Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do spiders create such dread in some people?

Have yall ever seen anyone bitten by a black widow? It is very painful and scars badly.

In my opinion, I would rather suffer a dog or cat bite any day as opposed to the effects of the venom of a black widow. Not that the bite is not painful or causes scars, but the healing phases of a black widow bite is nasty and one of my friends lost quite a bit of muscle from her forearm because of a black widow bite.

Anyway, I think that is part of my fear maybe. It is not just specific to spiders but scorpions and other things with many legs just bother me for some reason.

I love dragonflies, butterflies, and most other crawly/flying things. Lizards and alligators (I had to hold a baby one on a dare from my daughter when she was 8 and yes she was braver than me) fall into this category as well.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing View Post
    Spiders are NOT insects. Those are two separate classes of animals (insecta and arachnida) that fall under the phylum arthropoda. They're even under different subphylums.

Sorry, that's just one of my pet peeves. As to the actual point of your question, my current working theory is that spiders and bugs are about the most different form of life as compared to humans that exists on this planet. They are so entirely "other" that it provokes an overreaction of our natural instinct to be protective of our own and to be wary of that which is different.

And obviously not everyone is afraid of spiders. Many cultures view them in very high regard.

Spider Brings Fire to the People

C.
    Tiger,

You are right of course. A spider is not an insect. I was thinking about insects, looked for an illustration, and came across this picture where a spider is crawling on a girl's face.

I was thinking about my dislike of being bit by insects, that is disproportionately greater than the harm of being bitten. Aside from the disease-causing potential of mosquitos and ticks, it is the thought of being food for insects that drives me indoors and away from places where I would be eaten by them. Spiders don't bother me as much, particularly tarantulas. However, many people are very squeamish about cockroaches and flies, even though these insects don't "bite".

I wonder why mosquitos don't evolve a bite that does not cause inflammation and itching. After all, if the mosquito takes blood from you and it does not hurt or cause any discomfort, humans are less likely to take measures to kill them or avoid them. Likewise, if flies don't have the stupid habit of buzzing around your head and just concentrate of taking snippets of your food, perhaps we wouldn't go to so much troubel to swat them and kill them. It seem counter-evolutionary.

Maybe if spider evolved to be more cute, they will not be killed as much by humans. They are actually wonderfully cool creatures and are very useful to humans because they kill the insects that eat and infect us.

Wise.

anybody hear about the guy in cali who got bite by a brown "reculse" i don't know how it's spelled but he was a para for 20 years shortly after being bitten he started get feeling back and is now able to walk again.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

i never had a problem with spiders until my older brother took the legs of a daddy long-legger and threw them in my hair while they were still twitching. that did it for me. the way they move is freaky and i don't like knowing they're in a room and left there because just the thought that they might crawl on me is horrible. they're fine outside and if i find them there, it's no big deal, but i hate that most times i find them because they're inches from my face. it's strange, but after i got hurt my spider anxiety lessened a bit.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

The reason that mosquito bites cause inflammation is the same reason they spread disease. They inject spit when they poke you. Most people have a mild allergic reaction (skin-wise) to the amazing variety of chemicals in mosquito spit.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3077327/

Also, if you believe in animal totems I believe the spider stands for Mother Wisdom.

My 12 year old son who usually makes his bed on the floor in my room woke up a few nights ago to one ugly brown spider with splotchy black spots on the legs crawling on his face. He knocked it off and jumped up to turn the light on cause he knew something had been on him. We didn't see anything, so he turned the light out, laid back down to go back to sleep and the thing comes crawling across the covers. He has been in my bed since.

I don't know why spiders make me want to destroy them so much. I guess its out of fear they will be eating me when I'm sleeping. A few spiders I let live ended up biting me as I slept and it put me into a spider killing rage!!

Some spiders I let live though because they look cute and harmless. But....BUT the ones that look like they could do some damage I crush with my crutch over and over again. Its something to witness because its not just once I keep going at it for awhile like some psycho who just murdered someone. I think the amount of times I hit it with the crutch is directly proportional to how big it was or how scarey it looked

I remember one morning in NC when I was going to take a shower I hobble in there and sit on the toilet seat to undress and as I reach down to take off my sock this huge mother f'ing black spider was there. HE NOT ONLY WAS THERE BUT he put up his 2 front legs like he was challenging me to a death match. NOT OKAY SPIDER ... YOU WILL FEEL MY WRATH.
    He realized his mistake soon after when he saw my crutch coming for him. He didn’t realize some humans have crutches I guess. The first strike was a miss and he was headed straight for my leg! It was my bad leg so I couldn’t move it, it was just going to take the spider attack if he got to it in time.

