rats.. on an anatomical scale there may be, but as far as I know, there is no proof of that.... nerves grow the same way, just over longer distances.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Appently, you didn't read my last post.
    no I dont see it, but did not see Dr wise had replied as well.
    is there something wrong with my post? if so sorry.