Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello, I am a C5 Burst Fracture Patient - 6/21/2009

Incredible! Don't forget the gift you were given.

Wow. Great story. You know how incredibly lucky you are. Thanks for taking the time to share and may that great fortune follow you for the rest of your life.

It is not a positive attitude, or will, or wanting it more. We all did, believe me. It is one of those things for which you should just be grateful, enjoy and make the best of your second chance.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Dear SCI Community,

Thank you very much for your support and your comments.

When I first decided to write my story and post it here, I actually had a lot of reservations. In many ways, I feel guilty that I survived and was given a second chance. After a C5 burst fracture and classified ASIA-B, I don't know how I am able to feel and move everything now only a little over three months out. I met many others like me at a SCI rehab center and wondered why I got 'lucky' and others didn't. I am very grateful and I hope that you will all join me in the spirit of never giving up.

Today, is about 15 weeks post for me. I have been given clearance by my doctor to do low-impact activities and non-contact sports. I have stopped physical therapy and have started training on my own. This week, I've been able to go to the gym and swim, lift light weights and do some simulated hills on the reclined bike. It felt awesome.

I'm also up to 15 pushups this week without collapsing. I've been trying to do pushups for a while now and at first, it was painful and I couldn't do anything but lie with my face on the ground, defeated. I felt so weak emotionally too.

But one day, about 5 weeks ago, I could do one. Just a single pushup. It was an amazing feeling. Then I collapsed shortly after! But from then to now, my progression per week was: 1/2/4/12/15 pushups before collapsing onto my face. I'm going to do some more pushups and leg exercises after I finish writing this.

The best part is, I was able to take up again one of my most beloved sports from before my injury-- golf. I went to the driving range and hit a small bucket of balls (50 or so) last weekend and got tired easily, but no pain. This week, I went with some of my golf friends and hit my 9-iron consistently and in some ways, better than before. My friend invited me to hit his driver (I only brought one club to the range to limit my own eager desires to do too much) and I succumbed to the peer pressure. I hit it 250 yards and straight. That's just as good as before! My friends joked that I can hit like that only because I'm cheating-- I have titanium in my golf club and in my neck!

It's not all good news every day. In fact, my leg buzzing has gotten worse at times. I've been switched to Celebrex to help control the scar tissue inflammation around my spinal cord. I didn't sleep for three days and the Celebrex gave me some kind of general anxiety attack. I felt like a race horse was trying to escape out of my body.

I switched back to Tramadol/Lyrica.

On the better days, the buzzing switches to my arms and I can almost hear it-- like a low-frequency melodic hum. Then my whole body vibrates if I bend my neck forward. Sleep seems to help. I always wake up with my body a little quieter with minimal buzzing.

Most of the time, I just ignore the buzzing since it's not painful, only distracting. It used to be discouraging as I wondered if it would be like this forever. Then I decided it would heal. This is just temporary. Meditation has helped ... I'm just a beginner but I'm learning more and more on how to control my thoughts and my body.

Anyways, thank you again for welcoming me and I promise to keep working hard if you promise to keep working hard too!

Sincerely,

Kendrick
    Last edited by Khatsalano; 10-02-2009 at 01:21 AM.
    C5 Burst Fracture - Motorcycle - June 21st, 2009 - Father's Day.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=124135