He was jumping over my socks like he was in the Olympics, I could tell he wanted a taste as soon as I saw his 10 eyes and right when he was about to get to my foot I DESTROY HIM!
    Again, I went on my insane smashing rage as I crush him over and over again. I wish I could see my face when I smash spiders. After that I take my shower pretending a life threatening attack didn’t just happen. I hop out of my room and roommates are like WTF DID YOU DO IN THERE. As I look down at my hands, I can still smell the faint hint of death on them. I look up slowly and whisper I was in an epic battle .... and I am the VICTOR! Then I do a back flip and MID AIR OF THE BACK FLIP I GROW MOTHA FUCKING ANGEL WINGS and fly the f outa there. I fly to starbucks and then to work. Needless to say the Boss was impressed I was a few minutes early and that I had wings. I don't find snakes or rats scary though.
    Last edited by mr_coffee; 09-13-2009 at 04:19 AM.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Quote Originally Posted by geege View Post
    The reason that mosquito bites cause inflammation is the same reason they spread disease. They inject spit when they poke you. Most people have a mild allergic reaction (skin-wise) to the amazing variety of chemicals in mosquito spit.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3077327/

Also, if you believe in animal totems I believe the spider stands for Mother Wisdom.
    The reason why the mosquitos use the "spit" is because it contains an anti-coagulant, which keeps the blood flowing. But it would seem to me that the most successful mosquito would be one that invested a spit that does not cause an allergic response and thereby can feed getting the human upset. But, perhaps humans who hates insect bites and takes measures to avoid being bitten may have an evolutionary advantage over those who don't mind being bitten and may get bitten more. In other words, we evolved mechanisms to become allergic to insect bits because it motivates us to not be around insects.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee View Post
    I don't know why spiders make me want to destroy them so much. I guess its out of fear they will be eating me when I'm sleeping. A few spiders I let live ended up biting me as I slept and it put me into a spider killing rage!!

Some spiders I let live though because they look cute and harmless. But....BUT the ones that look like they could do some damage I crush with my crutch over and over again. Its something to witness because its not just once I keep going at it for awhile like some psycho who just murdered someone. I think the amount of times I hit it with the crutch is directly proportional to how big it was or how scarey it looked

I remember one morning in NC when I was going to take a shower I hobble in there and sit on the toilet seat to undress and as I reach down to take off my sock this huge mother f'ing black spider was there. HE NOT ONLY WAS THERE BUT he put up his 2 front legs like he was challenging me to a death match. NOT OKAY SPIDER ... YOU WILL FEEL MY WRATH.
    He realized his mistake soon after when he saw my crutch coming for him. He didn’t realize some humans have crutches I guess. The first strike was a miss and he was headed straight for my leg! It was my bad leg so I couldn’t move it, it was just going to take the spider attack if he got to it in time.

He was jumping over my socks like he was in the Olympics, I could tell he wanted a taste as soon as I saw his 10 eyes and right when he was about to get to my foot I DESTROY HIM!
    Again, I went on my insane smashing rage as I crush him over and over again. I wish I could see my face when I smash spiders. After that I take my shower pretending a life threatening attack didn’t just happen. I hop out of my room and roommates are like WTF DID YOU DO IN THERE. As I look down at my hands, I can still smell the faint hint of death on them. I look up slowly and whisper I was in an epic battle .... and I am the VICTOR! Then I do a back flip and MID AIR OF THE BACK FLIP I GROW MOTHA FUCKING ANGEL WINGS and fly the f outa there. I fly to starbucks and then to work. Needless to say the Boss was impressed I was a few minutes early and that I had wings. I don't find snakes or rats scary though.
    Ah, you see, this is the strange thing. Most spiders don't bite humans. They don't eat humans and they have no reason to attack a human. They eat things that bother humans. Yet, many hate them for some reason and, like Mr. Coffee, would go out of their way to smash them. So, why do humans hate spiders and imagine that spiders hate humans.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by cripple4life View Post
    anybody hear about the guy in cali who got bite by a brown "reculse" i don't know how it's spelled but he was a para for 20 years shortly after being bitten he started get feeling back and is now able to walk again.
    My mother got bit by a brown recluse spider on her foot. Her foot swelled to 3 times it's size and had a hole in the top of it that you could stick a roll of quarters in.
    Last edited by SKYCO; 08-25-2010 at 12:49 PM.