Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hello, I am a C5 Burst Fracture Patient - 6/21/2009

Here... this is probably a more exciting picture than my bionic neck x-ray in my profile avatar:

- K
    C5 Burst Fracture - Motorcycle - June 21st, 2009 - Father's Day.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=124135

Anytime Kendrick! I am glad to hear that you are still getting better every day! Take care of yourself! I will definitely give you a shout if we ever get out to Cali!

CJ'S-MOM
    Elaine

Dear SCI Community,

Last week was 5 months post for me. The xrays show that titanium instrumentation is in place and intact. But that's not the best part.

All my neuropathic buzzing pain is gone as of two weeks ago! I've taken myself off Lyrica. My neurosurgeon was super surprised and in disbelief. Last time I saw him, I was complaining of pain so severe that my fingers felt like they were on fire and that I couldn't hold a pen to take notes in class during the first part of my law school semester. I had to sleep in my car between classes just to get through the day at school. All that is in the past now.

I've spent more time in meditation and a lot of visualization-- right down to the cellular level. I make myself believe in healing, every day. I still don't believe in the new-age stuffs too much but I know it keeps me happier to declare that I will always improve, every day. I've been able to return to the gym and work out at 100% of my previous weights. I've done laps in the pool and got to play some soccer today before Thanksgiving dinner.

I feel extremely fortunate and the way I experience every day is very different now since the accident. I feel like there is no time to waste and that life is too precious. Life tastes so much sweeter now. I was very happy with my life before, but this is ... it's different. I've really been given a second chance.

I'm still on my Celebrex at 200mg a day but giving myself 30-60 days to be med-free. When I forget to take it for a day, my neck feels a little sore like I've been working out too hard. I know that will improve over time.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. Take care!

Sincerely,

Kendrick

Dear SCI Community,

I know I haven't updated in a while but everything has been wonderful. I did end up achieving my goal of no meds in the time frame I wanted-- I got off all medications the week after Christmas. At times, I had horrible pains near the surgical sites but through will power and rationalization, I just kept telling myself that those pains were not real. My bones are growing and I have been repaired-- it's just withdrawal. It worked. I played a round of golf last Friday and felt great.

The only remaining symptoms are occasional periods of soreness in the soft tissues around the back of my neck and some buzzing sensations behind my left shoulder blade. The buzzing sensations occur for 20-30 seconds maybe a couple times a day. I figure hey, I'm getting older and I would have had aches and pains eventually anyway! I don't let it bother me. I am convinced that as I heal more, those pains will go away too.

I wish everyone all the best and continue to cheer for your hard work!

- K
    Last edited by Khatsalano; 04-05-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Hey Khat, I was in your old neighborhood yesterday. Congratulations on the remarkable recovery. Interesting that you mention the survivor guilt. I find it intriguing but totally understandable. I see it at GF. Feel assured that everyone celebrates along with you.

u r very lucky and i wish to god for ur upcoming future....