Wow, as CJ'S MOM I am glad my son's story inspired you to write yours which inspires our family to try harder! I just found your story today. I do not get on CareCure as much as before due to lack of time with taking care of CJ, our own business, and two other boys. I am very glad that your outcome was not as bad as our son's, but I am very grateful that my son's is not as bad as others. I guess that's what has kept me going for almost two years now. I have to remember that there is always someone else out there that has it worse and to be honest there always is. With yours CJ's accident, although amazingly similar injuries, there were some differences, I believe CJ's spinal cord was knicked by a fragment and I do not even know how bad or deep and his c6 burst as well. Your will and determination I am sure, did prove to be a wonderful plus for you and for that be proud! CJ's surgery also did not happen until Sunday morning at appromately 8am and he was injured and brought into the hospital early am on Saturday. I don't know that it made a difference, they gave him the steroids and we just did not know anything about this kind of stuff and trusted in the doctors. Maybe the level of care or knowledge your nuerosurgeon had was better? I have no clue, but I am glad to hear that it has worked out to your benefit. I wouold not wish this kind of accident on even my worst enemy!! Keep up the great work and I hope that things continue to get better. CJ is doing well, he has feeling throughout his whole body still, but cannot move his fingers or from his nipple line down. He does have some good ab control and keeps working hard three days a week at rehab! He cannot straighten his arms completely either and has had some botox injections with series casting done and is about to start another round of that to try to get them closer to straight so he can be more independent with transfers. Right now we do 100% assist. He can feed himself, brush his teeth, wash his face, use his computer, cell phone, drink, and hold his cup. Hopefully he will learn more as time goes by seeings he is only 20. He has stopped feeling so sorry for himself and has many supportive friends who take him out and hang out with him to this day! You are an inspiration and when he gets home today I am going to let him read your story! My husband and I ride a Harley and are avid riders. Before CJ's accident we never wore a helmet, in fact most of the guys and girls in our motorcycle club didn't, but after his wreck, even though it was not on a bike, we changed that! We always ride as safe as we can! God was watching over you that day Kendrick and you are blessed. If you ever get to texas, look us up! Good luck and take care! Never be afraid to share your stories with us here!

CJ'S-MOM
    ELAINE

just one question? Do you think you will ride a motorcycle again?

I was going to ask that but thought it might be a tad nosey! LOL!!

Elaine, We can always wondering of what if ....
    My son got injuried on July 2008 from diving accident near Camp Pendleton. The accident occured around 1 pm and he had surgery the same day. He is C6/7 and he has not have any motor function back.
    He continues to work hard each day. His biceps are very strong. He has some triceps but still very weak. He can transfer himself with little assistance. My son is 22 y.o.
    Good luck to CJ and your family.

Timo,
    Thanks and I agree! Hard work is the key! We are aiming for anything and EVERYTHING!!! Good luck to you and yours as well!

your very lucky, i dint quite read to see how long you were under full quadripegia,
    i think one year as a vent dependent quad, or one year as a high quad would be sufficent to really understand it.
    you received what many people here wish they got
    " 1 do over"
    wouldnt be a good idea to ride a motorcycle again, or put yourself in jeopordy , Vespas only
    cauda equina

Quote Originally Posted by CJ'S-MOM View Post
    I was going to ask that but thought it might be a tad nosey! LOL!!
    I am happy to answer that question. The bike was sold almost immediately afterwards! I plan to never get back on.

It was fun but not worth dying for kind of fun. And I can't do that to my family and my friends again. It was a mistake (for me) to get into motorcycling from the beginning. I actually only got into it because a friend got into it-- I never really liked bikes so in a way it's a sore point for me. I always wonder, if I got this injury doing something I loved, like skiing, would I be less angry at myself?

It's 4 months post tonight and I've given up on most of the anger and regret and look forward to increasing strength every day. Today I walked 20 minutes in the city of San Francisco's hilly NOPA neighborhood near law school and I had only minimal buzzing.

Celebrex has been the likely contributor to keeping the buzzing in my arms and legs down. My NS's theory and I agree, is that there is scar tissue forming around the cavity left behind by the complete C5 corpectomy. That scar tissue is touching and agitating the spinal cord. So with a powerful anti-inflammatory like Celebrex, the scar tissue may physically be less in contact with the spinal cord. The downside though, is: I don't sleep much. Celebrex insomnia and general chest tightness are the side effect symptoms I have to trade with to reduce the buzzing.

I am up to 21 pushups this week and the 20 minute walk was a new record. Life is getting better every day. I can't complain! Thank you, everyone, for your support. Let's all keep working hard together, every day.

- Kendrick

PS: Elaine, thank you for your kind comments and the open invitation. Please do send me a message the next time you and your family visit San Francisco as well.
    Last edited by Khatsalano; 10-22-2009 at 12:02 AM.
    C5 Burst Fracture - Motorcycle - June 21st, 2009 - Father's Day.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=124135